writer 07-Sep-14
SDHNTR(home) 07-Sep-14
Deacon Dave 08-Sep-14
BowCrossSkin 08-Sep-14
Straight Shooter 08-Sep-14
midwest 08-Sep-14
Corax 08-Sep-14
06-Sep-14
Today was opening day for archery moose in colorado and I was bummed out last night to look at the forecast and see that they were calling for thunderstorms all day. I was planning on hunting through Tuesday September 9 if needed, but obviously I wanted to take advantage of every day I had to hunt, so I planned to be at my starting spot early and see what would happen. When I was driving to my unit this morning I could see the stars were out sparkling in all directions, so I was thinking "sweet, maybe I'll get an hour or two this morning before the rain". I got to where I wanted to hunt at 5:30 and it was black dark out, so I just parked the truck and waited for daylight. One thing that everyone kept telling me over and over when I was talking to them about this hunt was "Make sure you get one close to the road". I took this advice and didn't really get too concerned about it, thinking 'yeah they're big, but I can handle anything for a day or two'. Well at about 6:15 it got light enough to see and I watched a group of 3 mule deer does feed across a grass flat that butts up to the willows along the creek I was hunting. After a few minutes I decided it was light enough to start looking for a moose. I drove down through the valley and would stop to look out across the bottom every quarter mile or so. Not seeing anything after a couple of miles I knew there was one open hillside that I wanted to check coming out of a big draw that some moose had been taken in years past about 2 miles away, so I was driving down to this area when I passed a little finger of pine and aspen coming out of the willows and BOOM - there's a cow! She kind of trotted towards the willows and stopped to watch me - I kept driving down about a mile to a turn off and pulled over to turn around. I checked her out through the spotting scope and she was still in the same spot looking my direction. I drove back down and had to get to the other side of the pine/aspen finger she was by so I could sneak on her, but the wind was kind of wrong for the sneak. I figured I'd try it anyways. When I drove back past her she just looked at me and then turned and walked towards the finger but didn't seem too alarmed or spooked. I went about 200 yards past her and parked the truck. I got into the edge of the willows and worked my way around the finger expecting to see her on the edge of the field next to the finger, but she wasn't there. So I walked up the finger and heard her bust out of the finger of pine/aspen (it was really thick, you could only see about 5 yards into it and it was probably 20 yards wide). So I thought to myself "well, that was a good try, it's early on day 1, maybe I'll find another one" so I started to walk around the finger and back to my truck, but when I got halfway around the finger something large and black caught my eye - she stopped right outside of the trees and was just standing there, 75 yards away. She kept looking over at me, and seemed to know I was there. I just stayed still and when she'd look away for a second I'd move tight to the cover and try to move her way a little bit. I told myself that I didn't want to shoot further than 50 yards and she was standing perfectly broadside at 75 yards. I was thinking to myself "man, I wish I'd have pushed my range a little further, this is a perfect shot opportunity". Well I just stayed still and waited for her to make a move, expecting that she'd walk away and maybe I could get into the willows and close the distance. Then I couldn't believe it - she started walking back towards the finger of trees that I was by. She closed to 62 yards and stopped again to look at me. It was hard, but I kept saying "wait and she'll give you a good shot". Well I was right, after about 10 minutes she finally turned and started walking back to the finger. I had ranged a bush that she'd have to walk in front of at 52 yards and she stopped right in front of it. I released my arrow and I could see it hit just a little bit low of where I was aiming - she turned and made a grunting/moaning sound and ran back the opposite direction (away from the finger of cover) along the edge of the willows. She went about 100 yards and went out in the grass and did a little loop and walked into the willows.

06-Sep-14
When she ran off I could see about 6" of arrow and the fletchings sticking out of her side. I went over to see what kind of blood I was dealing with a couple of minutes after she went into the willows and cautiously followed along her path. There was a pretty good spray of small drops and as I was walking along I heard a crash what sounded like about 100 yards back in the willows. I said to myself "she's down". I wanted to give her some time so I was walking back to my truck and made it about 20 yards to where I could see a little recess in the willows and again I see a big black form out of the corner of my eye - I look over and it's a moose - it's MY moose! She was looking straight away from me and I could see my arrow sticking out of her side. It was obvious that she was hurting and didn't want to move. She was about 50 yards away from me when I saw her, I moved up to 27 yards and waited for her to turn one way of the other. After a while she finally turned to her left and I slide another arrow in behind her rib cage on the left side and out her right shoulder. She ran about 20 yards into the woods, stopped, stuttered backward about 5 yards and laid down, and put her head on the ground. I knew then that it was over.

06-Sep-14
I couldn't believe it, less than 1/2 hour into the moose season and I had my cow on the ground, only 88 yards from my truck! I got her quartered out and in the back of the truck after some field pictures and was on the road to the processor by 9:00 AM. Unreal. After breaking this cow down I came away with 2 conclusions: 1 - I'm sure glad she was only 88 yards from my truck. I don't know how someone could pack a moose out of the backcountry on their back, it would be a major chore. 2 - I can't imagine how heavy the hindquarters on a big bull moose must be. This cow was all I wanted to mess with.

06-Sep-14

TMA1010's embedded Photo
TMA1010's embedded Photo
So here is her picture - I'm very proud to have taken a moose with my bow. It ended up being a hunt that wasn't all that difficult, but I know it's one I'll cherish for the rest of my life.

07-Sep-14
Congrats - Moose meat is my favorite. Enjoy! Sandbrew

07-Sep-14
Congratulations! That is awesome! Thanks for sharing

I have packed one out on my back... definitely makes you think about EVERY step! lol

07-Sep-14
Congrats! And also congrats on having a short pack out!!!!

07-Sep-14
Thanks guys - I talked to Mitch up at Kremmling Wild Game today (I guess he bought the business from Ted recently) and he said she should be a good eater. If anyone is around Kremmling and looking for a processor my take on them has be very positive so far. He is getting her processed for me in 2 days so I can head home early. I'm sure my wife will be happy...

07-Sep-14
Wow! Great story on a great accomplishment!

Mark

07-Sep-14
Neat hunt. Thanks a lot for taking the time to share the story and photo.

Major envy for that much meat!

07-Sep-14
Wow. Great story. Something you don't see every day. Enjoy the meat!

08-Sep-14
Congratulations on a great hunt and animal. Thanks for sharing.

08-Sep-14
Nice Job!!!

Moose are all over now.

08-Sep-14
Congrats, great job.

DJ

08-Sep-14
That's a great trophy pic. Congrats!

08-Sep-14
Excellent. I have been saving moose points in Wyoming and I think I have enough for a cow tag. Your story is a real inspiration.

• Sitka Gear