mixed bag 08-Jan-15
Mule Power 08-Jan-15
mn_archer 08-Jan-15
alaskaexpress 12-Jan-15
mn_archer 20-Jan-15
Nick Muche 20-Jan-15
midwest 20-Jan-15
03-Jan-15
my father, who will be 70 soon has some odd dream of killing a moose. I have already been to AK and killed a very nice moose and caribou, but am planning on helping fulfill this dream. I want to bring him up there in 2016 on a drop camp, diy type hunt.

When I hunted back in 97 I went with ketchums, who we all know is long gone. in doing some research ive come to believe 40 mile might be the right people for us.

Has anyone done any of the float hunts with them and if so which of the three offered did you do? Also was there ever any opportunities at caribou or black bear?

Has anyone done any of the lake hunts they offer and if so same questions as above?

And finally, are their cub hunts landed on gravel bars or hillsides somewhere? if a hillside was there plenty of water available?

im in pretty good shape and have packed a lot of game and hunted in very adverse conditions so im ready for this. My dad is not in great shape but he can get plenty far from the tent. Part of me thinks the float hunt would be sweet cause we could have some spots predetermined to camp and hunt away from the river, hopefully getting away from the crowds. what I don't want to get into is a situation where the game is 5 miles from the tent and have to hump a moose through tussocks that far.

thanks!

michael

03-Jan-15
one more question for the float hunting idea...

can you realistically carry 2 moose and 2 guys in a single raft???

thanks!

michael

03-Jan-15
Although I haven't been on a float trip, I have hunted twice with Joe Schuster's "Sportsman's Air Service" on DIY drop camps. Float trips would be a good way to help ensure that your pack is short, as you are limited in terms of the distance you can see, and therefore the distance from your boat or camp that you might be tempted to shoot a moose. Many drop camps are set up on river systems and you await bulls to just move through during the rut. These hunts also promote short packing distance, and with a good outfitter offer high success and no competition.

Typically, the outfitter will retrieve your moose shortly (within a day or two) after you harvest one, so you wouldn't need to transport two of them at the same time unless, you basically shot two at the same time.

04-Jan-15
40 Mile has great success on Caribou hunts. But after doing some homework on the moose hunting in that unit from what I can see it's all or nothing. Good quality bulls with a 50/50 chance at best of killing one. They are knocking down the predators there and the moose numbers are rebounding but right now you can find better moose hunts.

They are a transporter and not an outfitter so you'll need your own gear. Have you looked into Papa Bear Adventures? Higher success out of Bethel and you can have a camp set for you. Of course it's more money but if I was 70 years old I'd be going that route.

As far as float hunts go... if I was 70... or 50 (lol) I wouldn't want to set camp up 5 times during one hunt while navigating a travel corridor that was no big secret. I'd take a lake hunt or ridge top landing. The water question is a good one. Best of luck to you. There are others here with much more knowledge on the subject than me but I've done my share of research that's for sure.

05-Jan-15
We will be driving up from Minnesota, so yes we are bringing our gear.

one plan I first thought of is out. it blew my mind when I checked the regs on 19b to see if there were any changes from when I last hunted there, and yeah, there were some changes. No nr moose hunters with out a guide!

as far as my float hunting idea I wouldn't be moving every day. find a decent area and hunt the trip there. I would just be using the river to get away from the landing spot so to speak.

ill take 50% odds every time because in my experience that's about a sure thing if your willing to put in the effort. heck where ive elk hunted offs are about 8% or so and ive killed at least one elk there every year and had countless chances at others.

the funny thing is I haven't even told my father yet, although we did talk a bit about doing something like this in the next few years.

05-Jan-15
40 mile air takes return clients first and then opens booking up to new clients on the 15th of December. It filled up with returnees and there were no openings for 2015. I would also have a "plan B" in the works.

05-Jan-15
I'm leery of doing a float hunt in Alaska after hearing the advice of Pete In Fairbanks...

"I haven't posted my float hunt advice on Bowsite for a long time. I love to do it periodically. Kevin is very perceptive. Most float hunting in AK is a "volume business" by the air taxiis and other transporters.

Here is what I suggest you do when you feel the need to go on a float hunt for moose in Alaska:

First put on your long johns, wool shirt and pants and your rain gear.

Next, fill the bathtub with cold water and add a few bags of ice cubes. Then turn the shower on like a light sprinkle of rain (still very cold.)

Then, pour about a cup and half of sand/silt into your shorts.

Finally, sit down in the tub (with the cold shower spraying you) and begin lifting weights.

After a few hours you will be having the same sensation as a drop-off float hunt for moose.

You will see just as many moose in your bathroom as if you were floating down a river a day or two behind the last raft full of gullible NR hunters.

But here is the great part: It is WAY less expensive.

I offer this as a public service. Yer welcome....

Pete"

05-Jan-15
Yeah, I seen that too. Pete speaks with wisdom. He has been in AK working and guiding longer than some of us have been alive.

You learn a few things along the way, as my father says. I was laying in bed last night thinking just how fun it would be to not only battle the daily rains, but some overspray or perhaps an overturned boat. Then early this am I once again read Bustaribs story and it has me scratching what little hair I have left out~

The one area I was seriously thinking about floating is no longer available to unguided non resident hunters. Makes that decision very easy for me.

michael

05-Jan-15
I had a moose float hunt turn into a stationary hunt this year due to weather. I have had extremely good fortune when it has come to weather on Alaska hunts so I was due... but holy hell did mother nature make up for my previous good fortune. We averaged 17 hours or so a day in the tent due to rain and 30-40 mph winds. Our bomb shelter was nearly flattened one night by winds from a tsunami that came up from Japan.

I had a blast, but I am SO thankful we had the foresight to not take off floating immediately from the drop off lake. It was 40+ miles to the ocean/pick-up and the river conditions went from calm to essentially out of the banks with debris everywhere seemingly overnight. We elected to weather it out at the drop off lake and use the raft as an expensive yard ornament for the tent campsite.

So what would I do differently? Not much. We had bad fortune and had we been able to float out the original plan we may have killed. I will be doing a stationary hunt next time around, maybe as soon as this fall depending on how the next two months of job interviews unfold.

05-Jan-15
A tsunami creates wind???

05-Jan-15
Well I'm assuming you already realize the answer to that is no, just didn't want to go into too much detail about an irrelevant side tangent to my post. Sarcastic questions may cause me to do otherwise now. But the weather report we called out for said a tsunami off the coast of the Japan headed North to combine with a Bering Sea storm and we would be smart to "batten down the hatches". We somewhat blew it off and almost paid for it. I don't know how to accurately quantify winds once they are that high, just that it was easily 75+ mph for the majority of the night and into the next morning. Our tent poles were warped bad on a tent I thought was indestructible.

We could have moved camp to a swampier but more protected area if we took the report more seriously. Lesson learned.

05-Jan-15
Trevor you never got back with me to tell me about the trip? PM me. Bob.

05-Jan-15
TEmbry....just razzin you a bit. Can't imagine camping in remote Alaska in a wind like that. I would probably be curled up in the fetal position praying for my life!

05-Jan-15
To me float hunting is road hunting. After all streams big enough for non res hunters to safely float are essentially roads in Alaska. But what's worse than that is they are and endless landing strip for planes. I once heard a story of a float hunt where the guys floating would round bend after bend to see airplanes had spotted moose ahead of them and landed to hunt them before the floaters could get there. Not to mention the floaters ahead of them. That's too much of a rat race for me. Plus I don't like the pressure of having to be at point B at a given time. I prefer to park my butt in a quality spot and hunt with patience pressure free until my pilot shows up to get me.

This year repeat clients filled 40 Mile's schedule before any newcomers could get a spot. So Like razorsharp said... better have a plan B. Zack at Tok Air would be a plan B if you want to hunt that area & 50/50 is good enough. But I think a guy can find better odds than that.

06-Jan-15
im not sure ive ever hunted anywhere where there were better odds than 50%.

if you float hunt like a road hunter than that is what it is, but if you get out of the boat and put on some boots than it wouldn't be. I have had enough horror story pm's than im not sure I want to take my father on a float for his first ak hunt.

ive got a lot of time to put in some serious research and that is fully what I intend to do.

michael

06-Jan-15
If you've hunted AK, you know what the land is like and you have an ageing dad to contend with. You're planning the trip so his safety is your responsibility.

I have limited time in AK, but I've done several dozen miles hiking tundra with creeks and all the mushy thick crap. I take my dad elk hunting every year and there's no way I'd take him more than a mile from camp in AK. Even a mile is pushing it. I don't think it'd be wise to go a 1/2 mile if it was anything but flat muskeg.

I had a situation this season where I pushed my dad and he got to the point where he couldn't go any further and the next day, told me he needed a day off. Don't put yourself in that position. It's easy to overestimate someone else's ability. You've never been old.

06-Jan-15
After a recent near death experience by another bowsite regular while on a "Float hunt" with a guide, I don't think I would lean that direction. Mike

06-Jan-15
I'm heading on my second trip up in 2016. I used Joe Shuster the first go around, but honestly his price is so high now that I cannot touch it. The couple areas I would look into is Papa Bear (who I am going with), Renfro, Larry Bartlette's advice, or Tok Air...

06-Jan-15
Its awesome u want to hunt with your father ! I myself wouldn't take a 70 year old person into a situation like this . A spill in the river can be life threatening,esp when help can be days away ! You can have just has much if not more fun on a antelope hunt with your dad . Dosent matter what species u chase as long as u do it together ! be safe louis

06-Jan-15
NEVER would I take my 70 yr old father on a float hunt!!!40 mile has some easier hunts for your father,and success is 50% per camp not per hunter.Some camps have 4-5 guys in them and others just 2.So that's 1 moose between 6-7 guys.Thats the true number.A friend went with them last year and saw a lot of moose but none over the 50" limit.They do access an area with no size limit.They are a great outfit but don't misunderstand the success rate

06-Jan-15
Why not do a Newfoundland moose hunt? Make sure it's a fly-in. Getting away from the crowds. There's more moose, but not as large in NF.

06-Jan-15
I wouldn't hesitate to take a 70 year old. But 70 year olds come in all shapes and sizes so it's hard to say. I would just make sure I had a plan to fit his goals and abilities. I would not do a float hunt. You are pretty much forced to do as you mentioned and put down some boot leather... or rubber the case of Alaska. IdyllwildArcher is dead on: A half mile up there can be like 10 in the Rockies. Plus even if you do manage to get him, or yourself that far... what if you drop a 1600 pound bull over there? With a senior citizen partner you could become a middle aged solo moose packer. Not a good thing.

I would take a good look at the suggestions from standswittaknife. Solid advice there.

06-Jan-15
Louis,

my dad and I have hunted western states at least 25+ times together for elk, antelope, whitetails and mule deer not to mention countless trips to mt, ia, ks, ne, sd, and nd for birds. This is about fulfilling his dream of moose hunting. He has applied in mn every single year they have had a drawing, some 30 years or so I guess and never has drawn a tag.

The trip with Bustaribs has definitely weighted heavily on my decision and yes, we are probably scraping the float hunt idea at this time.

The 50% odds per camp now make more sense. I was under the assumption that it was 50% per hunter, not camp. Those numbers are misleading- at best.

I have been in AK quite a bit and lived in Dutch Harbor all through college in the summers. Most of the places ive been in AK have been easier going than places ive elk hunted in the west so the terrain doesn't scare me in the least. That isn't to mean I wont respect it because you bet your butt I will and do. When that plane leaves you are on your own, even with a sat phone they can only get back so fast and that is if the weather allows.

We have a lot of time to research this and I fully plan to use every minute of it as wisely as my feeble mind will allow.

thanks again

michael

06-Jan-15
Michael,

I think this is great!! I would say my Ak. moose hunt was one of the least physically demanding hunts I have been on. We got lucky and had pretty good weather with no major delays getting in and out. Went 2 for 2 and the longest pack out was maybe .5 miles?

If you are in the right spot you don't have to cover nearly as much ground as an elk hunt. Rent a sat phone for safety and go have a great time with your dad.

06-Jan-15
If it's about fulfilling his dream, maybe consider an outfitted Canadian hunt where he's the only hunter and you're just paying an observer rate. Chances are only one person is going to tag out anyways so why not set yourself up for the best possible outcome?

It's still going to be an expensive hunt so if you can't wing that financially, going back to the drawing board could include contacting some transporters and explaining your situation and ask them where they've dropped people that have had success close to the runway or the lake that they were dropped at.

07-Jan-15
I WOULD take my Dad on a moose hunt just NOT a float trip.Too much work and danger involved for an older man,esp. my Dad.I think youd have a great time together way back in there relying on each other.Be an experience you'd never forget and that's what you want.Just a lot easier ways to get a moose then float hunting I think.Alotof 40miles area you can still take a caribou if the moose aren't cooperating

07-Jan-15
Go to Newfoundland!!!

You will kill a moose with any great fly-in outfit. Just be sure to be honest with yourselves and outfitter.

I know many great 70 years olds but even at 44 I am not 28. Most good outfitters will put you in the best situation to be successful.

Ironbound in NF is a great outfit - helicopter ride in is amazing. Great chance at a big bull. Fun time!

Lots of options for you and your Dad!

07-Jan-15
Mn archer

I ha e a guy but it is a draw hunt. Pm me for more info. LSt season there were leftover tags.

07-Jan-15
This is crazy. My father lives 40 min away from me and he just called to tell me he is driving over here now and he wants me to drive him to the ER as he has shortness of breath! I was going to head to his place but my house is on the way to the hospital anyway so he wants me to wait for him. Im sure its nothing but immediately I thought about this thread.

On a brighter side I sat my wife down and explained it to here about what I wanted to do and somewhat covered my idea of what I thought I needed for a budget and she is 100% on board- with one small request that she at some point wants me to put some money aside so she can bring her father hiking on the Appalachian trail.

So, the biggest hurdle of getting her on board can be checked off. whew~

I also had Arrowhead Outfitters return a call about hunting the south side of the Brooks but I was in the shower so I need to call him back tomorrow. I have several other outfitters ive but feelers into and am waiting on a couple other ideas.

I am thinking about putting us in for Koyukuk and if we draw great otherwise its going to be an otc area unless we hold off one more year and try the draw a second time. I wish Id have gotten us into this years draw but to be honest I would like a little longer to set the money aside.

Anyone hunt any of the Koyukuk draw units, are they worth trying another year for if it doesn't work out next year for the draws?

thanks again for all the pm's guys, I really appreciate it!

michael

07-Jan-15
Labby ill get in touch with you tomorrow

thanks

michael

07-Jan-15
I hunted unit 24 c . Pm me with questions.

07-Jan-15
Hope your dad's okay, Michael.

08-Jan-15
well he has some sort of lung infection. The dr scared the heck out of me right away as they started treating him for possible heart attack. All the tests came back fine however, and in the end he has some sort of flu and a lung infection.

All is well.

On the way home I told him I was planning a moose hunt for 2016 as sort of a thank you gift for getting me into hunting. It was pretty quiet in the truck for a while I think he was pretty shocked.

Then we talked about the idea if in the end we didn't get in touch with an air taxi to bring us into a promising moose area we could always switch to a caribou hunt in a 2 caribou unit. He sounded pretty excited about that as well.

I told him I was planning on driving to AK so we could bring our own gear, and make sure it got there, and also have no issues bringing all the meat home if we scored some game. I think he is honestly looking forward to the drive more than the hunt! lol

Well now that he knows its time to crack down and get serious about this, and I also would like to lose a little weight, or at least get my cardio back to a level where packing a moose out by myself isn't scary

thanks again

michael

08-Jan-15
Good luck to youand your Dad finding a good hunt to go on.I did a trip to Africa 3 years back with my Dad and it will always be a great memory of mine.Ihope someone can help you with a great hunt

08-Jan-15
mn_archer..... all of the sudden I'm excited for you. Now that I see the pieces actually coming together I'm ready to get this plan on paper!!!! Or better yet, set in stone.

Koyukuk is a tough draw. Papa Bear does very well. Have you considered him? It's far enough in advance to get on his schedule.

Glad to hear your dad is ok. Lots of people sick right now. Keep us posted and good luck.

08-Jan-15
Mule-

I have pm'ed a few people who have went with him and need to get back to one today.

12-Jan-15
mn archer, My bro and I did a float on the innoko and it was awesome. ran into another raft, father and son, pop was 75 yrs old.you will have a great time. also we took 2 moose and didn't have too much of a problem, a little harder to control the raft, but not undoable. the northern rivers may be shallower witch might make two moose more difficult. Mepps #2 spinners a must.

20-Jan-15
well it looks like I may have found a spot for us for 2016. also, on a funny note, my dad will be 67 this April. oops, I thought he was older than that. oh well.

We are getting together this coming Sunday and ill break the news to him. hopefully its something to motivate him to lose a little weight- which we all could do I suppose.

thanks again for all the help and information. I spoke with a bunch of outfitters and air taxis and decided to go with a smaller outfit and am very confident I made the right decision.

michael

20-Jan-15
Awesome!

20-Jan-15
Good deal, michael....best of luck!

• Sitka Gear