t-roy 01-May-14
Db1 01-May-14
hunterdad 02-May-14
Rick M 02-May-14
Ambush 02-May-14
nanuke22 02-May-14
nanuke22 02-May-14
01-May-14
Ok so I am going on my first moose hunt this year, I have never skinned or quartered a moose so I do not know much about there toughness of there hide and bones, only thing I know is what I read on web sites and books.

So I am playing with the idea of using a mechanical head for this trip, the reasons being I am driving a long way so I will be a few days with out shooting my bow and I know I will be really pumped for this hunt so not sure how great the form will be. This will be for a Canadian moose not a Yukon.

So before you say anything here is my set up, The head I want to use this year is the Grim Reaper Fatal Steel, I am shooting a 470 grain arrow at 283 FPS giving me 83 LB's of KE.

So for the guys that have killed moose what is your opinions? My bow is shooting a few types of fixed heads really good but I just though the mechanicals would be more forgiving.

01-May-14
If your fixed blades are shooting well, I would go with one of them versus a mech. I've never shot a moose with a mech. so I don't know how well they would do, however, the 1 moose that I shot with a fixed blade died within 75 yards. I don't think it makes much difference if it is a Canada or an AK/Yukon moose. They are both huge.

Why can't you take some field points with to practice with, if only for checking your form? Just don't get too worked up when the shot presents itself;>)

Good luck & post pics of your moose!

01-May-14
If you're driving, bring a target with you and practice everyday. As for broad heads...go with the one you have confidence in. I've only used fixed blades on moose. The fixed one I like is the montec's but doesn't matter much if you put it in the right spot- have a fun hunt

02-May-14
Sure a mechanical head will kill a moose. Guys do it every year. If you have a moose 15 yards away and you realize just how big they are, wouldnt you want a tough, fixed blade head on the end of your arrow???

Mechanical heads are illegal in Alaska for moose. Hmmm, I wonder why....

Good luck on your hunt

02-May-14
Breaking down a moose is as easy as doing 2 elk at the same time:) No different just bigger. It could be a handful for 1 person depending on where and how it goes down.

A mech will kill a moose but I am not sure of your reasoning? If your bow is tuned fixed will fly just as good as a mech without being able to shoot in camp. Take a small target or judo points and stump shoot.

Other than that your setup is plenty good.

02-May-14
Are you hunting by yourself or with others?

I've field butchered a lot of moose on my own. Having fifty feet of 1/4" rope or paracord and a few saplings close by help with the gutting and skinning. I start on a back leg by skinning around the knee and then cutting the lower leg off. Skin the leg down a little ways and then slip a game bag over over the skinned part, buy keep it bunched up near the knee. You can put a rope around the stump and the game bag if you need to. Skin down the leg, pulling the game bag down as you go.

Skin the one leg all the way around to the spine and then separate the leg at the hip socket and then set that bagged hind aside. You can do this before you gut the moose that way you are not working in a slippery, big pile of guts. You can do the same with the front leg on the same side. You can use the gutless method on a moose just like on a deer.

I believe it is more important to get the hind skinned off first so they can start to cool. But never leave a moose for any length of time with the guts in or hide on. Get the hide off the hinds as soon as possible, cooling quickly is critical to good meat quality.

On the last three moose, I used Spitfire mechanicals on two and a Slick Trick on one. One arrow, short blood trails on all three. I use Spitfires for everything and have for years so I don't even think about it.

02-May-14
Thanks for the info guy's, I will be bringing a target with me, so I guess I will do some shooting on the way out, NJ to Alberta is a long drive. My question I was trying to get at was with my set up would it be enough to push a mechanical through an elk? The reason I would even use a mechanical is just for some more for give ness if my shooting wasn't perfect with the long drive out. I will be bringing out my Slick Trix Mags with me on the trip, and I will have mechanicals if the shooting wasn't up to par. Thanks again for the comments I am pumped to be going!!

02-May-14
I am sorry I meant moose... Elk is the week before.

• Sitka Gear