tradmt 28-Feb-14
Teeton 28-Feb-14
bb 28-Feb-14
CT bow junkie 28-Feb-14
Rayzor 02-Mar-14
sarglen 03-Mar-14
Bill in MI 03-Mar-14
26-Feb-14
Alright guys, I know this topic has come up more than once in the past, but I'll bring it up again.

I am going to Newfoundland this fall on my first moose hunt. I need to start tweaking my setup(heavier arrows) and getting ready. What broadheads do you recommend for moose? I know a fixed head, but which ones in particular? I'm shooting a Mathews DXT at 62 lbs, if that matters to anyone.

Thanks for your input.

iceman

26-Feb-14
Trophy taker shuttle t lock

Slick trick standard

VPA

Those are three great heads in my opinion

26-Feb-14
Iceman that is the exact set-up I'm shooting now also. I'm shooting Montecs and am happy with every single one piece broadhead I've fired out of my bow. This year, Snuffer SS will be given a try. Just for the sake of trying different but similar heads. I've guided many hunters to their moose, and with my experience, a moose it pretty darn easy to kill if hit "where he lives". I saw a mechanical bounce off a huge bull when hit in a rib at less than 10 yards and since then have favored one piece non-mechanicals. Personally I've shot 4 bulls with Thunderheads and Strikers only to see them tip over in 40 yards.

26-Feb-14
Bear track, same draw weight as me too? how heavy are your arrows?

26-Feb-14
VPA in a fixed blade would be my choice, lots of good options out there though.

26-Feb-14
Give our stinger buzzcuts a try, we have had a lot of bowhunters take moose with our buzzcut 2 and 4 blade. lifetime replacement guarantee. If you bend or break one all you got to do is email us a picture of the damaged head and we replace. thanks

26-Feb-14
Yup, 62lbs. and arrows are red Maxima 350 and are 29 1/2 inches long tipped with 100gr. Montec CS's I'd feel comfortable shooting anything with my setup. Even have an ugly WB on it.

26-Feb-14
I kill them just fine with 90 gr Muzzy.

26-Feb-14
bear track, what is the total weight of your arrow?

26-Feb-14
Sorry Iceman, I don't get into that. I'm old school. The pro shop looks at the chart, cut my arrows and I shoot. Maybe someone here knows, but I don't. It's like bb said, most anything will kill. My wife shoots a 75gr. Muzzy that Michele Eichler gave her with no problem. Getting the shot, should be your biggest concern. Your woodsmanship will get you your moose.

26-Feb-14
Second the 90 grain Muzzy. Although my first arrow last year was sufficient, I dropped a few more arrows into the breadbasket to ensure it was not going to move.

26-Feb-14
Gotcha. The ones I am shooting now only weigh about 355-360 grains(with a 100gr broadhead). Just worried that was too light for moose.

26-Feb-14
I am shooting a 500 grain total weight arrow this fall for moose/elk/antelope/deer/turkey (everything). FMJs pushing a 125 grain Slick Trick Mag for me. No experience with it yet, hopefully I can report back around Sept 21st when I return to civilization.

26-Feb-14
TEmbry- I've had better penetration with the standard out of my 70# Bowtech with 27" DL. On my Elk hunt, I switched from the magnum to the standard and had a complete pass-through angling through the chest.

I think a lot of guys will shoot the smaller diameter on Elk & especially Moose. What horsepower are you pushing that 500gr arrow with?

26-Feb-14
70# Helim at 29". Not too concerned with penetration at this point (going from Rages these will penetrate MUCH better than I am used to anyway ha).

Been shooting this arrow setup for 6 years now out of various bows and always had great penetration with large expandables...just looking to simplify my setup this year with bigger critters on the horizon.

26-Feb-14
I have taken numerous elk and moose with 370gr 68 # and g5 stickers always a pass through. 30yds

26-Feb-14
I have shot 2 bull moose with magnus stinger 4 blade and both were complete pass through. One with a 57# recurve with 510 gr. arrow at 38 yards and the other with a 60 # Mathews Heli M with 450 gr arrow at 24 yards. Short recovery and great blood trail.

27-Feb-14
I'm thinking I need to increase my arrow weight to above 420 gr or so.

27-Feb-14
QAD Exodus are totally awesome, the toughest and best flying fixed I have used

27-Feb-14
Two bulls with NAP Spitfires and one with Slick Trick.

Hunting partner is three for three with NAP Spitfires.

All short blood trails.

27-Feb-14
Iceman, I would get that arrow/head weight up as you suggest. in 2012 I used a 67lb Hoyt AM, 29 inch draw with a 460 grain total wt 340FMJ with a VPA 100 head.

My buddy shot a similar wt. Carbon Matrix with a shorter draw and I believe 400-420 gr total. Rocky Mountain Titanium.

These were Ak/Yukon bulls and should be a bit bigger bodied than what you will be after in Nf. I got full penetration but left the arrow in him. Broke a rib going in and out.

He blew clean through his bulls heart.

I am sure a lighter arrow would have killed them just as dead but with their big bones and mass I prefer a heavier arrow.

27-Feb-14
My DL is only 27", and I'm shooting 62 lbs. Just hoping by increasing the weight to 420 or so, it won't slow it down too much. I'm only shooting around 262-265 fps now.

27-Feb-14
255 feet per second at 420 is still over 60 KE. speed won't be an issue that I would worry about. Others may disagree:)

27-Feb-14
I'd worry a hell of a lot more about arrow weight than speed.

27-Feb-14
zwickey delta

27-Feb-14
Easton 400 FMJ should get you close to 420 gr., maybe a tad more if you shoot a 28" arrow. I really like NAP Hell Razors. They have worked for me with moose and elk at 57 lbs with my Mathews EZ7 & FMJ.

28-Feb-14
I am going on a BC Moose/Bison hunt in 2015.. I have narrowed it down to either the VPA two blade or a silver flame 2 blade.. If i can get the silver flame XL to fly good i may go with that one..

28-Feb-14
My arrow setup is Gold tip kinetic 200s with 200 grains up front.. Total arrow weight is 570 grains.. Bow is pushing it 275

28-Feb-14
Rick M, You are not the first one to tell me that.

Deacon Dave, I think that's the arrow I will switch to. The Easton 400 FMJ.

28-Feb-14
I shot a nice bull a couple years ago using Thunderheads. Had a complete pass through the lung area.

28-Feb-14
Wy moose with slick trick, complete passthrough, broadside, double lung, 35yds.

28-Feb-14
One piece steel.

28-Feb-14
Iceman, Bear Tracker's arrows setup (red maxima) 350 is right around 410 grins, depending on what vanes he is using.. You may just add a 125 grain head to your setup. That will add 25 grains to it, making your setup about 435 grains. I think that arrow and your setup should shoot 125 grain heads just fine. Just get 125 grain field tip and try them.. If they work. Get your b head and see if you can get them to tune.. Lot of good b heads out there that will kill moose. You pick the one you like and try them at the range to see how it goes.. I can name 5 or 6 heads that guys have killed moose with.. I know a guy that's killed 2 moose with a rocket steel head expandable. Respectfully Tee

28-Feb-14
Truth be known, your whitetail setup will kill Moose just fine. If it's marginal for white tail, I wouldn't use it. but if you can shoot through whitetail and into the ground on the other side, which most can, it will work for Moose.

28-Feb-14
Definitely a strong durable fixed blade. Slick trick has a full line of super strong razor sharp extremely accurate heads.

02-Mar-14
Our VPAs have killed quite a few moose using both modern and trad bows using weights and models all over our line.

My set ups are 27 and 27.5" draw and range from 54-62# on my Athens compounds. I myself have never taken a moose (hoping to change that next year) but have done and unreal amount of testing with setups very similar to yours with arrows and heads of about every combination I could think of. Every screw in model in our VPA broadhead line has been shoot many times with several different arrow brands/models across my bows. The weights have ranged from a light 333gr total weight to really heavy 736gr. I have found my sweet spot for maximum penetration without severe loss off trajectory at 50 yards for my 27/62 compound fell in the 475-520gr range. Penetration was great but trajectory started really falling off in a big way past 50 yards with heavier set ups than that. My best set up to date weighs 511gr. It is the new Carbon Express Pile Driver Pass Through Extreme 350s cut to 27 1/2". They are about 28" including the half-outsert. I foot them across the joint using a 1 3/4" section of 2016 XX75 shaft then screw in my favorite 150gr VPA 3 blade. It gives you 208gr total up front. No penetration worries there. Its about as bullet proof a set up as you will find. I have shot them into steel drums without damage. A moose should be no problem. Our two blades would do well by you too.

There are no tougher heads on the market and your satisfaction is guaranteed.

03-Mar-14
I shoot the injection ac 400 with muzzy trocore head (100grn) and the fmj 400's you might have to paper tune your bow if you change to the new 2014 fmj cause its a smaller diameter than the 2013 style and also switched to the deep 6 inserts. Just a fyi I am really impressed with the new style muzzy head as it shoots very similar to your field tips, even at 70 yards. 1 inch lower. The FMJ (2013 style)looses about 8 fps, and the injection ac is about 6 fps slower compared to the regular injection arrow. 27.5 in. draw 70lb Mathews Helim. There is another broadhead out the cuts a cloverleaf pattern and shoots very close to the field tip as well. I cant remember the name of it right now, but got some very awesome reviews from some Idaho elk hunters that came into my friends shop. even though its only a 1 inch diameter, it does have 5 inches of cutting surface. passed through Elk at 50 yards and all three Elk taken with them traveled less than 30 yards. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet as I want to get a cheaper target to destroy with them as they are that aggressive cutting when they penetrate. Im just lucky that I get to test all of the new stuff at my friends shop. I don't do the mechanical heads cause of seeing too many not open during hunts.. I hope that this helps!

03-Mar-14
Rayzor- do you have any photos of your footed arrow?

What kind of cement are you using on it?

THx Bill

• Sitka Gear