Elksnout 13-Mar-14
sbschindler 13-Mar-14
cnelk 13-Mar-14
huntingbob 13-Mar-14
Yellowjacket 16-Mar-14
elmer@laptop 16-Mar-14
elmer@laptop 16-Mar-14
11-Mar-14
Got our hunt in the books for this fall. Looks like we will be hunting Sept 6- 20. Likely spend the first week on a Lake and the second rafting down the river from there. All dependent on hunting activity, weather, rut, etc.

Can anyone suggest good educational or just entertaining moose hunting videos? Newb to calling/interacting with them, what to look for, etc. Just wanting to learn some of the basics so I don't come in as a complete moron for my hunting partner who has done this a time or two before.

Thanks fellas, fall can't get here soon enough!

11-Mar-14

Mule Power's Link
Mike Strahan's Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers is worth reading.

12-Mar-14
google Alex Gouthro moose videos. Buy his complete set of videos. Worth every penny, believe me!!!

12-Mar-14
Canuck is 100% right. I credit Alex's video completely for my successful DIY moose hunt. I'd have been lost without it. Best money I spent by far with regards to that hunt.

13-Mar-14
Love, Thunder, and Bull has a few videos by Wayne Kubat. They are rather cheesy, but they offer good calling examples.

13-Mar-14
I learned a lot from "Love, Thunder and Bull".

Also look at a book: In The Company of Moose" by Victor Van Ballenberghe. He was moose biologist for 30+ years. It has good info on moose behavior/life. Mine was $30.

Worth a look.

13-Mar-14
Lots and Lots of excellent free calling and hunting videos and info on the web, check out youtube. Even post on different moose hunting forums about the area you are hunting, you might get some good info that really helps you in other ways. Good luck to you and take heck of alot of pics or videos

13-Mar-14
where you hunting ???

13-Mar-14
Will be hunting outside of Dillingham in a draw unit, SW Alaska.

13-Mar-14
Mike's book is a must read to do any float hunting, but any videos, DVDs on calling are pretty much a waste of money, its pretty simple to use your own 2 hands to call in a bull moose.

13-Mar-14
The Gouthro DVD's teach you what calls to make and when, albeit its mostly for calling the Canadian moose, calling Canadian and calling Alaskan moose are a bit different.

13-Mar-14
The only difference in calling AK moose and CN moose is you need to add the "eh" to the canadian moose :)

In all seriousness. I bought A. Gouthro's 'Quick Fix' DVD and it is very informative and is about all you need to call moose.

Good Luck

13-Mar-14
cnelk is spot on. If you want the " Gouthro" series pm me and I will loan it to you providing you will return it. Bob.

16-Mar-14
Bush Pilot Bowman is a good entertaining read. Not all moose but some good moose stories in it.

16-Mar-14
Float Hunting Alaska's wild rivers is a good read and helpful.

Also, if you want to learn about moose in general, get "Ecology and Management of the North American Moose" by Franzmann and Schwartz.

16-Mar-14
More good books.

Moose Hunting in Alaska and "Becoming a Great Moose Hunter" by Richard Hackenberg. If you can still find becoming a great moose Hunter, it comes with a cassette of different calls all done by mouth. It is what me and my best friend used to learn to call.

I have lived and Hunted moose here in Alaska for 25 years. In my experience...meaning the techniques I have had the most success with, are as follows.

1. For locating bulls I almost exclusively use a cow call. If I am in the flats I use a roaming cow call. What that is is cow calling while slowly moving along. I call, put my cone to my ear and listen for a few minutes. If I Don't hear anything I slowly move forward about 10-15,minutes and call again. Then listen and move and call again, listen and then move 10 minutes and call again. This often brings bulls in on the run.

2. If I am on a high spot or on the edge I use a cow call if I am not seeing anything. I try to move about 25 yards or so below my glassing spot when I call. I also vary the direction towards which I call. I call from a glassing spot about every 20-30 minutes.

3.If I am on the edge of a big clearing or on a high glassing spot and a bull answers but I can't see him, I use a cow call till I can see him. Then I switch to a bull call and start raking brush with a small scapula that I carry . I try to bull call a little timidly at first so I sound like a younger moose that a big bull will want to come kick it's butt!!

4. When I use the bull call I generally do not call directly at the bull. And I tend to move 10-20 yards to the side from the spot I called from. The bulls will be focused on the spot you call from. They can pinpoint it quickly.

If possible have your guide or hunting partner call for you while you set up 20-50 yards in front of the caller and 10-15 yards to the side.

If alone once I have a bull located and coming in close, if I call agai it will be towards the side of me I want the bull to come to.

A key for the float part of your trip will be to get off the river 1/4-1/2 mile. You will see more moose that way. Many who float the rivers tend to stay on the river or gravel bars and that is a mistake. They see less moose than those who get off the river.

Pm me if you might want any more info. Good luck.

• Sitka Gear