newfielander 19-Mar-14
Sage Buffalo 19-Mar-14
dhaverstick 19-Mar-14
turkeyhunter 19-Mar-14
Mint 01-Jul-14
newfielander 02-Nov-14
newfielander 02-Nov-14
05-Feb-14
After doing a lot of research, I booked a 2015 hunt with Portland Creek Outfitters through Premier Hunting Adventures. Now the waiting begins...

Being a longbow shooter, my main concern was finding an outfitter who truly understood that I needed to get CLOSE to that moose in order to shoot it. I looked at a bunch of different outfitters in Newfoundland and one in Alberta and agonized over all the details. All had good reputations and similar hunting camps so it finally came down to money.

I really liked AWGS in Alberta because they were an archery-only deal and the one owner was a stickbow shooter. However, I could fly to Portland Creek Outfitters in NF, kill a moose and ship it home cheaper than I could drive to Edmonton and back. Plus, I talked to two bowhunters who used PCO last year and they both had nothing but good things to say about the outfitter. And they both killed a moose!

Now I just gotta get in shape.

Darren

05-Feb-14
good luck!

05-Feb-14
Does PCO have any hunters that didn't kill animals that you can talk to? Always nice to hear what they have to say also.

Good luck on your trip. Remember to post your pictures and your story when you return.

Huntn' Addict

05-Feb-14
Looking forward to your story, first hand. I'll be going with Darren on this trip. It will be here before we know it. Time to get back in shape .

06-Feb-14
I hunted Newfie last year and talked to 2 guys from Mich. that didn't kill at PCO.. They passed 4 moose the first day and never seen another after that.

06-Feb-14
No moose gets a pass with me! Big, little, ugly - If it's in range and I have a good shot then I'm gonna stick that animal with an arrow.

Darren

06-Feb-14
That's the way I did it.

06-Feb-14
What are the dates you guys are going up there? I just booked with MVO for Oct 4-11, 2015. Good luck on your hunt!

06-Feb-14
We will be up there Sept 20th-27th. I looked hard at MVO and had a really nice conversation with Dean McDonald, the owner. I have read and heard nothing but good things about that outfit. Good luck to you too!

06-Feb-14
One of the guides for Portland Creek is a commercial fisherman and has a fishing cabin near us. He told me last summer that one young guy he guided was after a trophy and when he finally had the shot with a rifle blew it. He booked again because he saw alot of moose. An old guy in his 80's he guided hadn't seen many and on his last day, they spotted a bull over 200 yards away. Before he could tell him "there's one," the old guy snapped his rifle up and dropped it. We drive right by Portland Creek and I stopped by the outfitters house but he was busy getting ready for the season. They have a good reputation up on the Great Northern Pen.

06-Feb-14
One of the guides for Portland Creek is a commercial fisherman and has a fishing cabin near us. He told me last summer that one young guy he guided was after a trophy and when he finally had the shot with a rifle blew it. He booked again because he saw alot of moose. An old guy in his 80's he guided hadn't seen many and on his last day, they spotted a bull over 200 yards away. Before he could tell him "there's one," the old guy snapped his rifle up and dropped it. We drive right by Portland Creek and I stopped by the outfitters house but he was busy getting ready for the season. They have a good reputation up on the Great Northern Pen. There are ALOT of moose here. Some areas have been hurt by overgrazing and the moose move. Our campsite is near Eddies Cove West and the moose have thinned out some as they have moved to find browse. Still, the locals I know up there all got moose. Darren, you are going to have a ball. Newfies are great people and love a good time. They work hard and party hard. Warning, don't fish there, it will spoil you for life. Since going to Newfie every summer for the last 34 years, I hardly ever fish NH anymore, and I live near the border.

06-Feb-14
You'll have a ball regardless of what you come home with... I spent New Years Eve in St. Johns one time when I was in the USCG.. I don't believe I've ever had more fun at a New Years Party... Those Newfies are crazy (in a good sort of way). Hard to believe that was over 40 years ago now......

Do you have tags for a bear or caribou?

06-Feb-14
Ahhh yesss, George Street.....

06-Feb-14
I if you see a ford pickup from southdakota say hi, we will be with ironbound oct 3 - 10. Hope we all are packin home moose, good luck!

08-Feb-14
My Newfie hunt taught me a big lesson. There are guides who take bowhunters, and bowhunting guides. They are very, very different.

Best of luck to you on your hunt.

TBB

16-Mar-14
Darren I hunting PCO the last week of September 2013. I can share a lot of helpful information with you . Unfortunately the weather was absolutely a wash. Worst weather I have ever seen wind/rain/fog 5 camps never got in till Friday that week to hunt due to weather . Our camp we saw one moose all week and it went back with us to New York. I blame the lack of Moose on the weather. 40mph winds fog so thick your best shot would be 30 yards. And rain so hard you couldn't see. We heard Moose couldn't see them. We are going back up to PCO in 2015 sept 27-oct 4th.

Ny hunter

16-Mar-14
Darren what camp are you hunting at PCO we will be going to Cat Arm.

17-Mar-14
Eric, I'm not sure what camp we will be hunting out of. I sure would like to talk to you about your trip, though.

Darren

17-Mar-14
What week are you going as that's the key to moose hunting with a bow in NL.

If you are going during the rut you shuold be fine.

BTW Almost no one bowhunts in NL so don't worry about whether your guide understands bowhunting. It's more important he knows how to call, the land and where the moose come from.

17-Mar-14
Sage Buffalo, we will be hunting the last week of September. From my research, I figured that would be early enough in the rut that the bulls would be receptive to calls but not be with a bunch of cows.

17-Mar-14
Darren sent you a pm with my contact info

Eric

17-Mar-14
You chose a good week. You should be into a lot of animals.

19-Mar-14
Guys I'm a guide here in Newfoundland and the number 1 problem I have with hunters is they don't bring a fleece suit of cloths when bow hunting,moose are fearless in the rut, but don't lose their sense of hearing,and scratchy clothes is a pain for the guide because no matter how good a caller he is, once you get the bull to within 100 yards if he hears strange noises, your chances of getting the bull any closer is slim. Many guides don't even know the difference actually, as long as they have nice camo cloths on they think they have great gear,its dead wrong. Tradebow Bob your exactly right about the types of guides you can get and unfortunately Sage Buffalo your correct about not a whole lot of guides or even hunters bow hunt. Its more of a (get my meat for the winter) attitude over the challenge of a bow hunt. Also just to encourage you guys that are not booked in the rut if you got a good guide it don't matter what time of year it is (OFCOURSE RUT IS BEST) but if your guide knows his stuff he should be able to get in 40 yards of a bull anytime during the season.

19-Mar-14
Guys I'm a guide here in Newfoundland and the number 1 problem I have with hunters is they don't bring a fleece suit of cloths when bow hunting,moose are fearless in the rut, but don't lose their sense of hearing,and scratchy clothes is a pain for the guide because no matter how good a caller he is, once you get the bull to within 100 yards if he hears strange noises, your chances of getting the bull any closer is slim. Many guides don't even know the difference actually, as long as they have nice camo cloths on they think they have great gear,its dead wrong. Tradebow Bob your exactly right about the types of guides you can get and unfortunately Sage Buffalo your correct about not a whole lot of guides or even hunters bow hunt. Its more of a (get my meat for the winter) attitude over the challenge of a bow hunt. Also just to encourage you guys that are not booked in the rut if you got a good guide it don't matter what time of year it is (OFCOURSE RUT IS BEST) but if your guide knows is stuff he should be able to get in 40 yards of a bull anytime during the season.

19-Mar-14
I think my #1 piece (ok maybe not #1 but top 3) of advice for guys going to NL is if you want to shoot a trophy and nothing else you better tell your guide because 99% of Newfies only shoot moose for meat - meaning that they won't shoot anything over 2 1/2 years old. It's actually kind of awesome to hear them say that anything with a big rack walks.

19-Mar-14
If it's got moose hair on it then that's good enough for me. Them things are good to eat!

19-Mar-14
Newfielander I agree 100% that moose can be called in early season and hunted with a bow. Last year second week of the bow season (September 10th)bulls were coming to the call great...we have the video of that.

01-Jul-14
"There are guides who take bowhunters, and bowhunting guides."

No truer words have been spoken. I had a bunch of friends that went last year with a well known and recommended outfitter and once the guides saw the longbows they were upset. They wanted to guide rifle hunters that could shoot a moose at 150 yards. The four bow hunters came home saying it was the worst hunt they have ever been on.

For me, I won't go on any hunt if they don't cater exclusively to bow hunters or I book thru Bow Hunting Safari Consultants. I've been burned too many times too.

02-Nov-14

newfielander's embedded Photo
Guys if you want to bow hunt make sure you come knowing it will be a 1 on 1 week.AND PLEASE READ MY ABOVE COMMENT AS WELL. What ya all think of this bull, this is well after the rut and here he is coming, straight to me, I stop it at 50-60 yards. I know without a doubt it would have come closer!

02-Nov-14

• Sitka Gear