Fuzzy 27-Aug-14
Fuzzy 27-Aug-14
turkeyhunter 27-Aug-14
newfielander 27-Aug-14
ridgerunnerron 27-Aug-14
Fuzzy 29-Aug-14
Fuzzy 29-Aug-14
26-Aug-14
What kind of weather can I expect in NF 2nd week in Oct. Will uninsulated rubber boots with thick socks be enough?

26-Aug-14
Personally, I would say that they are enough.....especially if you have access to a boot dryer. My feet didn't get cold....but I stepped into some puddles that were a LOT deeper than they looked.....

26-Aug-14
absolutely fine.

the three most important pieces of equipment on a newfoundland trip in descending order:

1. rain gear

2. footwear

3. bow

26-Aug-14
X2 bowbound

26-Aug-14
It was in the 80' last year in october when I was there. I have been there with snow in october, I was wearing a short sleeve shirt on Halloween one year, you never know

27-Aug-14
Three years ago in central NL we hunted in 12-15 in. of heavy wet snow. Was the third week of Oct. The weather slowed the movement down and the drifts would pack under the Jeep. Chain-sawed our way back to camp for two days. Can be nasty for a day or so.

27-Aug-14
I was there a few years ago at that time. The weather was so warm that we didn't see any moose movement.

TBB

27-Aug-14
Bou, I have packed one pair of uninsulated, knee high rubber boots, two pair of well broken in, uninsulated 9" leather boots, will be wearing a pair of 6" leather boots on way up, and have moccasins for the lodge,

I have a camo poncho and a bright yellow rain slickers, as well as a "water resistant" camo suit

Therma cell, extra refills, mesh bug suit, 12 pairs of thick socks, and a pair of oversize green wool pants for cold wet weather.

Also have warm dry weather wear.

I am there Sept 4 thru 12

Am I on the right track?

27-Aug-14

27-Aug-14
Fuzzy your list looks good....nights are starting to cool down this Friday evening coming. Should get to 40s in the higher elevations at night...that should start getting bulls moving a little more. Good Luck

27-Aug-14
HERE I GO AGAIN, Guys why do it seem that many so called great hunters never suggest the most important issue. Maybe its mentioned here but I read through many comments with no one mentioning it. I'm a guide here in NL and would someone PLEASE get the message out there, you need to wear (silent)cloths,personally fleece . I don't care what colour it is,not pink (if your male)!! But for your own sake and your guides sake bring fleece (outside layer). So many hunts are ruin because of noisy clients,and also noisy guides who don't know the difference, blame it on the wind,temp,or smell. Other than their antlers, a mooses ears are the biggest part of them, and when they hear strange noises,they know something is up. So come hunting and enjoy yourselves, DRESS IN LAYERS , rubber boots and a light duty (tough) rain gear. (just incase). Listen to your guide,let ya guide do the guiding.

27-Aug-14
Instead of bringing 12 pairs of thick socks...I would rather bring 4 pr max...and two pr of rubber boots so one pr can dry out while you wear the other pr.

Layers and polar fleece kept me warm in the early 30 degree mornings.

29-Aug-14
thanks turkeyhuntrer, I picked up some light knit glives (military olive-drab), and some military polypro long underwear yesterday, from a surplus dealer, for layering

29-Aug-14
newfieland, I have woolen and fleece outerwear packed, thanks again! :-)

• Sitka Gear