cubbies77 05-Feb-14
huntingbob 06-Feb-14
jims 06-Feb-14
Bill in MI 06-Feb-14
jims 06-Feb-14
LKH 06-Feb-14
BOWUNTR 06-Feb-14
28-Jan-14
If I remember correctly, in years past some bowsiters pooled together and were able to contract a truck driver to bring meat, etc. back to the lower 48.

I believe that the driver had a semi and a regular route to at least one central location.

Anybody know of this? Hoping to bring meat home from Anchorage area around the end of Sept.

Thx Bill

28-Jan-14
http://www.alaskameatexpress.com/

buddies used it in what ever the last date of pics posted. he said he might not be doing the run anymore. You would have to check with him as I don't have a clue

28-Jan-14
What are you intending to bring back? I haul all my gear in my 120Q cooler and use that for meat on the return trip and just transfer my gear to a large duffle. I had a bear and 2 big halibut to bring home a few years ago and stopped at Wal-Mart and bought freezer boxes to even out the weight of all the meat and checked it as luggage. Taped and sealed, the airlines knew the routine and it was all good when I got home. And it didn't cost an arm and a leg. I'd do the same thing with a Boo but a moose of course wound be a bit different.

28-Jan-14
Moose meat/antlers and bear hide/skull if very lucky

28-Jan-14
Bill, I'm hoping to have the same problem in late September. Depending on draw, we will be up northwest of Fairbanks. Right now we are seriously considering driving, with a medium size freezer in the truck. Still trying to decide what size will be needed to hold moose meat and a bear skull and hide.

28-Jan-14
I contacted the company at the link by bradbear (thank you!)

Looks like due to CITES they cannot transport bear parts at all. So, its for moose and caribou according to website info.

750 for a whole moose with quite a few options for pickup.

The website says 2014 is a go!

29-Jan-14
Any others out there as a backup?

29-Jan-14
I'm interested in this info too. Have a guided moose hunt (fly-in) this Sept in AK.

05-Feb-14
I'm interested too, it would be nice to find someone

05-Feb-14
We also used alaskameatexpress.com in 2012. Worked out great but he did fill up before the end of the season

06-Feb-14
Backup plan would be to make sure you fly Alaska Airlines all the way. Book through Alaska Airlines and you can fly it home for the standard extra baggage fee. Half the price I paid to use Alaska Air cargo last year. Do not use a third party on flights. If you change flights you will pay more than a one way ticket! Going to Alaska use Alaska Airlines. Call them and just ask them! The ticket will be close to other sites like the one we used but in the end way cheaper. No charge to change in Alaska and way cheaper to change flight home should you need to back to the lower 48. Bob.

06-Feb-14
I bought an over-sized cooler at an Anchorage Walmart on my trip that I loaded a mtn goat, black bear, halibut, and salmon in. It was around 100 lbs and I paid extra baggage fees on. I had a 2nd flight from Seattle to Denver so ended up having to pay twice. If possible get a 1 way flight! It was somewhat expensive but not near as expensive as having it sent back some other way. Each airlines is different so check them out! Also, take advantage of carry-ons! I carried on a 50 lb "daypack" that BARELY fit in the overheads plus another "handbag" with 20 more lbs of gear! I'm pretty sure I had 300 lbs of stuff I brought home.

06-Feb-14
I have booked with Alaska airlines, direct flight from O'Hare to Anchorage. I will check the excess baggage fees.

I found out that the semi-truck option cannot carry ANY bear parts. So for a large hide and head will be coming home on the plane.

I did not know you could even have the option of a 100 lb cooler. I thought that there was a 50lb max weight.

06-Feb-14
The lady at the Alaska Air window gave me a super dirty look when I set the 110 lber on the scale! It was excess baggage charge and it went on the plane....but not sure what they would do if it weighed much more than that? I was alone and you should have seen me trying to lug 300+ lbs through the parking lots and airports!

I have a giant guncase that has 2 wheels on 1 side that I gut the foam. I put my bow in it surrounded by clothes. It ended up weighing around 60 lbs. The wheeled guncase is nice because I can put a bunch of other stuff on top of it for lugging around the airport and parking lot. One thing to mention is if you aren't getting dropped off at the front door in Anchorage it is a LONG trip from the parking lot!

06-Feb-14
AK Air has the 50 limit, then adds a charge and another at 75. I thought 100 was the limit but not sure.

You can sometimes find a baggage handler to take your gear while you park but it won't be free. More common in summer/fall.

06-Feb-14
100# is the limit for Alaska Airlines extra overweight/oversize baggage. Sign up as an Alaska Air Cargo Known Shipper and it comes out to about a dollar a pound to ship refridgerated cargo. Cheaper than any other method, besides extra baggage. Ed F

• Sitka Gear