Charlie Rehor 30-Apr-14
4406v 30-Apr-14
bb 30-Apr-14
Fuzzy 01-May-14
Fuzzy 01-May-14
bb 01-May-14
Elkguide27 01-May-14
02-Apr-14
Being from Minnesota, this question is on my mind right now as my wife and I begin planning for a Newfoundland Moose hunt hopefully in the next 2-3 years. I would like to drive, as I don't really see any way possible to get two dead moose home in the event that we are both successful. It seems like a no brainer for the guys from the east coast to drive to Newfoundland, but what about people from the midwest or western states? Who from those areas has driven to Newfoundland, how long did it take? How many overnight stays in hotels along the way? How many total travel days did you have?

02-Apr-14
Call this company up and see how close to MN they deliver. They deliver tons of peoples moose every year. They delivered mine and it was perfect.

They basically deliver to freezer warehoeses for food shipping companies so it's very well organized.

Central NL Shipping 709-651-4427

Now if you are retired that trips sounds like a fun road trip where you could take your time. If you are still working like me I think this is the best route!

02-Apr-14
I am from SW Va and am alloting three travel-days each way

02-Apr-14
Some guys came up from Oklahoma when I was there. They said it took 5-6 days.

TBB

02-Apr-14
It is 19 hours clock time from boston to the island.

13 hour drive, 1 hour wait at ferry, 5 hour ferry to island.

You can get from MSP to boston in a long days drive.

02-Apr-14
we drove from South Dakota and did it in 2.5 day's to camp. The way back went faster! The good thing is you can take more gear and bring back your moose right away. We had the time off so it was cheaper than flying and paying to get the meat back.

02-Apr-14
Put a freezer and a generator in the back of your truck.

02-Apr-14
Getting ready to book my flight from Indiana...7 hours to get there. If I was retired id drive.

02-Apr-14
This fall will be my 5th drive from central Oklahoma to central NL for moose. Have a friend from NNY I pick up and we share the costs. We have a butcher cut the meat to order and we have it frozen there. As long as you do not open your coolers; nothing will thaw. Igloo max coolers. I overnight in OH....then Montreal......Fredricton....Ferry overnight in cabin...exit ferry and am in camp by evening (Unit 16 in the middle of the island). Both of us are retired so we take out time. We hunt last of October so have hit snow, etc. Plan on the ferry being delayed over or back....common. Given your location in Minn. you might want to look at the Trans-Canada....You can stay on it into Nova Scotia until you leave it to cross over and head to Cape Breton Island (North Sydney)

02-Apr-14
PS...I may need to check that map....we cut across toward Moncton which may not be the Trans-Canada.

02-Apr-14
I have driven it 8 or 9 times from Rhode Island and it's a piece of cake! Everything goes up and everything comes home. I really like driving to almost every hunt and average about 12 to 14 thousand miles per year to hunts. Which ever you decide have a heat trip! C

02-Apr-14
From Minn. cross into Canada and hop the Queens highway to North Sydney Nova Scotia. Ferry ride to Port Aubasque. Queens highway to your turn out. Two days from RI including the ferry so I would guess to add a day from where you are. The ferry has bunk rooms with showers for short money(free)if you find them on your own, last I know $15 if you book it. Or book a stateroom if you wish. Have fun.

03-Apr-14
Caribou ken, its the trans canada allthe way through new brunswick, up to north sydney and resumes at port aux Basques all the way to St Johns.

Bou, Im pretty sure they detuned the boat that makes the crossing in 5 hours. They want you at the Ferry terminal 2 hrs ahead of time now. They have new boats that hold more vehicles, loading takes longer, so they load sooner now

03-Apr-14
I have drove twice it took 20 hours from Michigan we pulled a inclosed trailer with a freeze and were able to bring all of our meat home.

03-Apr-14
bb, I haven't called Dave yet b/c I was waiting for clearance on the time off work. I'm all clear, hope it's not too late to book?

03-Apr-14
I made the trip last fall. Left from Youngstown, Ohio and drove to Lewiston, Maine the first day. Travel time was about 13.5 hours and 750 miles. Left Lewiston and drove to the ferry in North Sydney, NS. The drive time was 13 hours and 697 miles. Boarded the ferry at midnight, and slept throughout the night in a berth, departed the ferry about 7 am and drove another 5 hours to Howley, NL. It was a nice trip with good roads and beautiful scenery. Clearing customs was a breeze both coming and going. Brought back 2 moose that had been cut,vacuum packed and frozen.

03-Apr-14
Fuzzy, call him to confirm, he has room for you

03-Apr-14

petemc's embedded Photo
petemc's embedded Photo
Made the trip last fall from southern Wisconsin. 30 hours driving time to the ferry in N. Sydney if you go straight thru (didn't). Driving by myself coming back it took 37 hours as I had to stop and nap occasionally. As far as I was able to find out, there are no more "bunk rooms" on the new ferry. Either general seating, Upgraded seating (+$20) or cabins (+$$). I did the upgraded seating both ways at night and did sleep somewhat but it's still not the most comfortable chair. If I had had another person to share a cabin with I would have and will for sure this fall when there will be four of us.

Upgraded seating:

03-Apr-14
OK thanks Brian

03-Apr-14
Fuzzy, when & what are you going to hunt with Dave?

Looks like a 40+ hour drive to me :)

03-Apr-14
Leaving 10/2015 from denver let you know

03-Apr-14
Get to the terminal 2 hours early and the Vision took about 7 hours to cross. Used to be 5-6 hours on the Caribou. Been across 35 years in a row and have ridden every tug they have. Used to be able to drive into the terminal, get on the waiting list and with luck, cross on the boat or the next one. No more. Need a reservation now.

03-Apr-14
Spend the money for the cabin, it's worth the price compared to the alternatives. shower, toilet and bed. You can actually get some sleep.

Bob, you and Fuzzy have a stopping off point about 15ish hours from the Ferry. And if you guys show up with Roger, you're all going to sleep outside in the dirt. :)

04-Apr-14
Brian, thanks, I will definately be taking you up on it. Bob, I am looking at first full week of September but still have to book.

04-Apr-14
OK my hunt dates are Sept 6 thru 12. Brian, expect a house-guest the evening of the 4th. I feed exclusively on lobster and pate' and my preferred libation is Chateau Rotchschild, a '63 is fine if you can't get a '28 ;-)

04-Apr-14
oh, and Beluga caviar for snacks please, but no petit-fours, I'm watching my waistline

04-Apr-14
"I feed exclusively on lobster and pate' and my preferred libation is Chateau Rotchschild, a '63 is fine if you can't get a '28 ;-)"

In that case, I have a feeding station "out back" You won't even need a bib. grapes may be in various stages of ferment :)

04-Apr-14
lol

04-Apr-14
Best of luck to ya Fuzzy!

04-Apr-14
Fuzzy are u going bear or moose hunting?

04-Apr-14
Fuz- Is it a Chateau Mouton Rothschild or a Chateau Lafitte Rothschild? Either way Brian's wallet will take a HUGE hit:)

05-Apr-14
Chip, thanks for bringing that to my attention, I'll be sure to provide one of each:)

07-Apr-14
yes, one of each, maybe a couple of the Lafitte's.... Pat, Bear, wanna go?

07-Apr-14
Couldnt make it this fall. Thanks for the invite though.

08-Apr-14
Well that sucks. I am always up for a hunt with you Pat.

08-Apr-14
Nobody really sleeps in the "sleeping chairs".We had a berth on the way up (and caught up on much needed sleep after 40 hours on the road) the return trip was awfull trying to sleep in those god awfull uncomfortable chairs!!!

08-Apr-14

4406v's embedded Photo
4406v's embedded Photo
This is a berth Doesn't look too big but has all you need for a good nights sleep and a hot shower. I would highly recommend spending the extra money.

08-Apr-14
lol..looks like luxury to me!

15-Apr-14
That sounds like a worthwhile venter by it self.

However the wife and I are heading another directin by driving to Alaska this fall. Almost exactly 4,000 miles one way.

Will have freezer in the truck, with plan for Moose, Caribou, Bear.

Good luck to all!!

17-Apr-14
The berth is way to go, we had a two man and very tight but if you are beat you will sleep. We had a nice crossing. Return was the chair as we lost our Berth due to a schedule change. Wasn't too bad. Night crossing starts boarding at 2100, be in line by 1900. Recommend the Lobster Pound for dinner.

19-Apr-14
Headed up for the fifth trip from OK. Booked the 2-man berth. We like the night trip over as the drive on the island is 5+ hours and like the daylight to see the scenery. We are both retired and take in the food and hospitality.

21-Apr-14
anything you "can't get" there, that I should take along?

21-Apr-14
They may have a shortage of canned squirrel brains:)

But you can get flipper pie, so that might offset the deficit.

22-Apr-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
whew! glad to know there's an acceptable local substitute!

22-Apr-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
do they have salad greens in Sept? got to have my salad

29-Apr-14
OK I am booked on the ferry

29-Apr-14
Food, Food , Food! Does it ever end?:)

30-Apr-14
Chip, no it doesn't, endless food is one of my life's goals ;-)

30-Apr-14
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flipper_pie

had to look it up...sounds great! but if it's only around in the spring I will miss out... :-(

30-Apr-14

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
There is no place in North America quite like Newfoundland. No place! And the bow hunting is excellent!

30-Apr-14

4406v's embedded Photo
4406v's embedded Photo
Couldn't agree more......

30-Apr-14
Yeah Fuzzy, I've been wanting to show off my Ted Williams impersonation but they don't give out sealing permits to non residents.

01-May-14
shoot...wonder what it takes to be a resident?

01-May-14
Brian, I am booked on the ferry Sept 4, maybe plan on seeing me the evening of the 2nd? that's a Tuesday...

01-May-14
OK, Thanks for the warning...:)

01-May-14
My wife and I just booked a moose hunt for 2015 for Newfounland. We can't wait!! We are going with the bows OCT. 1-8th Really looking forward to the drive and being able to see parts of the country/world we have both never seen

• Sitka Gear