MathewsMan 08-Feb-14
sticksender 08-Feb-14
cnelk 09-Feb-14
fubar racin 09-Feb-14
cnelk 09-Feb-14
Jaquomo_feral 09-Feb-14
standswittaknife 09-Feb-14
08-Feb-14
I'd be interested to hear what you think the best Moose GMU is in Colorado. I've never actually tried to draw yet as I've just been putting in for points now for the last 8 years. I thought it was about time to start doing some research and start trying to draw. Thanks for any insight you may have.

08-Feb-14
Any unit you get blessed to draw in. It took me more than 8 years to draw a cow tag after having applied for a bull for a long time.

08-Feb-14
If I was a resident, I wouldn't fret over which unit. I'd get drawn for any open unit near home so I could scout like hell the last 6 weeks prior to bow season. The main roadblock to that plan is the extreme difficulty of drawing a tag, even for residents who have max points. With over 10,000 residents holding 3 or more preference points and only about 95 bull tags available to residents each year, it's not anything to be counted on. Alternative is to be wise like Scotty, and go for a cow tag.

09-Feb-14
Like I mentioned on your post on the CO forum, it took me 18 years of applying before I finally drew. I would definitely try the Resident Only moose units or even new moose units before the most popular units 171/6.

It is still just a lottery as a 15yr old kid drew the year after I did. It was his 4th year of applying.

Good Luck

09-Feb-14
I have 8 points for cow in 171 and my wife's grandfather has something like 28 for bull in unit 171 so if you want a bull you may try else ware lol then again if ya want a cow still look else ware I want one lol jk!

09-Feb-14
FYI

Moose Pref Points are not GMU or male/female specific.

09-Feb-14
Don't get wigged out over number of "points". Everyone has only 3, which is the max you can accumulate. The weighted points are just a divisor of the number assigned to your application. You can draw just as easily with 3+1 as with 3+13. A NR friend drew the one NR tag for my unit with 3+2 a couple years ago.

As sticksender notes, first challenge is to draw. Then you need to find and keep tabs on a bull until the archery season starts.

09-Feb-14
As he said... that lou guy...

• Sitka Gear