Bear Track 03-Dec-14
sureshot 03-Dec-14
hunting dad 03-Dec-14
t-roy 03-Dec-14
Rob in VT 03-Dec-14
Mule Power 04-Dec-14
Full_Curl 05-Dec-14
05-Mar-14
I know this topic gets asked on here in various forms every year and I've read many previous posts, but here’s my individual travel planning challenge. I’ll be moose hunting late November this year in Alberta, Canada northwest of Grande Prairie. From where I live, it’s a 26 hour one-way trip by vehicle. I’ll be making the trip solo.

If I’m successful in taking a bull I’d like to obviously bring the antlers (split or unspilt), cape, and some meat back with me. I’d like to use my own local taxidermist.

I’m trying to determine the best logistics for travel and weighing the driving vs. flying options. For me personally, since I’m going solo, I’d MUCH rather fly if I can get most everything back home at a reasonable price but understand that driving might be the best option in the end.

Along with the antlers and cape, I’d like to bring home at least 100 pounds of meat but would bring back more or all of it if it were an option depending on type of travel.

I know that I can pack coolers, keeping them each under 50 pounds and check them as baggage with an airline but don’t know what a full moose cape will weigh and what I can do with the antlers split or unsplit…? I’m assuming the airline route, if even a possibility, is going to be very expensive.

Figure at a minimum for checked baggage: (1) Two 50 pound coolers with meat. (2) A cooler with the cape, don’t know what size would be needed or weight. (3) Huge bag with the antlers. If I can even find one to fit them and they will take them. (4) Possibly another checked bag of gear (I know I could always mail my gear home if needed as well)

I checked with the Alaska guy who transports moose back from Alaska to the lower 48 and he said he can’t pick up anything in Canada. Does anybody know any other similar services out there that do Canada? How about any other Bowsiters, individuals, trucking routes, etc. that might be traveling from the Grande Prairie, AB area to the upper Midwest anywhere that might be able to pick them up for me? Time really isn’t an issue as I am very flexible.

I understand that driving might be my best option in the end as I can control most of the variables, but I just want to be sure I know all my options.

Any insight would be appreciated from any folks who have experience with these types of trips. Any posts or PM’s are welcomed.

Thank you!

05-Mar-14
I'm heading up to Northern B.C. in September for a moose hunt...about the same distance for me going there as it is for you to Alberta (about a 25 hour drive for me). I looked at flying vs. driving and decided to drive. A moose is a lot of meat to bring back, and flying just didn't look like a very good option and I want to bring back every ounce that I can. I'm going to put an old Chest freezer in the back of my pickup. I don't want to freeze the meat, but want it chilled so I'll have the freezer plugged in when I start the trip back and then will use either dry ice or ice along the way. I"ll have at least one night in a motel, so I plan to plug the freezer in overnight.

Also, for me the trip going and coming is part of the adventure... I like to drive and take my time.. If I see something interesting along the way, I want the freedom to stop and look around, talk to people, etc.

Good luck on your hunt...

05-Mar-14
There are transporters in Canada but it depends where you are. They have a great one in Newfoundland - your outfitter should know. If he doesn't, it probably doesn't exist.

Most airlines will allow you to bring coolers to 100 lbs - the only problem is they get you for excessive weight and size which can be as much as $300+/cooler. If you just bring 2 home that's not a big deal.

50 lb coolers just wouldn't work well unless you don't take all the meat.

I would also check with someone like UPS Guaranteed Freight. It can be awesome but not sure of international implications.

When you calculate your expenses for driving remember to include:

work days missed due to driving + gas + (miles * 0.56) = cost.

That's the true cost of driving. If flying and shipping meat home is anywhere in that neighborhood I fly. I have 2 small children and a great job. If I am going to "waste" days it might as well be with them.

Every place is different so if I were you I would:

1. Ask outfitter for transporters. 2. Contact UPS and other shippers. 3. Calculate bringing meat back.

Either way, good luck and I hope you have a great hunt!

05-Mar-14
The other factor is that driving in late November can be a whole different story from driving in September.... A 26 hour drive can turn into a 40 hour plus drive very quickly if a storm blows in....... Having to lay up for a day waiting for the weather to clear is a very real possibility.

Work days missed due to driving? That's the great thing about being retired...I can take as long as I want!!!

05-Mar-14
I drove up to NB for a Moose hunt in 2011. The trip was 22 hours. Took several decent quality coolers and allowed the meat to "cool" for two days in outfitters freezer prior to departure. Brought antlers back, but no cape. Meat was fine when finally reached home. The thought of flying brought all the concerns you have noted, plus the added potential for the airlines to "misplace" your cargo, and ultimately lose all you meat. I ended up with 502lbs of meat after it was processed. I did witness a guy up there from North Carolina who had a chest freezer on the back of his pickup. He brought along a generator, and advised us he would start the generator every time he stopped for gas/meal or in a rest area on the way home. Not sure how it worked out, but he seemed like he knew what he was doing, as he mentioned using the same arrangement on a Western Elk hunt. By the way Grizzly Coolers makes a 400 quart cooler you could put an enormous amount of meat in. They are in-line with Yeti quality, and hold ice for a very long time. Hope your hunt/transport go well.

05-Mar-14
I flew to/from Alberta for a moose hunt. On the return flight, I packed the cape in a larger Rubbermaid tote- weighed 70 pounds (extra bag plus extra weight) and brought 50 pounds of frozen meat (extra bag charge- wish I could have brought more back). My outfitter shipped the antlers in a crate (cost about $300).

While I was there, another hunter in our group drove from the US hauling a trailer with a chest freezer and generator. He didn't mind the extra wait getting his moose butchered and frozen. Took it all home along with his antlers and cape. That plan seemed to work best if you have the time and the inclination to drive a long way.

06-Mar-14
I made the trip from western PA to moose hunt north of west Alberta. Brought back 3 moose for me and 2 for friends. I turned my truck bed into a cooler using sheets of that 2 inch thick blue board insulation. Had the moose processed up their locally and frozen. Went various times from early September to mid November and never had the capes or the meat thaw out. Friend and I flew up one spring for a bear hunt and brought 2 bear capes each, no meat. Cost ended up being almost double flying. PM me if you have any questions about turning the bed into a cooler.

06-Mar-14
I envy you retired guys!

06-Mar-14
When we caribou hunted in 07 we did a drive up hunt (about 24hr drive time). We pulled an enclosed trailer with a large freezer inside (commercial ice chest like you see outside of gas stations). We ran a large inverter from the truck's battery and with a good extension cord had the freezer plugged in and going anytime the truck was running. After 24hrs we had one black bear and 13 caribou (plus all capes) just starting to get frozen....it worked out awesome. No issues whatsoever with the truck alternator keeping up and we pulled it with an F150.

06-Mar-14
Good luck on your upcoming moose hunt. I go back and forth the Alberta a number of times each year(both driving and flying) the drive is about 22hrs. I find it easier to drive so I can bring back all my meat and trophies. It also allows some flexibility to leave when you're ready without having limits on baggage or worrying about if anything gets lost, damaged or spoiled. There is an expediter in Edmonton that I have used in the past when I flew and didn't have any issues. Pm me if you want details. Your outfitter should also have some good direction. Have fun!

06-Mar-14
I drove to Northern BC last fall, and it was 18 hours. I just took big coolers, and had lots of ice in the coolers. Brought back the antlers whole, and had plenty of room in a Ford Escape. Stopped overnight, and everything stayed nice a cool. Cheaper, than flying, and you get to keep all of your meat. However, remember that Alberta is a Chronic Waste Province. So your meat will need to be completely boned out before coming across the border. That is one of the reasons that I hunted BC instead of Alberta. Washington will not let you bring unboned eild game from a state or province where there is CW.

07-Mar-14
Thanks for all the helpful information!

Tatonka – Yes, I think driving in late November might be a whole different ball game. I have talked with a few people who have said that driving during that time of year in that region can be bad.

Sage Buffalo – Thanks for the tips. Wasted days driving, like you, doesn’t work too well for me. I’ll have to check out the shipping option.

I have read about making the foam cooler in the back of my truck and think that would be a great way to do it to bring back everything, but I would still have to drive.

The cooler/freezer in the truck sounds like a great option as well. I have done that on 15 hour drives with friends, but never this far and never solo.

Does anybody know any transporters in that area?

I found a guy who will only handle the antlers, skull, and cape, not meat. And I have to get it to Cranbrook, BC. Which would be about a 12hr trip by vehicle from where I’ll be hunting. Was thinking I could maybe ship it to him there from Grande Prairie, but I’m just thinking out loud.

If anybody else has any helpful recommendations, please feel free to add. Thank you!

07-Mar-14
I am going to Northern BC in 2015.. I would love to drive. But 37 hours is way to dang far... I will bring back 50-100 pounds of meat and donate the rest. My outfitter has a taxidermist there that will ship the cape and antlers back to me... And he doenst try to talk you into letting him mount it.

08-Mar-14
Ok did the drive with a trailer generator and freezer. 32 hours last Sept. Is time a limitation? if not be far ahead with truck freezer and 3500 watt or bigger gen. Debone the meat 400+ lbs cape 40-50lb and horns. Freeze all down run generator as you go if have to you don't want to invest money in trip and not be able to make most of meat and trophy. 400 lb of moose meat priceless. Cape the head, Debone skull bring cordless reciprocating saw cut backing off for Europeon dig brain matter outwith a spoon use boiling water to flush. Should be good to get across border. And above all have a truck there with all you might need. Dry ice was not available where we were. Good luck. The hunt and shot is the easy part after the hunt a day or two work begins.

08-Mar-14
Definitely drive if time is not the most important criteria. Cost wise is likely very little difference ,plus you can bring home another 300-400 pounds of meat. No hassles from "anti" airliners either.

I'm on the route to Alaska so every spring and fall I see many rigs with one or two large freezers heading north, full of beef, pork and chicken. Usually just one small generator keeping the freezers going. The ones going north in the spring are bringing domestic meat for Alaskan family. The ones going south in the fall are full of moose and fish.

I've lived and traveled in BC and Alberta since '75 and usually the roads are in good shape then still. You have no mountains or passes to travel through. The scenery is very appealing and the roads not busy.

Hook up with some Canuck Bowsiters that are on your route and enjoy some hospitality and make some new friends.

Make the trip a great part of your hunt!

10-Mar-14
Thanks guys. Time is a factor, but if I "had" to drive, I could make it work. I would be more than happy with 100 pounds of meat that I could do on the airline, but it's getting the cape and antlers back that seems to be more of the issue. So far there doesn't seem to be any real slam dunk option. I was thinking... with all the oil operations in AB and North Dakota, I'm sure some rigs are frequently going back and forth... I just need to find one that might be interested and make sure it's legal.

12-Mar-14
Does anybody have an idea of what a green frozen moose cape would weigh? Thanks!

12-Mar-14
Also as far as the antlers, what would a 50-60 inch set with skull plate weigh? I'm assuming 50 to 70 pounds?

As far as antler dimensions, would split antlers of a 50-60 inch bull fit into a box with linear dimensions (width + height + length) of less than 120 inches? I'm assuming this should be pretty easy as long as they are split, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks!

17-Mar-14
Hi Full Curl, I'm an outfitter in NW Grande Prairie area and you got it right in your opening post. 2 coolers with 50 lbs of meat in each one and a 3rd cooler with the cape. The cheap 48 qt coolers from walmart in Grande Prairie work perfect, just make sure your outfitter picks them up well before November, they sell out every year mid summer. They will hold 60 lbs of cut, wrapped and frozen meat in each one. A moose cape skinned close with no fat or meat on it will just fit in a 48 qt cooler and it will weigh around 40 lbs. It needs to be frozen AFTER it is put in the cooler OR salted and dried somewhat. If it is a big 50-60 inch bull then you might need a 60 qt cooler and it will still weigh under 50 lbs unless it is wet or full of wet salt.

Then the final thing is a big duffle bag for the antlers with the skull split, wrap your hunting clothes around the tips and skull plate, make sure the skull is clean and dry for customs clearance. If you kill a record class bull and don't want to split the skull then leave it with a local taxidermist for him to get the permits, build a crate and have it shipped later to your taxidermist or you but that bill will run you $300 to $600, maybe more. That is unless your outfitter says he will do the crating, permits and shipping.

Good luck on you hunt, would love to see pictures of a 60 inch Alberta bull!

18-Mar-14
What Mike says is the ticket. Another option is to leave the horns with your outfitter, then get them measured in 60 days and then split and ship. That will save you some money for sure.

24-Mar-14
Thanks guys. Any additional advice or information would be welcomed as well!

14-Apr-14
Good luck on your hunt Full_Curl!!! I was just curious as to which outfitter you are going to use? I have been thinking about a moose hunt in Alberta!

03-Dec-14
Hi guys. I got back last week from my hunt and was fortunate enough to take my first bull moose and complete the trip with minimal issues. I wanted to thank everybody on here who helped provide me information over the last year that greatly helped all the planning and logistics. There’s too many of you to thank individually but if it wasn’t for all the good information I gathered from this site, I would have had a much more difficult time working it all out. I had multiple posts on everything from gear recommendations to meat transport. Thank you to all who helped!

03-Dec-14
You're not getting away that easy Jon....pictures!!

03-Dec-14
Glad to hear you had a great trip.

03-Dec-14
Glad you had a good hunt. Now we need pics!! It's been awhile since I did my Alberta moose hunt. Would love to see some photos.

03-Dec-14
Congrats on your successful hunt.

Pics X3 please!!

03-Dec-14
So did you end up flying or driving? I wondered if one could fly up and get a rental and drive back. I'm sure there would be a hefty drop charge from the rental company but it might be worth it.

Congrats on your bull. Yes pics and the story please!

04-Dec-14
Pics X4 please! And a good story like T-Roy's!

05-Dec-14
I ended up flying. It was a tough decision and both options have their pluses and minuses. In the end I'm glad I flew with all the winter weather that I encountered that would of made driving tough and even cut into hunting days. Getting things back home is not going to be cheap but it is what it is I guess. Playing catch up still but will get to some photos when I can. Thanks for all the nice words... it was and adventure and experience I'll never forget.

• Sitka Gear