Medicinemann 31-Jul-14
tatonka 31-Jul-14
TurkeyBowMaster 31-Jul-14
archerybs 01-Aug-14
jtelarkin08 01-Aug-14
31-Jul-14
46 days and counting...It's been a long wait. Unfortunately, it appears that my bowhunting days are over... I've seen doctors, talking to physical therapists, etc. (problem with my collarbone popping out of joint at the sternum). I've tried injections, but they made it worse... I tried shooting a very light pulling bow hoping to build up the area around my sternum, but that didn't work either. I knew they day would come when I wouldn't be able to draw my bow, but was hoping I'd make it a few more years... So, this trip I'll be taking the old trusty '06 with open sights...

At any rate, like anyone who has ever booked a hunt, I've been making lists, planning the drive up, talking to the outfitter, and all of those kinds of things.. I'll have about a 25 hour drive, which I'm looking forward to...I've been to B.C. several times (not hunting) and every bend in the road is like seeing a new postcard!

I'm bringing a freezer in the back of my pickup to bring the meat home in (gotta think positive!!!). It will be an adventure...I'm taking 3 days to drive up and probably 3 to drive back.. 10 days of actual hunting and a day flying in and a day flying out.

This is worse than waiting for deer season when I was a kid!!!!

31-Jul-14
Tatonka, that's too cool! I know you will have a blast. I hunted with Pink Mountain Outfitters in Northern BC and am anxious to go back. A big ole bull didn't hurt anything either.

I'm glad you're going even without a bow. According to several on this site, you should quit once you can't pull a bow. Horse pucky!I don't know when I've heard anything more stupid.

Have a blast!

31-Jul-14
Good Luck! Hope you have the adventure of your life.

31-Jul-14
Good luck !

31-Jul-14
Congrats but I would think the explosion that happens when you pull the trigger would be worse than drawing a bow? Goodluck and don't give up hunting just find a way, maybe throw a spear?(Tim Wells style), again Goodluck and shoot straight! Mike

31-Jul-14
I'll be traveling through that country in about 30 days on my way to Alaska. I'll try not to run into any of the Moose on my way through. Good luck.

31-Jul-14
Tatonka,

My shoulders are starting to go, too. I am hoping to squeeze out a few more archery seasons......

31-Jul-14
Shooting my old '06 doesn't seem to bother my sternum.... I think the difference between the rifle and the bow is that with the bow I kind of lock in and it puts a lot of pressure on the sternum.. It creates pressure in the opposite direction (inward) than what shooting a rifle does..

Not being able to shoot my bows is a tough pill to swallow... I grew up with archery. My Mom was the 1956 and 1957 Vermont Women's field Archery Champion and she won the New England Championship in 1957. We used to go to shoots and camp about every weekend in the summer when I was a kid and they shot all winter long at an indoor range the club had... Fun times....

For me, it's always been more about the adventure.... Seeing the animals, the country, etc... so even though I won't be able to hunt with a bow, I'll still be able to experience everything else... Life goes on and we just have to deal with the changes that we'll all face at some point in time... It's not a matter of if, just a matter of when......

31-Jul-14
I don't know if it helps but I do a lot of bearcrawling around the house. It seems to work a lot of different muscles around the shoulders and and neck area...might help with longevity. Good hunting and keep us posted.

31-Jul-14
I don't know if it helps but I do a lot of bearcrawling around the house. It seems to work a lot of different muscles around the shoulders and and neck area...might help with longevity. Good hunting and keep us posted.

31-Jul-14

01-Aug-14
TBM, Can you please post pictures so we can all know how to do this exercise? Or maybe post it to the sheep shape thread.

01-Aug-14
My hunt is next September and the wait is killing me

• Sitka Gear