dhaverstick 12-Dec-14
Bou'bound 12-Dec-14
bb 12-Dec-14
bb 12-Dec-14
Bou'bound 12-Dec-14
PAstringking 14-Dec-14
Charlie Rehor 14-Dec-14
12-Dec-14
A buddy and I had a moose hunt all squared away for September 2015 in Newfoundland. However, our booking agent, Larry Holjencin of Premier Hunting Adventures, called us in late October to say he strongly suggested we rethink our outfitter choice. Apparently, there were some issues with respect to bowhunters this year and Larry didn't think we would get the kind of service we would need or expect. My friend and I are both longbow shooters so we were going to need guides who really, really understood bowhunting and bowhunters.

This is not the kind of news one wants to get, especially after a deposit had been put down. I started frantically looking at other outfitters on The Rock and going through my notes and after a lot of research I still had the feeling that the chances of getting a good bowhunting guide were not good. That's when I started rethinking the location of our hunt.

I had initially looked at Alberta for moose hunting but decided to go with NF instead due to moose density and cost. However, it was plain to see that Alberta was way more bow-friendly that Newfoundland was. Now it was just a matter of finding a reputable outfitter who still had spots open for 2015.

As luck would have it, Ryk Visscher of Ryk Visscher's Hunting Adventures, purchased two more moose tags just about the time my search was going on. He was hesitant at first to commit to anything since he hadn't worked out any of the logistics for the new tags but he finally got stuff figured out enough that he felt comfortable taking us on board.

Just about the time Ryk was ready for us to sign up, our deposits were returned from the NF outfitter. We are now all ready to go with Ryk and I am super excited about the trip. He's a bowhunter himself so he talks the talk and walks the walk.

I also can't thank Larry Holjencin enough for what he did for us. He was under no obligation to warn us off our initial choice. In fact, it just made a lot more work for him. But he is a stand-up guy and is truly concerned about his client's welfare. I would use him again in a heartbeat!

Darren

12-Dec-14
Let us know how it goes..

12-Dec-14
Darren who were you booked with in NL?

12-Dec-14
Sage Buffalo, I would prefer not to name names because I cannot independently verify the information given to me about that outfitter and the mishandling of bowhunters. I do, however, trust Larry Holjencin's judgement on the matter so decided to take him at his word and switch.

I know that other bowhunters have been happy with the NF outfitter we originally chose and I know of one guy who killed a moose with them this year using a longbow.

I still feel better that we switched.

Darren

12-Dec-14
i guess that good for you, but doesn't really help anyone else that might be heading for a potential issue. So what was the point of making the post?

I love these posts .

12-Dec-14
Because I wanted to talk up Larry Holjencin and Premier Hunting Adventures and not talk down about an outfitter that I have no first-hand experience with.

If someone really needed to find out who this outfitter is they could probably do a search on my name and/or handle and figure it out pretty quickly.

Darren

12-Dec-14
From November 2nd thread that opened with:

"After doing a lot of research, I booked a 2015 hunt with Portland Creek Outfitters through Premier Hunting Adventures. Now the waiting begins..."

It probably says something postiive about them that you were able to get your deposit back. If you let them know there was likely to be misalignment in expectations and delivery it was in everyone's best interest to not go through with the plan.

Good for you in being bold and good for them in averting a potential dissatisfied hunter.

12-Dec-14
+1 Bou

Ryk is an outstanding choice and you should have a great hunt with him.

There was a great thread about NL and NL guides earlier in the year. It's all about going during the right time of year with the right outfitter. If you do that you will be fine in NL. NL'ers have very few bowhunters but that doesn't stop the many who go from being successful. The guide I went with takes a lot of bowhunters and they kill NICE moose. I took a last minute rifle hunt late in the year but plan on going back with bow/gun during the rut (You can shoot multiple moose with him).

Obviously, everyone wants a pamphlet moose (50+") but not everyone is going to kill one of those. However, my outfitter does have a bowhunter or two who do.

Good luck and it sounds like the right choice for you!

12-Dec-14
I have never been able to figure out what a "bowhunting guide" is going to do for an accomplished hunter that a "rifle hunting " guide can't. If you are calling Moose, they will either co operate or they won't. If you are spotting and stalking, the hunter should be spotting, in addition to the guide. The stalking and shooting is up to the hunter, not the guide.

All the guide needs to do is have a knowledge of the area, a knowledge of the quarry and give the hunter the opportunity for him to create his own opportunity. A guide can't do any more for you than that. Anything different is an excuse and or a crutch.

12-Dec-14
"I have never been able to figure out what a "bowhunting guide" is going to do for an accomplished hunter that a "rifle hunting " guide can't. bb"

Most of the time the guides are intimidated by bowhunters. The guides seem to think we need them to control the animal or something? I've seen this first hand. Mike

12-Dec-14
Florida I hear what you are saying but that's usually not a NL guide. NL'ers are about the nicest people you will ever meet.

BB: My point exactly. I would rather have a NL guide who knows how to call and KNOWS the area than anything else. Unlike most places you hunt you can't walk from A-B in NL.

12-Dec-14
If I am going to kill a moose with my bow, I need that animal to be 30 yards or less from me; preferably a lot less. I also need a guide who knows not to crawl in the brush with me on that final stalk.

I have heard waaay too many horror stories from bowhunters that had guides who were not bowhunters; especially stickbow shooters. The guide either thought the person should be shooting at the animal when it was still 80 yards away or thought that they both should belly crawl up the last 20 yards so the hunter could get a shot.

I called a bunch of different outfitters in Newfoundland and the vast majority of them balked when I said I was using a longbow, was not bringing a gun for backup and needed to be 30 yards or less from the moose for a shot. Most of them asked me if I was sure if I wanted to only use a bow. If they were bowhunters themselves, or really understood bowhunters, they would have never even asked that question.

That's why, for me personally, I would like a guide who bowhunts too. I think they will understand more clearly what it's going to take for me to kill a moose.

12-Dec-14
I would find it pretty easy to tell the guy I'm not shooting at 80 and you're not crawling to within 20 that would not be difficult to address. Once he knew that he could focus on calling in the game and taking me to areas that have historically produced sightings

12-Dec-14
If you are afraid of going because you may get a rifle guide, rather than a bow hunting guide, you could potentially be missing out on a great hunt for no particularly good reason.

12-Dec-14
"The guides seem to think we need them to control the animal or something?" Mike, maybe some do, but I think far more often the hunter relies way too much on the guide, thinking the guide can unrealistically control the outcome of the hunt or encounter, when in fact the hunter should be controlling the outcome and the guide is along for the ride so to speak once the quarry is located.

If Portland Creek is the outfit, they seem very stand up in giving your deposit back. At the end of the day, you have to do what you are comfortable with. If it were me, It would be a non issue whether my guide was a rifle hunter or bow hunter, it wouldn't even enter my mind. All I would want to know...does he know where to find Moose. After that, he can stay home if he wants for all I care.

12-Dec-14
I agree with BB the only real downside I see to a guy who doesn't bow hunt is if they start pouting when the hunt takes longer then a gun hunt and sightings don't result in killing. You just don't want a guide who becomes disengged because he showed a bowhunter gun-killable animals and is tired of them not being killed with the bow.

that can lead to some strained days later in the hunt.

14-Dec-14
bb... I completely agree with your above statements. I have seen bowhunters miss and blow multiple stalks on trophy animals... They then blame the guide.

14-Dec-14
It's good for both You and the outfitter that you changed. This way it's all on you while in Alberta. As others have said the Outfitter should be commended for returning the deposit. Thanks for pointing out who he is! If Larry wants to be a hunt consultant sponsor on Bowsite have him contact me.

• Sitka Gear