Contributors to this thread:
st8tman 18-Jun-14
Bear Track 18-Jun-14
st8tman 19-Jun-14
MQQSE 19-Jun-14
Pat Bischoff 19-Jun-14
Pat Bischoff 19-Jun-14
18-Jun-14
Folks, I may have a chance to go on a moose hunt this September in NB Canada. I will be driving up from Virginia, which is 1300 miles one way. I normally do a stop-over 3/4 of the way up in middle Maine. Nevertheless, if I am fortunate enough to score on a "mountable" moose. I was wondering what you guys suggest as far as getting the cape/horns back home. I had thought about having the animal fully caped locally up there and freeze the cape and bring it back to my taxi along with the horns. I know the freezer up there will NOT accomodate a head with horns attached. Anyway I am certainly up for suggestions for transport. The only thing I am certain on, is I will NOT leave it there for the taxi work, as that is one of the reasons I am driving; along with the transportation of meat home. Thanks in advance for your time.

18-Jun-14
I believe you have the right idea for your cape. Next would be having a taxidermist there skin, flesh and salt it for you.

19-Jun-14
Thanks Ron for taking the time to reply, I sincerely appreciate it. Certainly not trying to put the "cart before the horse", but trying to be prepared. Once again THANK YOU!

19-Jun-14
Easy as pie. Simply cape the bull and then freeze the cape. Don't salt just freeze the darn thing, put it in a cooler and drive home and give to your taxidermist. Problem solved.

19-Jun-14
If I were u I would find a local taxidermist and ask for lessons on caping hides and turning eyes lips and ears. those lessons will last u a lifetime and u wont have to worry about freezing skins if u bring enough salt.

On my last bear hunt we could have froze our bear hides but we brought a few taxidermy tools and we bought salt at a local feed store. our outfitter skinned our bears and we handled the rest. turned the eyes lips and ears and salted the skins twice just in case they would get lost on the flight back. My bears and my friends Jeff's did not show up with our baggage. We got them a day later. If they were not salted we might not have been able to save them. I know u are driving up but bad things do happen. Those tools and salt r a cheap way to ensure your skin will b alright. Some may think Im crazy for doing it but with the price of hunts today I will always do this.

19-Jun-14
If I were u I would find a local taxidermist and ask for lessons on caping hides and turning eyes lips and ears. those lessons will last u a lifetime and u wont have to worry about freezing skins if u bring enough salt.

On my last bear hunt we could have froze our bear hides but we brought a few taxidermy tools and we bought salt at a local feed store. our outfitter skinned our bears and we handled the rest. turned the eyes lips and ears and salted the skins twice just in case they would get lost on the flight back. My bears and my friends Jeff's did not show up with our baggage. We got them a day later. If they were not salted we might not have been able to save them. I know u are driving up but bad things do happen. Those tools and salt r a cheap way to ensure your skin will b alright. Some may think Im crazy for doing it but with the price of hunts today I will always do this.

• Sitka Gear