TSI 26-Feb-14
Confused 26-Feb-14
Ace 26-Feb-14
ToddT 26-Feb-14
TSI 26-Feb-14
Ace 26-Feb-14
mixed bag 26-Feb-14
19-Feb-14
Thinking about entering the past few years.now that I've dropped Vt. maybe I should use that money towards applying in NB.I know it costs more.does anyone know the draw odds or how long it takes to typically draw the tag.I know you can get lucky and draw first year,but whats the average length of time

19-Feb-14
Draw odds will be less this year as 50% of the tags are now allocated qualified outfitters that have registered buisiness.You will be able to buy a moose hunt from outfitter that recieves a tag.or get drawn.

19-Feb-14
NB used to say their odds were 1 in 12. I have no idea if that has anything to do with reality. I don't know if you are aware of this but the NB moose season is only 3 days long. I'm still applying for NB as I have done several times with no tag yet.

19-Feb-14
I have friends over near Moncton. The places they hunt odds are way better for non-residents than for residents. Plus I think, if I remember right, a non-res tag is good anywhere and a resident tag only for one unit.

They bug me all the time to apply but they party hunt over there and I can see them rubbing their triggers when they ask me to apply. lol I said if I draw either I kill my moose or I go home empty handed. No way they will let that happen!

I go up for bears and tease them about being able to draw easy if I wanted one. lol Odds are tough for them. My one buddy has killed 5 moose and never drew his own tag. I said yeah... you're just the guy I want to take for a walk with my moose tag! Not! I haven't applied because of that.

I see moose every day when I'm up there. I could kill one in 3 days for sure.... if old Marco and Marcelle would give me that long!

19-Feb-14
Mule that is funny indeed. Lol I don't think I would want someone shooting my moose either:)

19-Feb-14
Outfitter told me $3500 for 3 days if he gets an outfitter permit.

Seen some good bulls up there

23-Feb-14
Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal if they have big bulls.How do you find out what outfitters got tags?And how much are the non res. tag fees?

23-Feb-14
Don't you have to have an outfitter anyways if you're from the states? What's the point of drawing if they have outfitter tags and you have to pay anyways?

23-Feb-14
That's true,never even crossed my mind.I guess if you want the guaranteed tag your going to pay BIG for it

23-Feb-14
Lots of moose in NB and big moose. I've been applying for 12 years and still waiting to be picked, maybe this year.

24-Feb-14
Non res draw odds for the 100 NB non res moose tags in year 2011 and 2012 were 1 in 26+ both years... 2648 non res apps in 2011 and 2608 in 2012...I couldn't find data for 2013.

24-Feb-14
I applied in 2004 and drew on the first try. Hunted those 3 days with a good friend of mine who is an outfitter. Very hot those 3 days. I see moose every year we go up there, but only saw one when I had a tag in my pocket. I'll apply again sometime.

24-Feb-14
When is the dead line and can you build points? Don't want to draw this year but next year would be nice.

24-Feb-14
Purely random draw.

24-Feb-14
April 30 app deadline...no point system...random draw.

Is the new Outfitter 50 tag lottery in addition to the 100 non res tag quota that has been in place for years?

TSI- So do you have a list of hunters lined up already?

25-Feb-14
I have all our documents filed and will see on May 13 the numbers.

25-Feb-14
TSI, man I can see a possible problem here.

Example, Outfitters get tags to sell and guide the hunters, Then us guys in the lottery pull tags- call outfitters and find out their full due to selling tags and hunts already.

Is there a possibility that this might happen? Could it drive up guiding prices?

Whats your opinion?

Bill V.

25-Feb-14
Bill there is no possibility of that happening.There is plenty of guys you can call.Some guides and outfitters that dont qualify for allocation do qualify to take moose hunters drawn in the lottery,they just cant have an allocated license.No shortage of Guides.Yes prices will go up,no one likes to hear that but generally moose hunts have been sold too cheap and nearly impossible to make a profit.Im sure once the allocations are out they will be reasonable.

25-Feb-14
Yes Bill that could happen. If I draw a tag and Dave can't guide me I'm gonna spread rumors and inunendo that Daves a communist spy and vice President of North American PITA operations!

hahahaha, Mike

25-Feb-14
OK FLA, I can add to the rumor. lol

Ok Dave, hope it all works out.

Good luck in the draw.

Bill V.

25-Feb-14
I'm in for the draw now.Figured what the heck,4% odds is a sure bet.Had to try anyway,can't win if you don't play and I'm dying for a moose hunt

25-Feb-14
No luck for me last 2 years. No luck in Maine and several other states after about 7-8 years of applying. I've seen a pile of moose IN NB in June. Sometimes several in a day.

26-Feb-14
Not sure TSI where in the application it calls for filing income tax?Yes 50 licenses from the 100 licenses allocated to non-residents 50 of them has been allotted to OUTFITTERS or GUIDES that have been in business with licensed accommodations and a business number.The license fee remains the same as before.Only difference is the successful Outfitter or Guide that receives a license has to be the one purchase the license and application fee.So with being said the price of a moose hunt will not change BUT is up to the owner of the license to charge as he feels he can receive.After all this is the largest big game animal in North America.For more information contact the provincial DNR or one of the 2 outfitter associations for accurate information.Most outfitters have a backlog of hunters waiting and the other 50 licenses are up for grabs to Outfitters or Guides.

26-Feb-14
Confused perhaps you could explain who you are so the guys are better aware.Dale is the Acting President of the New Brunswick Proffessional Outfitters Association in NB,and a long time Outfitter, Knoxville lodge.Im sure he would be happy to take any Non resident that is looking for a Moose outfitter from the regular lottery and in all likelyhood he will have a tag or tags for sale.

26-Feb-14
To better clarify the price of a moose hunt you have to remember before YOU applied and paid application fee and purchased license where this way the outfitter has already invested in applying and purchasing the license.The cost of the actual hunt would be outfitters fee which includes license.But the Outfitter or guide still has to determine the one zone the license would be good in.

26-Feb-14
Confused, so if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the price the Outfitters will charge is the same as what they Charge clients who draw their own tag, plus the cost of that tag and the application fee?

No premium?

26-Feb-14
Ace, yes, I would say that would be accurate. At least for this first year. But then, after being able to advertise a possible guaranteed moose hunt, as well as feeling out the demand, the cost will most definitely go up. So if you are serious about a moose hunt in New Brunswick, and can swing it, this would be the year to make it happen.

26-Feb-14
Ace Dale cant tell you what outfitters will charge because he has no say in that nor is it legislated.The onlything that remains the same is the cost of the license---outfitters can not charge more than the value indicated on the license.The costs of the hunts will likely go go up accross the board do to demand and low number of tags available.Price should be discused with the business you wish to hunt with,no one here has any right to discuss other private busness price levels etc.Dale is an outfitter im sure you can call him directly to discuss his price level for his moose hunts.

26-Feb-14
That's what I figured Dave (TSI), he seemed to indicate the opposite.

I see no reason why anyone would charge less than what the marketplace laws of supply and demand would allow. I'm as much of a capitalist as the next guy.

What it means to the average hunter is that there are fewer tags available to draw that allow you to pick any guide you want (half the number I guess).

26-Feb-14
Yes,but it will also knock the rich people out of the lottery as they have probably already made plans with an outfitter who will be purchasing some I'm dying to see what these 3 day hunts go for.I will buy a guaranteed tag hunt unless the price is ridiculous.I'm going to look up some outfitters now just to see how much they raise prices over this.Not that they shouldn't,but will be interesting to see by how much

• Sitka Gear