Kdog 08-Dec-14
Kdog 08-Dec-14
Tatonka 09-Dec-14
Kdog 09-Dec-14
Tatonka 09-Dec-14
mixed bag 14-Dec-14
sbschindler 14-Dec-14
03-Dec-14
I am in the early stages of planning a moose hunt with my daughter. We would like to go in 3 to 4 years from now. Most likely she will be gun hunting. We have never moose hunted before, so looking for a guided hunt.

First we are trying to decide where to go. I live in Vermont and would most likely drive. We would also like to try for a 45"+ bulls and maybe combo another animal if possible. I should add that I have a place in southern Colorado so that would easily be the jumping off point for the drive instead of Vermont.

I have caribou hunted in Newfoundland before so that would be a consideration. Lots of moose and easy drive. Only issue is a 45"+ bull would be a hugh bull there.

Not interested in Quebec.

I understand Ontario has drastically reduced the moose tags because of a decline in population. Not sure if i would want to chance it there.

Alaska is way out of our budget.

Alberta's Peace River area looks interesting. Also BC looks incredible. Would love to take a wolf and maybe a black bear for my daughter.

Any advice from those who have moose hunted these places? At this point I am leaning towards BC but would like input whether my thinking is correct or is there a better option that I am not considering?

Any suggestions on outfitters? Looking at Red Willow in AB and Babine in BC.

Thanks!

03-Dec-14
Parson's Pond in Newfoundland. 45 isn't so unrealistic.

Friends of mine do very well there on moose. You could combine it with another caribou hunt.

03-Dec-14
Do you want to get a Moose??? or go on a expensive camping trip. If you book the hunt solely on price you will have a expensive camping trip. This will be the case for hunts in Ontario, Alberta and even NF if your looking for a 45+ Bull.

You need to look at B.C Give Art a call at Gundahoo River Outfitters. I will guarantee you will get a 50+ moose with Art. The price is worth the trip, it is a world class outfit in the best Moose area in B.C

Prez

03-Dec-14
I went to Northern B.C. in September with Cassiar Stone Outfitters... 10 day hunt. Killed my bull on day 8 and in those 8 days I saw 40 moose and 16 of them were bulls.. Class outfit. Great guides, great food, fantastic country, and great hunting. They will not let you shoot a small bull. My guide has gone 100% for the past 9 years in a row. I did an outfitter review on this site, if you want to take a look. I drove up also..yes, long drive, but the scenery was amazing. They have guys who have driven up from Colorado.. As a matter of fact, a couple from Colorado are going back next year.

I looked at every outfitter in B.C., Alberta, and Manitoba... The Yukon and Alaska are out of my price range.. Northern B.C. is the place to go.... You will go home with a big bull... Good luck.

03-Dec-14
You should consider Vermont.

04-Dec-14
As with all states that offer moose tags, Vermont is a lottery. The first season was 1993. I have not drawn a tag for 21 years and it is very doubtful my daughter and I would both draw tags in the same year. Time to look elsewhere.

04-Dec-14
Buy a maine tag in the auction.

05-Dec-14
Are you gun hunting or bow hunting? If you are going with a bow then I would look at Alberta Wilderness Guide Service or Ryk Visscher's Hunting Adventures. They are bowhunters who guide bowhunters. I am using Ryk's services next September.

I had originally booked a hunt in Newfoundland but got skittish about the lack of quality bowhunting guides; especially since I use a longbow. So I cancelled that trip and booked with Ryk instead.

Darren

05-Dec-14
Mountaintop Outfitters - Newfoundland. 3 of us bowhunted opening week this year (Sept. 1). Two of us filled in the first 30 minutes, the other filled on Thursday after he wiffed on a 50 incher at 20 yards.

They have nearly 100% success on firearm moose with over 100 tags per year. We opted to moose hunt early prior to gun season. We were their first true bowhunters. Most people seem to want to hunt the rut, which is rifle season. So even though they may start with a bow, they quickly switch for a magnum gun once all the shooting starts.

We saw and could have stalked moose everyday. Let me repeat - we saw moose every day. Depends on size you are looking to shoot.

A great place, a reasonable price ($3,900) - plus 1x1 guide. You could go the last few days of bow season and your daughter could hunt the first few days of rifle.

Can't say enough good things bout Mountaintop and owner, Art Ryan.

05-Dec-14
Most likely I will bring both bow and gun.

Bowcrazy, what size were the Bulls you took?

05-Dec-14
Yeah bowcrazy... how big? Make no mistake there are 50 inchers on Newfoundland. You just have to be with the right guys.

05-Dec-14

Sage Buffalo's Link
Go to NF with Ironbound and you will have a good chance at a 45+" . You can shoot multiple moose and hunt caribou.

06-Dec-14
Those are steep prices for NF Sage.

06-Dec-14

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
I live in Rhode Island and have driven to Newfoundland 8 or 9 times. There is no better place to go for the PRICE/OPPORTUNITY ratio with the driving option thrown in. Especially for us east coast guys.

The reason more big bulls are not killed is most hunters want an easy kill and most Newfy guides want an easy kill. Road hunters delight. Get back in the bush with a good archery guide and it can be incredible moose hunting.

This bull was 41 5/8 inches and netted 145 1/8 P&Y. Shot September 2 (or there about) Called in to 28 yards in the archery only season in full velvet.

PS: This thread reminded me I need to book another Newfy adventure. Thanks for the reminder!

06-Dec-14
Nice bull Charlie! Who did you book with?

06-Dec-14
Rob they helicopter you in to very remote areas. The increased price is for the helicopters.

Well worth it.

06-Dec-14
If a person wanted to shoot a moose....any moose, Newfoundland would be the logical place for anyone back east, but to suggest that someone would kill a moose there that would compare with Northern British Columbia is just not accurate. Generally speaking, the average moose in northern B.C. would be larger than the largest that a person could realistically expect to take in Newfoundland. Of course there is always the exception, but with the right outfitter the odds of killing a 45" or better moose in Northern B.C. would be well over 90% and odds are that a bull taken there would be over 50" and a 60" plus bull is always possible. Northern B.C. shares waterways with the Yukon, so you have some of the genetics of the Alaska/Yukon moose up along the Yukon border even though they are classified as Canada Moose in the record books.

Newfoundland is very scenic......no question about that, but can anything compare with Northern British Columbia, The Yukon, and Alaska? It's hard to imagine just how spectacular it is until you've been there. And there is always the opportunity to do a combo hunt for Mountain Caribou, Mountain Goat, Grizzly, or Stone Sheep (but you'd better have some deep pockets!!).

07-Dec-14
Northern BC or Newfieland for the same reasons here that others had mentioned...Charlie and Tatonka and others nailed it...there are many outfitters to check out in both areas.

07-Dec-14
I think the way the original poster worded it was "try for a 45 inch moose"

I'm sure nobody in their right mind would question the difference in potential between NF and Alaska or the northern and even central portions of BC. But he also said AK is out of his budget. A hunt along the Yukon border probably is too then. guys like Coal River want 12K plus.

I couldn't agree more Tatonka... I'd be heading over there too. Just not so sure he can swing that. Do you know of any true quality affordable hunts in north central BC?

Also.. I know you said guided Rob but I think that since you said in 3 to 4 years with a little homework and by getting on the books early you could do it on your own and have great success at the same cost, or less, just by finding the right transporter to drop you in somewhere in Alaska. THAT is the way to get a good moose without breaking the bank. You can do it!

07-Dec-14
Mule Power is spot on in that an AK or Yukon guided hunt is out of my budget range. From what I see, a BC hunt near the Yukon border is also out.

I have seen BC hunts near Smithers under $7,500. That is still a stretch, but doable given the 3-4 year timeline. Keep in mind I have the cost x2 with my daughter. That's a good question Mule, "any true quality affordable hunts in north central BC?"

Most of my hunts have been DIY and I have done 9 successful DIY elk hunts in southern Colorado. I suppose an AK DIY is a possibility. I will admit that an AK DIY hunt seems very intimidating to me, especially with my daughter there. The thought of getting tangled up with a griz is what nightmares are made of.

07-Dec-14
Rob I think you could have a great, affordable hunt on NF. It offers the best chances, no tag issues and it's unbelievable scenery.

BC or AK would be awesome but for a fully guided hunt, which in your situation would want, is probably going to be very expensive.

All I will say about NF is to go with a guy who flies to remote areas that locals can't get to.

Good luck! I hope you find a hunt where you and your daughter have a great hunt.

07-Dec-14
what are the BC moose hunts costing these days !!!

07-Dec-14
From what I can see, $7,500 - $14,000. Plus tags and tax.

07-Dec-14

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo
Exactly. I have a friend in Smithers. He has a few outfitter friends and does a little guiding himself. I met him through Shawn Raymond at Coal River Outfitters. Let me see what he has to say Rob.

Here's a pic of him with one of his better friends named Ketza. I just love this picture, one of my favorites. This bull wasn't far from Smithers.

07-Dec-14
rob 7500 is ok but 14,000 for a swamp donkey is nuts !!!

07-Dec-14
City,

Some AK/Yukon moose hunts are pushing $20K.

07-Dec-14
Yep. Quality outfitters are getting 18 grand. The thread on the Yukon hunt a week or so ago was 19K.

If that doesn't make you a DIY kinda guy I don't know what will!

07-Dec-14
My first Moose hunt in Northern BC was 1475 bucks, things have changed a bit in the last 30 years,

07-Dec-14
Any chance to get a deal on a couple auction tags at some of the big banquets some of the organization's hold this time of year?

08-Dec-14
A lot of the GOOD outfitters in AK and YK are getting $15-20k...for the largest moose variety in North America.

08-Dec-14

Tatonka's embedded Photo
Tatonka's embedded Photo
My hunt in Northern B.C. was $12,000....that included the hunt, the tags, etc...everything but my cost to get there.

I looked at the hunts further south around Smithers.... the further south you go, the smaller the bulls and the hunting pressure increases greatly.. Lots of people on ATV's, etc. The way I saw it, did I want to spend $7,500 or so to hunt a place where I may or may not kill a good bull (probably not), or did I want to save up a little longer and hunt a place where the I would be pretty much assured of bringing home a good bull.

I understand the problem with the $$$...especially when looking at paying for more than one hunter, but a person could easily pay $7,500 (times two) and go home with nothing or a small bull.

There are no guarantees when it comes to hunting anything anywhere unless you hunt a preserve, but as far as moose are concerned, Northern B.C. is as close as you'll come if you are looking for a good bull and the possibility of finding a great bull is always there...

Do what you can afford...the time with your daughter will be what you'll remember more than the size of the bulsl.

A photo the outfitter posted from facebook from this fall... The hunter passed on this bull.

08-Dec-14
Tatonka,

What a fabulous photo of a great bull!! Any explanation why the hunter passed (gun hunter looking for a monster, had killed several before, etc.)?

No way I'd pass on that animal with my bow....

08-Dec-14

Tatonka's embedded Photo
Tatonka's embedded Photo
I don't know why he passed....the outfitter just stated that he passed and didn't say why. If you'd like to see some really great photos (not just moose, but stone sheep, caribou, scenery, etc.) go the Cassiar Stone Oufitters facebook page. Here's a photo I took after I killed my bull. I called the guide after my hunt to see how the two hunters did that were coming in after my hunt... Both killed big bulls the first two days...one was a B&C bull. When they were coming back down the river there was a 65" monster standing on the riverbank...

08-Dec-14
Rob - Since you are taking your daughter, I assumed that getting a moose is highly important, would prefer hunting out of a cabin with hot water and toilet, and would appreciate hunting via Argo vehicles, not horses or pickup. I also thought cost might be a concern as you are paying for two.

Charlie R summed it up best on antler potential in NL and you obviously have NL experience from your caribou hunts. I was simply passing on my experience in response to your initial inquiry.

In response to your followup question, none of us shot 45" bulls as we were more interested in getting our first moose, not antlers. We were far from trophy hunters on this trip. Getting a moose with a bow is not easy, let alone thinking one will easily get a trophy.

However, my brother killed a very good velvet racked moose, and as stated, my other brother should have had a 50 incher. We filled our tags and are very happy with our first moose.

Good luck in your search. (note: we did see trophy moose and trophy caribou).

08-Dec-14
Hey Tim what did you bull score? Do you know the average score of the bulls that they are taking? Did you have any trouble with them wanting to split your rack to get it out of the field? Did you use horses?

08-Dec-14

Tatonka's embedded Photo
Tatonka's embedded Photo
I don't know the average score. I'm not into the scoring thing, but the guide scored mine at 188". As far as I'm concerned, you can take the moose scoring with a grain of salt.... the score doesn't reflect a lot (like the length of the tines, the color, the overall configuration, etc.).. I'll take the bull I killed over The B&C bull taken after I left any day...The B&C bull had wider and longer paddles, obviously, but my bull was more pleasing to "My Eye"...much larger fronts, more massive, etc.

No, they don't split the racks.. This was a boat hunt..we cruised the lake and river stopping and hiking a bit to call, etc. at various places.. They offer both horse hunts and boat hunts. Here's a picture I took in the cook cabin.... they put up the width and scores, year, name of hunter, etc. on the wall of the cabin. Of course, this is just on the lake I hunted... I didn't get all of the names, etc. in the picture I took... This should give you an idea of the moose they kill there.

08-Dec-14
Well, I guess you can't read that wall very well in the photo I posted... But if I remember right the smallest moose taken on this lake was a 42" bull by a bowhunter and the largest was 67"... Several were B&C bulls. Keep in mind that not all of the people they take in are looking for a huge bull...some just want a respectable moose. They've had fathers come in with their sons, girls who were first time hunters, etc... When I was there, there was a couple from New York state who were 74 and 75 years old.. They weren't really able to hit it very hard, but she killed a 53" bull and he killed a 47" bull. When I was communicating with Cassiar Stone Outfitters before I booked this hunt I was told that the bulls they kill average well over 50".

I saw a lot of cows and calves and younger bulls. From what I understand, the big bulls move in from the mountains when the rut starts, although there are big resident bulls also..

I passed on a bull around 45" to 47" the day before I killed my bull... The guide called him in from a long ways off right up to the river bank..he actually crossed the river over onto our side.. I would have taken him but the guide said no...that we could do better, so I let him go. I would have been perfectly happy with that bull, but I'm not complaining about waiting a day!!!

08-Dec-14
The first pic of the bull the hunter passed is awesome. I love great fronts. I couldn't care less what that bull scores I'd have done my damndest to let the air out of him!

08-Dec-14
I hunted moose with Adrenaline/Webbers this last September. I killed a 39" bull with my bow. 5 of 6 hunters killed bulls on the lake I hunted. Bulls ranged from 39"-57". They brought in a hunter the last 2 days from another lake and he killed a 47" Bull on the last day. I saw 4 moose total. Not a high volume animal, but to my mind they had a good success rate. I would describe my hunt as incredible, but I suppose having a bull at 12 yards would be awesome no matter where you are!! We stayed in a nice cabin with a toilet and shower. PM me if you want more info. This is in Manitoba by the way.

Kevin

08-Dec-14

Kdog's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here is my bull.

08-Dec-14

The other bulls in this pic were rifle kills. (Mine is the small one.) I did see one 50" bull, but we could not close the deal on that one.

09-Dec-14
I looked at Manitoba closely as it is within reasonable driving distance from where I live in Montana, but the success rates weren't all that great with the outfitters I talked to, the bulls they were taking were pretty average, and the cost wasn't a lot less than Northern British Columbia...

When I hunted Caribou in Manitoba last year one of the hunters went from The Lodge at Little Duck to another camp to hunt moose for 10 days... We dropped him off on our flight back to Thompson. I think it was Webber's Lodge, but I'm not sure on that. Anyway, I've stayed in contact with him and in 10 days of hunting he saw one moose.. Fortunately it was a decent bull (about a 45" bull), but he said it was a tough hunt...

Manitoba looks like it should be fantastic moose country.. Flying over northern Manitoba was incredible...miles and miles and miles of lakes, rivers, swamps, etc. I'm sure there are moose there that never see a human...

09-Dec-14
Sounds like you had an incredible hunt Tatonka. Guess I should have checked with you before I did my hunt :). (Joking of course.) From what Rob writes it sounds like Newfoundland might be a good option if he can find the right outfitter.

I was happy with my hunt and I am only sharing my experience, so take it for what its worth. Got a pic of the bull you killed?

09-Dec-14
Looks like you guys did just fine in Manitoba!!!! Nice bulls are taken all across the U.S. and Canada, of course...it's just narrowing things down to the best place what is within our budget.

I posted photos of my hunt on here a while back..... Unfortunately, my archery days are over I guess... wear and tear and age has rendered me unable to pull a bow back. This was the first fall I've not bought an archery stamp...tough pill to swallow (admitting that I can no longer do what I've always loved to do).

14-Dec-14
Just go diy hunt in ak.You'll save a lot be hunting the biggest moose.You have 3 years to ask questions and get prepared.You've already done the diy thing for elk so I assume you have the gear for camping.I wouldn't get that concerned over the bears.They have a healthy fear of humans over there for the most part and you can buy a bear fence to put around your tent to sleep with peace of mind. If you just want to kill a moose, go to NF.If you want a big moose then Ak is your choice.You can easily do the entire hunt for 2 for under 10k and that's everything included.Plus its the most incredible adventure there is and will be remembered forever.

14-Dec-14
Ontario is a very good place to hunt Moose, Although I maintain Geographic's should be a consideration, If your living in the eastern part of the US Newfoundland should be a top priority, Midwest well Ontario gets the nod, and so on,

• Sitka Gear