Jaquomo 25-Apr-14
Jaquomo 25-Apr-14
sticksender 25-Apr-14
Jaquomo 25-Apr-14
LongbowLes 25-Apr-14
Dubblelunger 28-Apr-14
LKH 28-Apr-14
24-Apr-14
May be bow hunting Shiras moose this year. Camo or black like a moose? Will be calling the rut.

Thanks for your opinion

24-Apr-14

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo

elkmtngear's Link
Just a suggestion. I have a limited number of these available.

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

24-Apr-14
Jeff - it that looks too good, you might get more than you bargained for!

24-Apr-14
Not if there are many black bears in the area! I would suggest camo with lots of stinky cow moose smells squirted all over them. Don't forget that a moose's hearing and smell are it's strongest suites!

24-Apr-14
Most dark camo will fool a moose into thinking you are a moose.

24-Apr-14
Use Camo, hide from the moose,use a decoy,, don't put the scent on yourself.

24-Apr-14
I wish I thought I was probobly hunting moose in Idaho this year. What makes you so sure :)

25-Apr-14
Camo is the safe bet. The dark clothing will get you spotted faster and then you've gotta 'sell it'. I'd rather be hidden and hard to locate. If you need a visual aid, by far the most effective thing is a fake palm flashed (and thrashed) while working the bull.

25-Apr-14
Black.

25-Apr-14
Hey Nick,

Just dreaming ahead.....

25-Apr-14
See Nick, great minds think alike, as I will be in Wyoming...

;-)

Good luck IG!

25-Apr-14
If I draw I'm going to do whatever Blacktail Bob suggests!

Seriously, I live with shiras moose, and you could get into bow range wearing a clown suit if they dont smell you or get too much movement. Id rather look like a moose and "sell" myself if I get busted. That tactic works like a charm on elk and muleys, so Im sure it works great for moose. May try it this weekend just for kicks.

25-Apr-14

25-Apr-14
They do like Black stuff.

Last October in Idaho, about a mile from this spot and a couple hours earlier, I stalked this bull to about 16 yards in a dense thicket (pic here), but gave him a pass.

Walking back to my parking spot later, I found him checking out my black truck, as seen below. Apparently the color attracted him from a distance. He was in no hurry to leave, even with me in clear view.

Bulls are pretty easy to stalk, especially in the rut when their minds are occupied with cows. And their eyesight is not all that keen.

25-Apr-14
Tonight I got within bow range of a bull while wearing a dark green fleece pullover and a brown Filson hat

25-Apr-14
Camo worked for me. Hey Greg how about a photo of your super tag bull.? Or a full write up. Did I miss it?

28-Apr-14
Just ride in on a mare in heat. I had a Shiras bull come up behind a pack horse from down wind while we were loading the hind quarters of my elk on it. Stood at 40 yards and grunted.

28-Apr-14
I watched a great video of a Canadian researcher approaching rutting bulls. She carried phony antlers but the most interesting thing she did was her walk.

She would drive her heel in, then a fraction of a second later let her toe area smack down. Sort of a ba-bump sound. It really worked.

I tried it on Fort Rich one winter season and I got very close. They never left until they got a good look at me.

I deal with them in my yard fairly regularly and they pick you up pretty quick if they get any motion. of course they are generally under 25 yards.

• Sitka Gear