12-Mar-14
I hate that show.....

I love that show-----

Some very nice remote house/properties.

Good luck, Robb

12-Mar-14
Took the words out of my mouth Pat

12-Mar-14
Got a sister-in-law that keeps talking about some house she found up in the Homer area. Guess she's trying to re-capture her youth?

I'd probably stay in it more than she would!

12-Mar-14
I can't over the fact you have to either fly in or take a boat into many of those properties. Many of those places are pretty remote for sure.

12-Mar-14
So let the beginning of the destruction begin of the last frontier. With all the shows about Alaska the crowds are going to start and you are going to see it change, unfortunately.

12-Mar-14
Don't think so they will spend two seasons at the most than it's back down to the lower 48.

12-Mar-14

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo

12-Mar-14

12-Mar-14

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo

12-Mar-14
Looks like a pretty good trade off to me Dan.

12-Mar-14
Once again, the word "reality" is somewhat of a misnomer!

I know a couple people who have been involved in having their "house search" filmed for this show.

Most of the dialog and situations are contrived. Yeah, I know, it's shocking isn't it?!

That said, there is not a ton of private land here to begin with. Too, there are not a ton of remote land/cabin sites available. And the law of supply and demand then mean that prices are high.

It is not very much like the real estate markets in the "small, flat states" in the L-48.

Pete

12-Mar-14
$300K will pay for a lot of trips there and back. Think I'll keep my money and just visit.

12-Mar-14
You can pay a lot for remote real estate in Alaska and you can also find relative bargains. I've been appraising it for over 30 years and during that timeframe I've found a few pieces I think were bargains that provide unique places to hunt. I’ve paid as little as $3,000 for roughly 5.00 acres and I think the most I’ve paid was $26,000 for 10.00 acres. Of course, I’ve paid a lot more to build improvements on some pieces, but that comes with the territory.

12-Mar-14
"I imagine food plots are not that popular up there"

By the same token, the aftermath of a 20,000 fire is in essence just a big ol' moose food plot!

12-Mar-14
My wife watches it and I've watched it a couple times with her. These types of shows are more annoying than interesting. I'm also surprised at some of the prices.

I'd like to have a place on/near the water by Jeauno some day that could be accessed by water.

12-Mar-14
I would imagine building and infrastructure could be pretty expensive... especially in some of the more remote places. Food, etc. as well I guess.

Kind of surprised to hear the lack of private property for such a huge place. In state 50 we are just the opposite, small place nearly all private property. I think I like yours better...

I've heard the saying "you couldn't pay me to live there..." but in AK apparently they do...

12-Mar-14
The people buying those places are funny. They won't last.

I like the show "Alaska: The Last Frontier" with the Kilcher family ranching cattle along the coast. They at least do some hunting and fishing for food. Didn't realize until recently that they are the family of the singer/songwriter Jewel. And here I thought they were just a quiet unknown group of people. What on tv is at it appears? Nothing really.

13-Mar-14
I have wondered why, on those really remote cabins/structures, they didn't do the inside with RV or camp trlr type appliances/heat/water/bathroom type gig.

Use a solar panel and 12volt or 6volt batteries....generator for those hard charge needs.

Gezzzzz--guess I have been daydreaming-ha

Good luck, Robb

13-Mar-14
Robb who hasn't daydreamed? I'm the same way... when I look at those places I think of how easy it would be to make improvements. Maybe I'll stick with Alpine though! Better chance of you being my neighbor. lol

13-Mar-14
As with all real-estate - location, location, location...

BTW, thought Jewel grew up from a broken family living in cars and stuff like that... Mule Power - Hmmm, now the truth comes out, huh?

13-Mar-14
Jewel's dad is Atz, brother is Atz Lee, sister in law is Jane. Don't think the woman that Atz is married to is her and and Atz Lee's mother. Otto and Eivan are her Uncle & cousin.

Guess any more if your dad divorces your mom, you come from a broken family....

13-Mar-14
I never realized that she was related. My wife and I watch that show together. They just seam like real good, hardworking people. I didnt realize that it was her voice in the theme song either.

13-Mar-14
I bought a repo up in Valdez a few years ago. 2500' 1.5 arc out side of town had it remolded. Got 75k into it total. It rents for 1200 a month. Im going to sale it this fall I think.

13-Mar-14
I like Alaska the Last Frontier, that Otto guy has a few screws loose, but he's a riot.

I do like how they show the hunting.

Eiven's wife just doesn't seem to fit, but she seems to be giving it a go! Hope they have another season!

Didn't know they were connected to Jewel, that's funny

13-Mar-14
Kind of ironic, considering we paid 7.2 million for the entire state.

13-Mar-14
Why are you selling a property that returns 19% annually on the initial investment? In rental properties, that is a gold mine.Taxes and upkeep eating into that too much or what?

13-Mar-14
The somehow forget to tell the yuppies looking to get back to nature that they'll have a "real experience" once winter sets in and the snows come!

13-Mar-14
I got a place on Prince of Wales Island ... I'll be putting up for sale.

2 3/4 ac on a lovely remote jungle Island, birds are always singing, sun is always shining, no taxes, hunting and fishing deluxe, just a few very conservative neighbors (they all love Sister Sarah), sub-dividable, on the power grid, very low kW-h rate, daily ferry service (or a short float plane flight) gets you near the real world ....

Priced accordingly ....

13-Mar-14
I've seen the Kilchner show as well and I have to say it doesn't do anything for the argument that a non-resident needs a guide for some species. They are NOT very good hunters. I do like the show and they seem like down to earth people. I've been on 9 DIY drop hunts in Alaska and I don't think I would want any of them with me.

13-Mar-14
The Kilchers don't have to be very good hunters - they live on the road system closer to a supermarket than a lot of people in the lower 48. Or was that supposed to be a secret?

14-Mar-14
They got a herd of beef, poultry and gardens but the show portrays them as needing to bag some little Sitka's that they flew to to survive. Then they go fishing on a 60' tug to catch a couple little halibut to make it through the long cold winter.

14-Mar-14
That's too funny Milo and LuckyChucky! Obama voters probably believe a lot of what these new reality shows are trying to portray, but most of us just take them for what they are. Scripted entertainment.

Swamp People is another one that is quite funny. I wish I had some gold to weigh on the scales they use to determine the proclaimed weight of the gators. :) They also make it sound and look so dangerous. It is a glorified trot line.

14-Mar-14
But we are all in agreement that anything filmed in Alaska is better than watching the Biggest Loser, the Bachelor, or another cops and robbers flick right?

I'm about due to watch the Grizzly Man again. lol

Then again Wicked Tuna is back.

14-Mar-14
I'm with you Mule. I don't watch much TV, but when I do it is generally on the National Geographic or Discovery channel.

14-Mar-14
Don't forget about "Honey Boo Boo" and "Wife Swap".

14-Mar-14
Mule Power - "Grizzly Man", too funny. But if they'd ever air that audio of Treadwell being eaten alive, now that would be true Alaskan reality TV...8^)

Sorry, couldn't resist...8^)

14-Mar-14
"Wife Swap".... is that they one Pat was approached by a few years ago????

OK, thread officially hijacked.....

14-Mar-14
I was watching the Alaska Team race the other night and they were on Kodiak. Trying to kill a Sitka black tail the guy would just about make his shot and the deer would run off. But they were showing elk running off. Then the guy finds a spike takes aim and walks up on a big dead 3x3

14-Mar-14
I haave friends who were approached to have their home shown on the show. And some other folks that had already bought a home that were featured on the show. It was all staged, at least from what they said. But if anyone wants to come up and look aroun for a sweet deal, I have a spare bedroom for rent for $1,200 a day.

14-Mar-14
And then there's Phred. lol

16-Mar-14
Oh man...Phred!!!

17-Mar-14
Between the NCAA basketball games and Buying Alaska marathon---I got squat done yesterday---ha

Good luck, Robb

18-Mar-14
I hate to jump back in, but these shows are such fabrications I had to. On the Buying Alaska show they use phrases like "in Alaska, many homes dont have indoor plumbing". Well while some "off the grid" homes dont, most do. And they talk about the "lack of conveniences". Has anyone been to the Anchorage area, Mat-Su Valley etc. Heck I have cable tv, and can get pizza delivered from 6 different sources. We have a Cabelas and Bass Pro opening this spring. On one of the shows they were in Talkeetna, which is rural, but they showed a home that was "15 miles out of town, but on City Sewer". It just goes on and on. I really like living here, but it makes us look like all we do is grow beards, race sled dogs and poop in an outhouse. Last night my wife and I put a bid in on a home in a subdivison with an HOA, community well, paved streets, view of Pioneer Peak and community parks.

18-Mar-14
I dont watch much tv, but when I do, I have watched most of the shows mentioned above. Can we all remember its called "entertainment?". Would we watch a show if it was about regular folks like you and I? LOL.

That being said, Mick Dodge does not live in the woods year round (and stays with a girlfriend in the winter), only goes barefoot for the show and has email, website and a blog. But I still watch the show for its entertainment. Even for a half hour it lets us imagine what life could be like if we ditched technology.

18-Mar-14
Naked and Afraid is the only reality show that is even semi real. Those folks get eaten alive by insects ect. One almost died from Dengue fever after the show and is in major rehab just to walk. It gets pretty tough when it takes 8 days to get fire and you cannot drink the water without boiling it first. You get two items , usually a knife or machete and a pot or fire making survival match. That's it. You generally get to eat bugs, fruit if you can find it , coconuts if they are there and anything you can dig up or kill or catch. Interestingly the women usually are better at surviving and handling bad situations than the men are. Anyway it is really an interesting show IMHO.

To the kilchers. For people that supposedly have been living off the land they don't know squat about it. They do not know how to shoot, How to use a knife properly. Cut against the hair on animals, fish in heavy grizzly habitst with on protection (guns) ect. I hve seen them do some really dumb things for folks that should know better by experience.

Another for instance ,. They kill a real nice bull moose, Then leave him overnight after gutting out . Problem is they have horses right there and could have packed out at least half that night. Then they go in scared to death that a bear is on the moose next morning. Just dumb. However I really like the people. They seem like a really great family.

God bless, Steve

19-Mar-14
Geezzz' 'Hugh'......

After reading your post-----

Made me wonder why ya even live in Alaska?

Good luck, Robb

19-Mar-14
I can't believe that anyone even thinks any Reality TV show is real. When my daughter was living and working in LA for Oliver Stone the Survivor shows had just come out and took off. The big juke was that people were believing it as Reality !!!

Once when flying south from Ketchikan I was seated next to one of the Deadliest Catch producers. We had a good chat. I had been in an argument with my son for some time when I told him that the show was BS ... I asked the producer what was up ... he looked at me and said "are you stupid or something, it's Hollywood" ... they staged scenes, had scripts and even had stand in actors. He also produced Ice Road Truckers .. same-o same-o .... behind every camera shot is lots of people. Usually camped or lodged not far away with a dinner hall serving Château Brion ...

• Sitka Gear