M.Pauls 06-Oct-14
bowcrazy 06-Oct-14
APauls 06-Oct-14
elmer@laptop 06-Oct-14
Kdog 06-Oct-14
05-Oct-14

Kdog's embedded Photo
Kdog's embedded Photo
Last week I went on a guided moose hunt in Northern Manitoba. This hunt has been a few years in the making. One Saturday morning in January/February I was watching some bow hunting on TV and watched a hunter kill a huge Yukon bull. My wife happened to be in the room and told me "you know, you should really go on a hunt like that someday." There you go, end of conversation . I locked that thought into my brain and went on with life. Probably a year later I killed a bear with Adrenaline Outfitters in Manitoba. Great guys and they are bow hunters. I enjoyed the hunt so much I booked one for the follow year as soon as I got home. 6-7 months later I got an email from Russ Mehling with Adrenaline stating they were expanding their hunting operations to include moose and caribou. I contacted Russ right away to get some info and basically booked a moose hunt for 2014. (This was about 18 months ago.) Russ has a lot of moose experience (he used to guide in the Yukon) and he spoke very highly of the area. So that was good enough for me.

I was hunting Small Lake north of Thompson Manitoba. For the first 2.5 days I didn't have much luck. I never saw a moose actually. But moose hunting is either hot or cold, and I knew that going in. I did see plenty of sign, so I knew there were moose around. Two of the other guys in camp actually got their bulls on those first 3 days. On day 4 the weather turned more favorable for moose hunting. It started raining and got colder. That morning we spotted what was a definite shooter, probably a 50" wide bull. We tried to make a move in on him but he just disappeared. While it would have been awesome to get on this bull, it definitely lifted my spirits just seeing a huge moose.

On day 5 we spent the morning working an area near where we had seen the big bull. We hiked in with the wind in our favor and my guide Tyler did a bunch of cow calls and bull grunts. Alas, not one response! Finally after several hours we called it quits to get some lunch. After lunch we headed back out with a plan to hunt a different area. As we were cruising along in the boat, Tyler spotted a bull up on top of the hill where we had been hunting all morning. We knew it was a different bull, but he looked to be a shooter. We eased the boat into a place on shore to get the wind in our favor. Since we didn't get any responses to our calls in the morning, we decided to go in quiet and make a stalk. We walked right next to each other, so we would sound like one animal (hopefully a moose). Once we got within 80-100 yards of the bull we could hear him grunting and raking trees. There was not a lot of time to set up. Tyler moved to a position 15-20 yards behind me. He never called once, he just did some raking with his moose scapula. The bull was very agitated with this! He was swaying back and forth and came in on a zig zag pattern. Stopping every 10-15 yards to rake the trees and was grunting the whole way in, swaying back and forth with drool running out of his mouth. He got to about 10-15 yards and I was trying to figure out how to get a shot off. Tyler is telling me to draw my bow, but he cannot see I have no shooting lane from where I am standing. I tried to move a step forward for a clearer shot, but this seemed to alert the bull. Finally he then turned the other direction. He walked perfectly broadside and this time I drew my bow back. Once he stopped at 12 yards I put my pin right behind the shoulder and let the arrow fly. I cannot say for sure if my arrow was deflected or not, but it would be hard to get a clean shot through these branches. The shot was not great, I ended up being about 3" too far forward (and a little high). My arrow caught the back of the shoulder blade, so I only got one lung and did not get a pass through. The shot was taken at 4:15PM. At around 6:00PM we were able to locate him still alive. He was laying down but still moving his head around and coughing. I was standing at 30 yards from him when he stood up and I was able to get off another shot, but that completely missed due to all the branches in the way. Luckily he fell back down so I could get closer. At 10 yards away and he stood again. This time I put my arrow through both lungs. Blood was pouring out of him and he was not a happy camper. He looked like he was going to charge us, but luckily he just started walking sideways and keeled over dead!

Needless to say my guide did an awesome job. He actually got 3 moose killed in 4 days. (He guided the other two guys in camp first and then took over with me when they tagged out.)

From start to finish it took us about 6 hours to get the bull out of the bush. We were about 250 yards from shoreline and we used a chainsaw to cut a trail in. This made it much easier to pack him out. The moose was caped and deboned in the field.

All in all it was an awesome hunt! By far the most exciting hunt I have ever experienced. It felt surreal, because it was everything I could have hoped for. He was not a huge bull, actually I think he was the smallest killed this year by this outfitter. But he was the only one killed with a bow. My bull was 39" wide. The other bulls taken ranged from 40" to 57", all rifle kills. To be honest the quality was much higher than I expected. Every other hunter there this year killed, except one other guy who bow hunted the week before me. I guess now I have a reason to try to go back for a bigger one someday .

I think I am going to be on cloud 9 for a while after this. It definitely makes me want to get out there and kill another moose, Elk, Caribou, or any big game animal really. The type of hunt where you go after the animal is so awesome!

05-Oct-14

Kdog's embedded Photo
Kdog's embedded Photo

05-Oct-14
Another Pic

05-Oct-14

Kdog's embedded Photo
Kdog's embedded Photo
With my guide Tyler.

05-Oct-14

Kdog's embedded Photo
Kdog's embedded Photo

05-Oct-14

Kdog's embedded Photo
Kdog's embedded Photo

05-Oct-14

Kdog's embedded Photo
Kdog's embedded Photo

05-Oct-14

Kdog's embedded Photo
Kdog's embedded Photo

05-Oct-14

Kdog's embedded Photo
Kdog's embedded Photo

05-Oct-14
super job keep the photos and details coming

05-Oct-14
Cool write up and pictures. Congratulations on your bull. Enjoy that tasty meat too.

05-Oct-14
Man, you did what most of us think about often. Be proud of yourself. Well done.

05-Oct-14
Congrats on a nice Bull,sounds like you had a great time from start to finish,I wish my wife would say that to me!!!!

05-Oct-14
Nice bull!! Congrats on a great adventure

05-Oct-14
Nice Bull Kevin, way to go

05-Oct-14
superb! Congrats... Living my dream!

05-Oct-14
Congratulations Kevin on a great hunt & bull! Thanks for sharing it with us.

IMO, there's not anything much more exciting than watching a bull posturing as he comes into the call!

I'm betting that it won't be long till you are back up there chasing moose again.

05-Oct-14
Nicely done, congratulations.

05-Oct-14
Nice bull, thanks for the story.

05-Oct-14
Moose hunting is great fun. Congrats and enjoy! C

05-Oct-14
Congrats man! I'd love to get a Canadian one day.

06-Oct-14
Congrats!

06-Oct-14
Congrats on a great hunt!

06-Oct-14
Congrats!!

06-Oct-14
way cool! congrats on great wife! (the moose is cool too ;-)

06-Oct-14
Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

06-Oct-14
Great trophy! Congrats! Mike

06-Oct-14
Great story and great pictures!

06-Oct-14
Wow, so cool! Thanks for sharing

Best of Luck, Jeff

06-Oct-14
Honestly what's more important than the size of the moose is the way you kill it. Some guys shoot a big bull from a tree stand or one just slowly coming to a call and those are all great but the experience of being in close in thick bush with an angry bull is AWESOME.

I'd rather shoot just a nice size one like yours with your experience than a big one in a clearing. Anyways shooting a moose is awesome no matter what. Great job.

06-Oct-14
Congratulations Kdog! It sure sounds like one awesome hunt! Nothing like being that close to a live moose is there? Well....maybe a griz :)

Awesome!

06-Oct-14
Well done!

06-Oct-14
Wohoooooo! Congrats! And thanks for the great story!

Mark

06-Oct-14
Congrats!

06-Oct-14
Thanks guys! I could not be happier with the whole experience and how the hunt went.

We had some tenderloin last night, it was soooooooo good!

06-Oct-14
Wow congrats! Way to get it done on a tough hunt!

06-Oct-14
Kdog - great story. I shot my first moose this year as well.

Please describe your equipment list - bow, broadhead, boots, raingear. Include any comments you might have on how the gear performed. Temperature of your hunt? Thanks.

06-Oct-14
Congats KDog!!! Awesome story. As an aside, Tyler is a great friend of mine, and he is a bowsiter as well. I love the pictures you posted, as I have guided for Webbers myself, and back when I first started working for them as a 14yr old I did some work at Small Lake there cleaning up the place and building the dock the float plane flies into.

A bear had broken into the cabin there and chewed into all kinds of stuff. That's why we leave the "welcome mats" outside the windows and doors ha ha!!

Nice job again, big congrats, and thanks for sharing the story! (Walleye and pike fishing is also insane on that lake)

06-Oct-14
Way to go!

06-Oct-14
bowcrazy - As far as my bow goes I didn't do anything too special. I am shooting a 2013 Hoyt Carbon Element set around 60lbs, Carbon Gold Tip Hunter Pro Arrows (8.9 grains per inch), 100 grain broad heads....so about 400 grains. My first shot was with a Slick Trick Razor Trick (4 blade COC). The 2nd shot was a 2 blade German Kinetics 100 grain Silver Flame. I was wearing Muck Boots, they got a couple holes in them (so can't recommend them). I would definitely recommend bringing plumbers glue with whatever you take, that saved my boots and luckily they had it there. I purchased brand new Sitka 90% Gortex, for my rain gear. It was way too loud and not really waterproof. So it was terrible, I actually returned the outside jacket and pants when I got home. (The rest of the Sitka gear was good.) I ended up borrowing of the other guys Helly Hansen rain gear. That worked much better for keeping dry, but it was not quiet either. Temps ranged from in the 70's at first to down into the low 30's. We got snow at one point.

APauls - Tyler is pure gold, a great guide and hunter. I learned a lot from him. Mike Reimer guided me for the first 2.5 days. He was very good too, and is also a great guy. It just did not come together for us and I would not even count the first day because it was like 75 degrees outside. I guess that is why you do a 7 day hunt. Conditions were great for moose hunting on probably 3 of the days. (Cold and calm). One thing I will say is both Tyler and Mike were always more worried about getting me on a moose than "what happens after". Mike and I hiked way into a spot on a river one evening and I was asking him "what happens if we get one back here?" He told me, you don't worry about that just stick one. Luckily when I finally did kill, our pack out wasn't too bad. It was awesome that they were willing to go after the moose and not just drive around in the boat (we did some of that too.)

Hopefully my comment about going back for a "big one" is not taken the wrong way. My moose is plenty big for me! I couldn't be happier with him or the hunt. Just trying to come up with some excuse to do it again, lol.

• Sitka Gear