HuntingAdict 25-Jul-14
MATHEWSSHOOTER 25-Jul-14
MATHEWSSHOOTER 25-Jul-14
MATHEWSSHOOTER 25-Jul-14
Medicinemann 26-Jul-14
DonSchultz 27-Jul-14
DonSchultz 27-Jul-14
23-Jul-14
Which of these two arrows would you choose..

I will be on a moose and bison combo hunt next september in BC.. I will also have a Mountain goat tag and will def go after a group of goats if we see them..Both will be shot out of a 80# bow

arrow 1- Easton Axis 260 50 grain insert 125 grain tip total arrow weight 550 grains.. silver flame broadhead.. Speed 265 FPS

arrow 2- Easton Deep six fmj 20 grain insert 100 grain tip total arrow weight 450 grains.. Solid broadhead... Speed 290 fps

23-Jul-14

23-Jul-14

24-Jul-14
Why not use #2? I would think a 450 g arrow is more than sufficient for any N American animal.

Arrow's trajectory would be flatter, thus increasing margin of error for distance measuring.

I know heavier is better, but at what point do you enter the realm of diminishing returns?

24-Jul-14
1 would be my first choice and 1 would be my second choice.

not to say 2 would be insufficient, but you asked which of the two. You are hunting a really big animal and a really huge animal. base your decision on that. The goat will die with anything that will kill the other two.

24-Jul-14

24-Jul-14
1 and only 1

24-Jul-14
1 but I'd add an external footing to the front end to strengthen it.

24-Jul-14
jtelarkin,

I hunted with Mike and Dixie last year for Moose and Bison. My arrow weight was 510-520 grains and my speed was 317 fps. My moose was shot at 31 yards, my bison was shot at 46 yards. On both animals, the arrow just missed being a complete pass through....getting hung up by the vanes in the fur on the back side of the animal, after hitting at least one rib in both cases.

Either set up is adequate to do the job.....though most people agree that the heavier option is the preferred choice because of the momentum.

24-Jul-14

Medicinemann's embedded Photo
Hope this helps get your blood pumping.....

24-Jul-14

If not, maybe this one will.....look closely at where the arrow hit him (I had to push the arrows back through him, to show point of impact)......that is actually two arrows, not one....although not necessary, I never hesitate to get a second arrow into an animal....especially a big one. I am much more interested in arrow placement, than arrow weight/speed.

24-Jul-14
That is so awesome!!

24-Jul-14
Great pics Jake and #1 :)

25-Jul-14
520gr arrow @ 317 fps. What draw weight, length and model is that mathews? Those are pretty impressive numbers.

25-Jul-14

MATHEWSSHOOTER's embedded Photo
#2 will work just fine 411 grain arrow 100gr Tlock 3 blade 50 yrds pass thru did not find the arrow

25-Jul-14

Same arrows with EXP 100gr 20yrds pass thru

25-Jul-14

60yrds pass thru never found the arrow 418grs and a exp broadhead

26-Jul-14
Aside from Brandon's great looking photos, another interesting point is that his much lighter arrows passed completely through even with significantly lower poundage than my set-up.

My shoulders are beginning to tell me that I should have updated to a newer bow years ago, that could deliver the same KE, with a substantially lower draw weight.

Brandon.....How's the coffee?

27-Jul-14
I fully agree with Boubound and at the same time don't think #2 would be a disaster. MedicineMan; Amazing Moose!

27-Jul-14
To Medicinemann's point about lower poundage and similar performance. I've got a 60lb bow that can outperform my 80lb bow from the early 90s, and is quieter too. It's only ego that keeps me hunting with a 70lb'r.

• Sitka Gear