Medicinemann 04-Sep-14
glass eye 04-Sep-14
huntnfish808 05-Sep-14
Full_Curl 09-Sep-14
Tilzbow 10-Sep-14
beekeeper 10-Sep-14
At 10-Sep-14
03-Sep-14
Wondering what you guys with a lot of experience traveling for hunts would recommend for a large luggage bag to hold a split set of Alberta moose antlers for airline travel?

Obviously I’d like to over-estimate so let’s say a 55 to 60 inch bull on the very top end. If successful, I’m planning on splitting the skull plate, taping both halves together, adding some padding to the points, and then packing in a large duffle type or similar bag with a bunch of clothing for extra padding and then checking as checked luggage.

Any brand, type, or size of bag suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

03-Sep-14
Why not just wrap them in a tarp and tie it with rope/cord? That is how the Inuit's do it with Muskox hide and horns and airlines have not problem with it.

03-Sep-14
I leave in a few days for caribou, first time so I'm no expert. We are taking bubble wrap and duct tape to pack them.

03-Sep-14
I always take 4" pieces of garden hose to put over the points. push them on as far as possible the fold the end over and duct tape them on.

03-Sep-14
seems like you could take those water noodles and split them and put them over the points and duct tape them on.. I am going next september so i will be talking to my outfitter soon about this

04-Sep-14
Thanks guys. I like the tarp or bubble wrap and duct tape idea, but don't want to have any issues at the airport check in as I will be on my own. If the antlers get denied I don't know what plan B would be. I was thinking the duffle bag would have less of a chance of running into issues.

04-Sep-14
PM sent....

04-Sep-14
I plan ptarmigan hunting with a 20 ga. and using the spent shells to cover the antler tips. Do you think the smell of gunpowder would raise any red flags ?

05-Sep-14
Call your airlines, they usually have a specific policy about shipping antlers and they can tell you exactly what will be allowed. Usually it just has to be within a certain amount of inches L+W+H. If it fits that you're good.

09-Sep-14
Thanks for the feedback. The size limitation for a checked bag is 115" total (L+W+H) with the Airline and as long as I split the skull plate and cup the 2 paddles together, I don't think I should have anything to worry about as far as size...? I just don't know if I can just bubble wrap it from there and tape it to present as luggage.

10-Sep-14
I plan ptarmigan hunting with a 20 ga. and using the spent shells to cover the antler tips. Do you think the smell of gunpowder would raise any red flags ?

Yes, the spent shells will cause you problems! My dad had a spent 30.06 casing in a coat pocket, the coat was buried deep in a duffle bag and they found it with the sniffer. It had to be thrown away.

10-Sep-14
Take a garden hose and cut into lengths that will fit over each point leaving an inch or two beyond. be sure to duct tape them to the antler. It protects the antler points from getting broken and the baggage handlers from getting stabbed.

10-Sep-14
Last year we bubble wrapped, duct taped caribou antlers and showed a picture on a tablet to the airlines. They said they looked good but still had to be 'within' a box (cardboard). Check with them first - I think a large duffle is a good idea but their rules prevail.

• Sitka Gear