Ambush 09-Jan-15
Foot Shooter 10-Jan-15
mixed bag 10-Jan-15
Ambush 10-Jan-15
cmbbulldog 10-Jan-15
skinner creek 10-Jan-15
Ambush 10-Jan-15
03-Jan-15
British Columbian resident hunters have recently been informed that an agreement worked out and agreed to has been pulled out from under them. The Guide Outfitters Association of BC [GOABC] has successfully lobbied the government , in secret, to greatly increase their share of the available wildlife. Up to forty percent in the case of sheep, goats and grizzlies.

How many of you would allow that in your home state?

And now to top it off, the largest, most active BC hunting site has been threatened with legal action to stifle resident hunters from voicing dissenting views.

Most BC'ers welcome foreign hunters. We have one of the most diverse and hunt-able game populations in the world, likely second only to RSA. And most BC'ers still support credible outfitters that work with and not against residents.

But at this point it looks like there will be a knock-down, drag-out all out fight over the future face of hunting in BC, particularly for non-residents.

What are many BC residents asking you to do? Don't book a hunt with any member of the GOABC. If you have booked a hunt, rest assured that residents will still welcome you as a fellow hunter engaged in the same pursuit that we all cherish.

Perhaps it's time for influential US clubs and sportman's associations to lobby for non-resident draws and let the winners decide how they want to hunt. Guided or not.

BC resident hunters are definitely feeling shafted and it's going to get ugly on the mountains, in the woods and possibly in the courts.

03-Jan-15
Same thing happened in CO, where a significant percentage of resident tags were taken out of the drawing pool and given to outfitters to sell.

Good luck with the BC problem. As we learned in CO during the "deliberation process", it was already a done deal no matter what resident hunters thought of it.

Hunting is big business. It ain't the old days anymore.

04-Jan-15
I don't think I will ever hunt in BC. I do feel for the residents though. Its clear that money is talking there as well.

I remember the landowner voucher debacle in Co. I would love to hunt one of the better units in Co for elk but I won't buy a voucher though. I will continue to hunt the easier draw units or OTC.

04-Jan-15
I'd say you folks were shafted. 40% of tags to outfitters, not even the pretense of landowner tags.

You were sold out. Literally.

You have my support, for what it's worth from here....

04-Jan-15
Total BS that BC residents believe they should be gifted OTC Stone Sheep tags every year, but they are. Theire are certain species fhat every hunter should be satisfied to be successful at once in a lifetime.

Beyond that are there BC residents unable to hunt their chosen species at will on an annual basis?

04-Jan-15
I always thought that Stone Sheep was OTC for residents. Where does the 40% number come from?

04-Jan-15
Its what happens when hunting becomes big business. I hate it.

In my travels and dreams of old, I often found myself wishing to live where I could hunt moose. elk, caribou, etc... out my door. But, I realize after dreaming a bit, I live in a state that a simple $100 will put a bear, turkeys, all the small game I can carry, and 7-9 whitetails in the freezer. No tags, no BS. You go and buy it and you go hunting. No draws, no crap like this. It is just ridiculous. You pay to play but, everybody gets the same options. I'll take living in the east and having it this way than any of the hunting scenarios these awesome places offer.

Good luck to you guys. I hope you win. God Bless

04-Jan-15
ambush ok outfitters get more tags but i assume they need to book more hunters? What will happen to these tags if outfitter dont use them or sell hunts ?

04-Jan-15
who can afford to go to BC?

04-Jan-15
Agree with tilzbow. BC residents should be spending their energy stopping all the poaching and all the..." I can kill anything and everything all year long" Indian/First Nations/ anyone who has a card thing. After that...Then I would start to negotiate with the outfitters.

04-Jan-15
Money changes everything !

04-Jan-15
Good post Ambush

For anyone coming here to BC, when you sign your agreement with the outfitter, ask what your $150 Hunting Preservation Fund you are being charged is actually going to?? It is supposed to help ensure there is hunting here in BC and to fight any anti-hunting groups taking away hunting rights.

The GOABC has paid over $100000 to our provincial government in "Election Contributions" to get these changes. When asked, the VP of the GOABC would not answer when I asked if the HPF was being used to grease politicians and if the hunters who are paying are aware of this. And it is now probably paying for a lawyer to write letters to squash residents voices.

I am an assistant guide (semi retired), but a resident hunter first.

We need to get this straightened out so we can get back to making more wildlife of all to enjoy.

Thanks of taking the time to read this.

Cheers

SS

04-Jan-15
"Total BS that BC residents believe they should be gifted OTC Stone Sheep tags every year, but they are. Theire are certain species fhat every hunter should be satisfied to be successful at once in a lifetime."

I couldn't disagree with you more on this. Are you saying that you don't feel anyone has the right to kill more than one Stone Sheep in their life?

Who are you to pick the specie in which you deem more "sacred" than all others? I don't mean any disrespect with that question, but what about other species in which someone else might hold more dear to them?

I understand the anger there in BC, I really do. It isn't over yet if you all pull together and get on the phone.

michael

04-Jan-15
Money !

04-Jan-15
Can someone explain to me what this does to BC residents ability to hunt? I was always under the impression that the most desirable tags were all OTC for BC residents. Are there areas that were draw only that residents are losing opportunities now? Are the OTC tags going into a lottery? What number of tags are we talking about here? $100,000 doesn't sound like a lot to secure 40% of the tags considering how much these hunts go for.

04-Jan-15
I'm just glad I was able to hunt BC for elk, goat, grizzly , moose, and stone sheep back in the 90's

05-Jan-15
I had bad experiences with poaching resident hunters in BC for years. Once located a very large ram a few days prior to season. Sat and watched while R hunters flew over landed and shot it the day before season and nothing was done even thought we hiked out and reported it. I will shed no tears for BC R hunters.

05-Jan-15
R Hale,

Lumping all BC resident hunters (100,000 people or so) into the same bucket as poachers is like saying all Kansas hunters are poachers. Just isn't the case in either jurisdiction. Sorry you had a bad experience but I don't even know any resident hunters with an airplane. Except for commercial operators with planes on floats where I hunt there is no air traffic. I do know some outfitters use super cubs in some of the sheep areas and have heard of mis-use.

Ambush's post isn't about poaching so let's drop it there.

05-Jan-15
bigeasygator, BC residents can hunt multiple big game species every year without going through a draw. There are also limited draw hunts, which must be the topic in question.

Hopefully some of the residents will respond to your questions.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/leh_14_15.pdf

05-Jan-15
Kurt,

If you wish to drop it do so. After a dozen or so Stone's sheep hunts and the BS I put up with, I am free to comment on it.

05-Jan-15
This is just another fracture of the hunting community, another us versus them. We are destroying the thing we all care about and we are doing it to ourselves. Can’t blame this one on the anti’s. Look at what is happening all over. New Mexico changed their policy last year almost eliminating a NR from drawing a great tag. Residents were thrilled, more for us. Arizona is looking to cut NR opportunity now. Wyoming has introduced a bill to cut NR. We were all thrilled when Bill V drew his tag last year. That probably would not have happened under new rules. Montana residents pushed so no sheep can be relocated out of THEIR state. BC is fighting over allocations because residents want more. Alberta is the same thing. There are changes coming there and the first thing you hear is cut the outfitters(NR). Then on top of that we have the bow versus gun argument versus Xbow. The “I cant look at an animal that was shot with a rifle”. I can come up with more examples but hopefully some of you will get my point.

Like someone said above, I am glad I hunted what I did when I did because those opportunities are fading away and we have no one to blame but ourselves. This is just my opinion, Maybe I AM getting old and cranky but it is not always about what is just good for me.

07-Jan-15
I've been gone a few days. My buddy got an elk draw that both of us have been putting in for for years, so we figured we better use it. Not a real special tag, we just don't have much luck in draws.

Tilzbow. Man, I don't know what to say to you, so I'll say nothing.

R Hale. You got some bad luck to be buzzed by the only five resident hunters that own planes and happened to be there just when you were.

For the others. The only two species that are on draw only is grizzly and bison. For the rest there are OTC or GOS tags available somewhere in the province. But the area could be an several hundred miles away from your home. Many people can't hunt moose, elk, sheep, goat, grizzly anywhere near their homes. Some folks from Vancouver Island travel two days, one way, for their annual moose hunt to get to areas that are not unduly restricted.

We have areas that are open for moose or elk, but access is difficult and often because outfitters have lobbied to have roads closed. So the average Joe has to hire horses or planes. Guess what? The outfitters also lobbied to have packers restricted. And they have deals where local pilots won't fly residents into areas that the outfitters hunt or that pilot doesn't get their business.

In these same areas where the residents are on GOS than outfitters are not restricted either. In many guide territories in the upper half of the province, an outfitter can sell as many hunts as he can book and handle.

Unfortunately, in the early 2,000's many outfitters wrangled "regional" deals to over harvest and inflate their quotas. This made their territory, on paper, very valuable and some were sold at very high prices. The harvest levels were not and never were sustainable. It was about money, pure and simple.

Let me be clear. BC hunters do not want to exclude "foreign" hunters. Our fight is with the Guide Outfitters Association of BC and their under handed dealings.

Many BC residents would rather see a non-resident component in the draw system. For example, where residents are on GOS then make a number of tags available to non-residents in a draw. The non-resident could decide to go guided or not. There is no good reason that a US hunter shouldn't be able to put in for a Stone, goat, moose or elk and go hunt on his own if he wants. For some species like black bears, draw tag numbers could and should be very generous. The only reason you can't is that the outfitters have a strangle hold on non-residents. Another big surprise is that some area's owners have US addresses.

But I guess the real beef is; up to forty percent of the tags available for draw would be going to outfitters rather than the hunters that live here, that volunteer their time for wildlife here and pay taxes and fees to manage and enhance the game populations here.

I'm just asking you to ask yourself. Would you tolerate that in your home state?

07-Jan-15
I would tolerate sheep in my province :) I would also tolerate being able to hunt in the rest of my country that I pay federal taxes for but can not hunt without having family or a hunter host.

Canada does way too many screwed up things to mention. Just add another to the list.

08-Jan-15
Jim: I couldn't agree any more with your post. It is spot on. I think that this poses a great opportunity for WS foundation though. As a resident of a state that has no wild sheep, I still try to donate to the cause. However, if each state (and province) is going to adopt this "me only" approach, I have to confess that I am less enthusiastic about sending any of my money to their state or province in order for them to better manage "their" sheep. This includes supporting WSF which provides funding to these states and provinces for causes effecting their wild sheep. This issue begs for some leadership and no organization is better positioned to provide it than WS Foundation.

08-Jan-15
BC residents getting shafted due to political contributions from special interests....jeez where have we heard that story before- Oh yeah, everywhere in the US

Guys using an outfitter in BC need to keep one thing in mind, the tag allotment to outfitters is a little different than in the states. For example, outfit A gets one grizzly bear tag. If you don't tag out on your hunt he can use it for another hunter and another hunter-later. Not exactly an incentive to get you one as these tags are golden.

08-Jan-15
Jim in PA and Mad Trapper. The Wild Sheep Society of BC [WSSoBC] is also more than concerned with parts of this allocation fiasco. The Society is made up mostly of resident hunters and concerned outdoors people. They are also non-political. Their sole concern is and should be more sheep on the mountain. One of the greatest concerns to them is for the bighorns in the southeast of the province in an area known as the East Kootaneys.

The outfitters there got sheep put on GOS for themselves. That means they can sell as many hunts and kill as many sheep as they can get hunters on. But of course there is more to the story. Counts show that the number of harvest-able rams to be about sixty for the hunt-able area. Plus residents will also be hunting there. With "creative" inventory they were able to include surrounding parks, mine property and resident only areas to bring the harvest-able numbers up to two hundred. They can't access those sheep for their clients, but they can sell sheep hunts based on those numbers. Some outfitters are selling some very high priced camping trips into some beautiful country but not much chance of shooting a ram.

Beendare also makes an important point. Outfitters have a five year window in which to fill their quota when they are under quota. For example: an outfitter has ten sheep tags over a five year period. He could shoot eight of those sheep in the first year and then keep booking hunters over the next four years looking for those last two rams. You could be going to an area that has just been creamed of the good rams, but the "success" rate would look great during your research. An outfitter can keep selling that tag until someone kills the ram. If he can maintain a 25% success rate that means each tag is worth four hunts.

The outrage and outcry from resident hunters has been unprecedented and has now garnered a lot of attention with the media, non-hunting public and particularly politicians. The main government players have now stated that they "...didn't get it quite right..." and they are going to re-look at it.

Non-residents should look very carefully at booking in BC for the near future anyway. Nobody wants to be caught up in a mess when they have put their hard earned dollars into a dream trip. But if this drags on and no real progress is made then the situation is going to come to an extreme conclusion and that may well end with no non-resident hunting in BC.

That would be a sad day, but the blame will lay squarely with a small group of greedy people that care little for wildlife and a lot for their bank accounts.

09-Jan-15
Wherever there is money, there is corruption.

Wherever there is something of value, there are people trying to steal it.

09-Jan-15
I have always thought Canada would be a good place to hunt some day. If it's going to cost me some figure with four zeros attached (i.e., outfitted hunt) it ain't going to happen. As has been pointed out above, a lot of states are screwing out-of-state hunters (New Mexico and Oregon spring to mind). When I go to Wyoming in the summer the places I hit in the fall (meat packers, taxidermists) aren't even open for business, I know out-of-staters have a significant positive benefit on the local economy, a benefit that will lessen as fewer out-of-staters chose to apply.

Who can hunters write to to express their opinion about this outfitter tag-grab?

09-Jan-15
And just to add:

Guide outfitting is a business. And like in all businesses there are different models and attitudes at work.

Some businesses are run on integrity both in personnel and product. They have what they say and do there best to deliver. They look after problems fairly and put costumers first. BC has some guides like this.

Some businesses are in it for only the money and will go to any lengths to get yours. Miss-leading, disrespectful, often smooth talking and not above just plain ripping people off in regards to delivery of the promised product. BC has some of this type of guide as well.

The GOABC shook hands on an agreement in 2007. That was good enough for the residents to believe it was done. But apparently the GOABC doesn't honor our forefathers code.

BC residents are hoping that the good, honest, hard working guides that are also giving back, will separate themselves from the GOABC. Because, right or wrong, if you ride with horse thieves, you will hang with the horse thieves.

09-Jan-15
Good stuff Ambush. reminds me of a quote, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” ? Margaret Mead

I think that outfitting businesses are a good thing...and the gov should facilitate them so they can run their businesses in an ethical manner. But this stinks of special interest....and that is never a good thing for society as a whole.

09-Jan-15
Just for the record, Rocky mountain elk muledeer whitetail stone sheep big horn sheep (Both california bighorns and Rocky Mtn) goat moose black bear cougar bobcat lynx wolf

The only species not over the counter are grizz, Rosy elk, dall sheep The odds are only tough one to draw is the Rosy tag.

there are many LEH draws as well for different species which would include doe and cow tags.

You must realize you can hunt these species ever single year! I bet most of you can't say that about your state.

09-Jan-15
And just for the record many of the animals mentioned are not available, OTC, in many areas. Yes, Stones are GOS in SOME areas IF you want to head north which may be two days on the road and then an expensive plane or jet boat ride.

Same with elk, moose, deer, caribou and goats where many areas are on draw only.

Guides also have areas of open season, no limit on these same animals.

Simply put, a resident can't just buy a tag for all the listed animals and hunt anywhere.

Doug, you forgot draw only on bison to. Easy one to forget, 'cause the odds are poor.

09-Jan-15
Really I did forget bison as well as OTC caribou. Most of all the stone sheep are OTC tags. You need to actually tell the truth. If you are going to go on a spout off. If the resident hunters are on LEH draws the guides are automatically on a quota, not no limit as you claim. quote"no limit on these animals."

09-Jan-15
Really I did forget bison as well as OTC caribou. Most of all the stone sheep are OTC tags. You need to actually tell the truth. If you are going to go on a spout off. If the resident hunters are on LEH draws the guides are automatically on a quota, not no limit as you claim. quote"no limit on these animals."

09-Jan-15
Jim in PA for the win. Jim is right as usual. Stop the fighting! Use our time, energy and money to fight the real enemies, not each other!

09-Jan-15
I did tell the truth. And if residents are on Draw then why should an outfitter get forty percent of the total?

And when you say GOS should be honest and include the restrictions that go with that season. How about spike/fork moose GOS that covers a big portion of the province. Some would rather have a unicorn tag 'cause you may at least see one of those.

How about those Kootany Bighorns? GOS for residents. But guess what GOS for outfitters to. And they somehow managed to inflate the numbers over threefold to get it. Not many rams will survive that onslaught will they? Guides got that little gem aranged, NOT resident sheep hunters.

I didn't call you out and I very plainly stated that there were good outfitters that were giving back. Maybe I was including you. But now you are calling me out and that was not necessary.

You are A BC outfitter and a member of the GOABC and plainly have a very biased interest in this issue.

I can easily substantiate any thing I've said or will say. If your intent is to give the Bowsite hunting community a smaller version of what is going on in BC, on a large scale, with a public fight here, then fire away.

10-Jan-15
Ambush Where can I find what you are talking about with the 40% and all? I have only been able to find information about the HAP program which does not match the numbers that you have referenced. Earlier in this post Alpinehunter asked where that number came from and I did not see where that was given…… In another post you mention that some people can't even hunt moose close to home. Most of us have to do this (38 hrs to my last elk hunt, 25+ to antelope, 26 for mule deer) and there have been several more that I have been more than happy to travel to get the opportunity to chase. I realize that you live in a place where you can do hunts that most people will not be able to do in their lifetimes, year after year as many times as you would like to do them. I am only able to chase some of these animals by using an outfitter,

According to the HAP press release that I was able to find, it reads more like the huber of resident hunters in BC has increased approximately 25% in recent years and maybe that has had an affect on what is being done with the tags? It sounds to me like the amount of tags available in general in BC will be changing in the near future if these numbers are right as the number of hunters has significantly increased. Is there something else that you are talking about?

You responded to my post on the Moose board where I asked about an outfitter and added a comment to see it any of the issues being mentioned on your post here would have an affect on my hunt in 2016 (If I were to book it). I know BC is not Quebec, but there have been WAY too many hunters that have lost considerable amounts of money trying to hunt in Canada in the last few years.

I am not trying to argue, just want to read the information for myself.

10-Jan-15
I'll just keep my money in the states.Too many messed up challenges to hunting in Canada.and, I HATE the guided only deal.I could never afford a BC hunt but found this post interesting for those guys that can.We have the same things happening in some of our states with outfitters/landowners.I just hope it stays restricted to those few states as I can easily just avoid applying in them.I'm sure those hunters can feel for you guys.I've only heard bad things about BC and its hunting,but that's 2nd hand imfo.I wish you guys luck,but money talks.

10-Jan-15
Foot Shooter. The HAP or Harvest Allocation Policy was the result of meetings between the BCWF [BC Wildlife Federation] which represented resident hunters, the GOABC, The trappers Association and the provincial government.

In 2007 a allocation agreement was reached and agreed to by all parties. That should be it right? It never got implemented. Well as we now know, no sooner were the tables and chairs put away then the back room dealing started. The result was sprung on resident hunters on December 10th 2014. Quite simply we got screwed over. The GOABC now says it was only a gentleman's "agreement" and not really a "deal".

The HAP is not in force so is irrelevant.

If you want a factual, historical and up to date read on the "deal', by someone who was present and participated then use this link.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?113606-2007-Harvest-Allocation-Policy-Discussion

I would encourage anyone that is interested in hunting in BC to go to the site "Hunting BC". I would also encourage you to sign up as member, because the discussion now involves non-resident draws and how that should look. Input from hunters that have experience with different systems would be helpful.

10-Jan-15
" Arizona is looking to cut NR opportunity now."

How so? I actually think AZ is looking to increase NR opportunity. Not in the form of tags... but the fact is 98% of hunters have NO chance to draw premium units in their lifetime. AZ's proposal on the table now is giving everyone an opportunity to draw those tags.

Besides, the proposal doesn't cut any tags, so Im not sure what you mean by your statement?

10-Jan-15
Compared to anywhere in North America BC has the ultimate hunting with the most species by a country mile and and more opportunity, and extended seasons then anywhere as well. Residents in BC don't really know what our neighbors to the south have to go through to hunt less then 1/2 the species we hunt with OTC tags.

10-Jan-15
Skinner: If my garden has way more produce than my neighbor to the south of me, does that mean I should be OK with someone raiding it? And then telling me it's good for me?!?!

• Sitka Gear