XMan 22-Sep-14
CurveBow 22-Sep-14
Mark Watkins 22-Sep-14
t-roy 23-Sep-14
fairchase 24-Sep-14
jdee 24-Sep-14
Florida Mike 24-Sep-14
20-Sep-14
Having trouble sleeping because after missing out on being able to hunt the caribou tag I drew this year, I am headed out for 5 days hunting moose here in South central Alaska.

Weather has been warm and rainy, but it is looking like temps will be dropping starting Monday. Hopefully that will get the moose moving. It has been so warm that we have not yet had a frost. About 2-3 weeks late for the first frost. Can't wait to get on the road. About a 1-1/2 hour drive to the area I will be Hunting.

After a miserable summer for me and my family I am excited that things are moving forward and I can get out. And even more thankful that my wife gave me the go ahead to go for the last 5-1/2 days of the season instead of just the weekend.

Will try and remember to post some photos!!

20-Sep-14
Good luck Elmer, a nice bull and a big load of meat would be just what the doctor ordered.

I see a real turn around in your fortunes, starting with this hunt!

20-Sep-14
Good luck Elmer,sorry to hear you missed out on the caribou hunt.I have a few more weeks before we start here in Vermont but the weather here has been great had our first frost on the 19th,headed out to do some scouting ,not much rutting activity here yet ! will be looking forward to those photos!!

20-Sep-14
Good luck on your hunt Elmer !

20-Sep-14
Good luck. Hope you can fill the freezer!!!

20-Sep-14
Got to where I usually Hunter and.......disappointment. the area I always hunt is now posted as an active construction zone. I walked in the farthest north access point, found the railroad spur they are building and it stopped only 100 yards northh of where I accessed the railroad bed........no construction equipment or workers for as far south as I could see along the bed. And...they have the bed built, but no rails laid. I am going to have to call the phone number on the sighns on Monday to find out the whole story about this area. Hope they aren't going to keep it closed forever.

Now I guess it is on to plan B. Just that I have never seen as many moose in my backup area as the main area that is now closed.

Crap.

20-Sep-14
Stay positive and good things will happen! Keep us posted on your adventure!

Mark

20-Sep-14
Good luck Elmer.

21-Sep-14
Despite the disapy of finding my favorite area closed, I moved on to plan B. Got to the trailhead right as another truck full of Hunters pulled in. They headed south. I went north. Hiked in about 3/4 of a mile. It was way too hot...near 60 degrees. Went at it anyway. Found a spot I know with a small lake. Went to the north end of the lake and settled in with the mosquitoes and black flies. With long sleeves thick pants and a full head cover it wasn't difficult to ignore them!!

Got settled and fairly hidden, but could see across a big bog/field for about 150 yards looking east . Beautiful sun and lots of yellow leaves on the birches.

All was quiet for about the first 1.5 hours. Then about 7 PM I heard a couple great horned owls talking back and forth. I was using cow calls in sets of two every 20 or so minutes. Occasionally I would add a set of bull grunts at the end.

At 7:15 It was cooling off and suddenly I heard a coyote start tipping less than 50 yards off. Never saw him, but did not expect any moose to show up with the coyote around.

About 7:30 I started to take the brush with a small antler I found years ago as well as doing more cow calls followed by bull grunts.About 7:45 I catch movement about 150 yards off. I keep looking and spot a moose. At first I thought it was a spike bull, but it turned out to be a huge lone cow.

I called a couple more times and heard a bull raking his antlers in the thick behind me. The cow was locked on to me and the other bull even though she couldn't' see either of us. I raked my little antler one more time and the bull behind me stopped answering me. But, I noticed the cow, who was now only 75 yards away was suddenly concentrating on something to her left. Shooting light was fading fast with a small rainbow to the east. As I headed back to the truck I saw another lone cow. That is what the first cow kept staring at!!

Between the owls, coyote, 2 cows and the bull I heard but never saw, it was a great evening. Hiking out solo in the dark in country that has a large population made me a little nervous, but it wasn't A problem

Now as I am laying in the back of my truck with trusty dog Hannah by my side, I am listening to it start to try and rain hard again. Would really like to wake up to clear skies and cooler temps! If it is cool and clear, and those two cows are still around in the morning it could make for an interesting morning hunt. Two lone cows could bring in the bulls!!

Here's to dreaming about those bulls and then making it happen in the morning!!

22-Sep-14
Nice story! Keep us updated.

22-Sep-14
Elmer, good luck and look forward to reading more about your hunt! Hope you tag a nice one.

22-Sep-14
Best of luck Elmer....

>>>>-------->

22-Sep-14
Wow, great first day! Go Elmer Go!

Mark

23-Sep-14
Keep it coming Elmer! Good luck tomorrow!

24-Sep-14
Sure are pulling for you. I wish you luck, take care and be safe.

24-Sep-14
I hope you don't forget the pics too. Good luck.

24-Sep-14
Sooooo it's been 3 days with no update...I'm thinking Elmer is butchering a moose! Come on Elmer weeeeeerrree waiting....Mike

• Sitka Gear