Mathews Inc.
newfoundland moose hunt for Sept 2015!!!
Moose
Contributors to this thread:
HunterTroy 06-Jan-15
Bou'bound 06-Jan-15
mixed bag 06-Jan-15
Cornpone 06-Jan-15
turkeyhunter 06-Jan-15
HunterTroy 06-Jan-15
Fuzzy 06-Jan-15
Fuzzy 06-Jan-15
Russell 06-Jan-15
HunterTroy 06-Jan-15
Fuzzy 06-Jan-15
Tracker 06-Jan-15
Kdog 06-Jan-15
Fuzzy 06-Jan-15
Sage Buffalo 06-Jan-15
4406v 06-Jan-15
bb 06-Jan-15
mrjeffro 06-Jan-15
HunterTroy 06-Jan-15
bb 06-Jan-15
lawdy 06-Jan-15
HunterTroy 06-Jan-15
tommygun 06-Jan-15
tommygun 06-Jan-15
tommygun 06-Jan-15
tommygun 06-Jan-15
tommygun 06-Jan-15
turkeyhunter 06-Jan-15
archer 07-Jan-15
HunterTroy 07-Jan-15
lawdy 07-Jan-15
archer 08-Jan-15
HunterTroy 08-Jan-15
astrovan2487 08-Jan-15
4406v 09-Jan-15
4406v 09-Jan-15
lawdy 09-Jan-15
bb 09-Jan-15
Eferry20 09-Feb-15
Trial153 09-Feb-15
md moose hunter 12-Feb-15
TradbowBob 12-Feb-15
Fuzzy 13-Feb-15
Trial153 13-Feb-15
Elkguide27 10-Apr-15
newfiearcher 01-May-15
06-Jan-15
Amped up, I just booked my first moose hunt in Newfoundland with Bob Effords Hunting adventures for Sept. 20. Although I can also bring a rifle I am really looking to pull it off with a bow. I'm currently shooting a 2013 Hoyt Matrix at 65 lbs and using a easton axis arrow comming in at 435 grains. I'm undecided what broadhead to go with as I currently use mechanicals for my local deer hunting. Any input on equipment choice would be appreciated. I'm also debating whether or not to fly or drive in. I'm comming from long island, New York. Thanks

06-Jan-15
don't even consider flying from NY unless you don't plan on bringing home meat.

The set up is fine with any cut on contact head

06-Jan-15
I would only use a cut on contact broadhead.I like montecs for elk and think they'd do a good job on moose.I also took some large African animals with that broadhead Also recommend you drive.Moose meat is too good to leave most behind,and would be crazy expensive to fly it all back

06-Jan-15
I also agree on drive, don't fly. I drove from western NY the last two years and, although quite a trip for us, wouldn't even consider flying.

Regarding BHs, I use Muzzy Phantoms (COC) for moose and elk. Got one of each with them last fall. Although sharp when new, I re-sharpen to get them shaving sharp.

06-Jan-15
If you fly there is a transport freezer services that will deliver your meat in December, pay by the box. Id recommend deboning it. Just ask the outfitter for their phone number.

06-Jan-15
Thanks for the replies. How long is the ferry ride over?

06-Jan-15
Ferry is about 6 and a half hours

06-Jan-15
the morning ferry boards 9:30 AM, pulls out 11:30 ish, makes landfall/unloads around 6:30 to 7:00 ...evening times are similar.

Book in advance if you want a cabin. Bring Dramamine (I did) and get it OUT of YOUR CAR when you board (I didn't) never been seasick before but 15' plus waves will do it for a mountain-bred boy ....

06-Jan-15
Suggest a night crossing and get a cabin to sleep.

06-Jan-15
Wow, that's a long ferry ride. IM going to have to way my options. Plane seems like it would save me two days and a case of sea sickness but I have to pay to ship meat back.

06-Jan-15
trip over was smooth as silk, I don't think the 15' seas are common

06-Jan-15
I understand weather will cancel the Ferry at times also. My buddy hunted with Effords last year in a bow only zone. Seven guys one moose on the last day of the hunt. My buddy was pleased with the overall service but disappointed in the amount of game seen.

06-Jan-15
Let us know how it goes, good luck!!

06-Jan-15
Newfoundland isn't like the States. The Country is big, the game is big, the views are big, the terrain is challenging, and the cover is dense. The game variety and total numbers are small.

That's why a good outfitter who knows the terrain and the animals is a must.

06-Jan-15
I've done both from Boston.

The drive is super easy but long - especially if driving by yourself. It is very beautiful once you get into Canada.

That said, I will take FLYING every single time until I am retired.

It saves a lot of time and is super easy. I had the freight company ship my meat home with no issues.

You do have the chance of losing something when flying but stuff happens on trips whether driving or flying.

Either way, it's an amazing experience.

06-Jan-15
We had 6-9 footers and they wouldn't launch. I highly recommend the drive and the ferry ride. It's all part of the experience.

If you're going to bow hunt leave the rifle at home. It will force you to hunt a little harder and not take the "easy" way out. I rifle hunted my first time (no regrets) and shot a bull at 40 yds. Our archery only guys went 1 for 2 with the bow hunter killing a 47" 21 point bull!!!

06-Jan-15
The issue with the Ferry in most occasions is the strength of the wind on the Port aux Basques side. They won't risk bringing the boat into the harbor with real strong winds. The entrance to the harbor is very narrow with rocks on either side. The height of the seas are generally not the primary concern. I recall one trip I made when the waves were breaking over the seawall, up onto the highway, crossing the Canso causeway. The winds were upwards of 70 clicks. This was an overnight crossing, they loaded us on the boat but didn't sail until 3:00 the next afternoon when The winds had died to 50 clicks.

06-Jan-15
Good luck on your hunt. I did a caribou/moose hunt with Bob and had a fantastic hunt! Super nice guy

06-Jan-15
What is the approximate cost of the ferry?

06-Jan-15

bb's Link
Here is a link to the Marine Atlantic Website. You can peruse the different options.

I just noticed that the Ferrys are delayed in both directions, I spoke to my friend in St Johns earlier today and he told me they are getting 60 and 70 MPH winds today

"I'm undecided what broadhead to go with as I currently use mechanicals for my local deer hunting. Any input on equipment choice would be appreciated. I'm also debating whether or not to fly or drive in. I'm comming from long island, New York. Thanks"

Just about anything you use on Whitetails will be sufficient. I have never used mechs but for sure any quality fixed blade b/h will do just fine. You don't need exceptionally heavy Broadheads, anything in the 100-125 grain weight is fine. Just make sure they are tuned, and you can hit what you aim for and you'll be OK.

If it were me making the trip from LI, I would drive. If you live in Boston and can fly out of Logan, it's a relatively easy flight otherwise it may take you just as long to fly as drive with layovers and how you get routed.

Depending on where you live, I would take the orient or port Jeff...Ferry and run 95 north to 395 in CT rather than 95/128 route, unless you can get through there late at night. (traffic). I would probably opt to drive to Orient regardless. Ferry gets out in New London which is a lot easier than Bridgeport. traffic wise from New London, you are about 15-16hours from the Ferry in Nova Scotia.

06-Jan-15
I will be going next fall for caribou. I will be hunting with a buddy up there and will be staying in my camper. I will butcher the caribou myself , freeze part of it and can the rest. For the last 35 years we have traveled back and forth by ferry. Make sure to book reservations. The old waiting list deal is gone though if you get to the terminal early, sometimes you can jump on a ferry that isn't fully booked. We did that in July on the way up.

06-Jan-15
Thanks for all the info and links, I appreciate it. It's been a big help.

06-Jan-15
Dad and friend drove...i flew and met at airport at deer lake. Their ride from Michigan was long but they had a great time. wonderful views. Ferry ride was ok.. They did get delayed coming home. We had high winds all week and did shut ferry down for a day. But having two freezer chests full of moose and bou was great. Did our own butchering and vacuum sealed. All the stuff you can bring if you drive.

06-Jan-15

tommygun's embedded Photo

06-Jan-15

06-Jan-15

06-Jan-15

cutting and drinking...took two full days to cut up three moose and a bou

06-Jan-15

turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
There is some great moose and woodland caribou hunting in NF.

07-Jan-15
I was at Efford's drive in Camp the same week you are going in 2009. I drove and brought my gun and bow. Never took the bow out as the guide felt the rut was not started and calling would only work against us. I had a 1X1 and was the only guy in camp. We had a major economic recession then if you can remember. I missed a nice bull (by Newfie standards)on the second day of the hunt. Did not have another bull in shooting range for several days. I decided to take a cow on the next to last day and go home a day early. I was just as interested in meat as antlers and I did not want to go home without it. Effords runs a good operation. You will not be disappointed.

07-Jan-15
We decided on driving ourselves after weighing the options thanks to these posts. I will definitely be upset if the guide recommends I keep the bow in the case. Looks like I will have a 2.5 hour drive after the ferry to meet the outfitter then we will be flying to cochrane pond for camp

07-Jan-15
The round trip for my wife and I driving my Tacoma with our Scamp 13 foot camper in tow was about $500 last summer. We gravel pit camp up to our land and eat a lot of fish. Once there we don't drive much, fish, hike, and I play a couple of gigs.

08-Jan-15
Make sure it's CLEAR that you want a bowhunt. Some guides are more receptive to that. This should be discussed with Bob before you go.

08-Jan-15
Yes Archer, I made it very clear to Bob that I really wanted to get it done with a bow

08-Jan-15
I made the mistake of taking a gun and bow on a Newfoundland moose hunt last year. I didn't want a gun hunt at all and I feel like just bringing the gun ruined any chances of having a decent bow hunt. Never even got an opportunity at a bow shot, I felt like the guides just wanted me to switch to a rifle the whole time to make it a easier hunt. I would recommend taking the ferry, it's a neat experience but get a cabin and go at night. You most likely will get a little sea sick as the water is usually rough. I would never take a plane on a bow hunt, too risky that they might loose your bow or damage it. Also keep in mind you will probably have a lot of meat to haul home. A few other things I wish I'd know before going to Newfoundland and Canada in general, everything costs 30% more, don't forget to get anything before you leave the states because Canada doesn't have many big outdoor stores, and don't expect any kind of good food. Not to hurt anyone's feelings but Canadian food has to be the most tasteless food I've ever had in my life.

09-Jan-15

4406v's embedded Photo
4406v's embedded Photo
I know one thing for sure. The trip will be what you make it. If you want to find things to complain about you'll have plenty. Make the most of it, stay focused, and most of all soak in the experience.

We had a few things that COULD have made our trip less than enjoyable and all 4 of us stayed positive and made the most of our trip.

The exchange rate was even when I was in Newfoundland but ALOT of places charged a premium for using US currency. It's an inconvenience to them and you will PAY for it. We went to the local bank while waiting to load the ferry and exchanged money before leaving port.

The food in our camp was good, some of it real good because we were hungry and I'd have ate the butt out of a skunk (again make the most of it) I'd have eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwich's the whole week if I had to. We were there to hunt not dine. Our guides made some pretty good meals and man do they like turnips (turns out so do I)

Here are the 3 of us who got bulls the largest one was taken by bow. Bob was serious about killing his with a bow and taught the guides how to get it done.

09-Jan-15

4406v's embedded Photo
4406v's embedded Photo
Here's our guide Brian threatening to throw the bow in the lake. Guides know they have their work cut out for them with a bow hunter. They have to hunt twice as hard and then things still may not work out. With gun hunters they have a lot easier time. They work for tips and successful hunters tip better.

I remember one of the things I heard about in Newfoundland was cod tongue. Don't waste your time they're awful!!!

09-Jan-15
The reason the newfies eat a lot of turnips is because they grow well up there. Best turnips in the world. Cod tongue and cod cheeks are elegant in my opinion and if you ever ate a scallop cooked on a fire placed on a half shell with a pad of butter, you would never believe how great it is. The raisen pie up here is to die for and every summer I bring home dozens of molasses cookies. Take a few huntimg. They bring you luck. Old Newfie tradition. Go to the Treasure Chest gift shop and diner in Rocky Harbor, order Joyce's fish cakes and pastries and see how tasty Newfy food is. Incredible.

09-Jan-15
If you like fish, Cod Tongue is great. I've had flipper pie...wasn't too crazy about that.

09-Feb-15
I hunted the rock in 2013 and headed back this fall with Portland Creek hunting g cat arm camp in area 3. We are hunting Sept 27-Oct 3 . Was unsuccessful in 2013 the weather was a wash. My father took a nice 14pt bull and was the only hunter in camp to take a moose. Hopping to get it done in 2015

09-Feb-15
I book a trip with MVO for 2016 for my father and I. We are set for the first week of oct, cant wait!

12-Feb-15
I hunted with Efford's last year and I'm going back this year. I live in Maryland. I drove last year, once ten years ago, and I will drive again in September. I think flying is a great option, but I enjoy taking a couple days to enjoy the scenery in Maine and Canada. Taking the ferry is fun too. Mainly I do it because I want to bring my meat and trophy home with me and not use the airline or shipping service.

12-Feb-15
If you do choose to fly, be aware that there is a trucking service that goes down the east coast that will bring your moose to you. Ask your outfitter.

I would also suggest that you get a good COC broadhead. Moose are more than a big deer.

TBB

13-Feb-15
I was in Newfoundland for 9 days and gained 10 pounds, seriously

13-Feb-15
Dame Fuzzy I was hoping to drop a few pounds there!

10-Apr-15
Wife and I booked with Ironbound, We are driving from Wisconsin. Our hunt starts Oct. 1rst we are both taking our bows. Can't wait to spend a few days in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland before the hunt.. Going to be a great trip!!

01-May-15
I have been hunting Newfoundland by bow for over ten years. Agree with comments to leave the rifle at home if you really want that the experience of taking a moose by bow. Several of my bulls have come on the afternoon of the last day, two in the last hour of the last day. I've come home a few times without meat but that is hunting. Driving to Newfoundland is not an option for me, so I have always flown in and yes getting your equipment there can be a hassle and getting meat and trophies can be a hassle too. A couple of times, I had to wait a day for Air Canada to get my stuff to me. Now, I book jet service into Gander. More cargo space than on the props. That has worked well. On the return, I have used Central Newfoundland Shipping but you have to be near a city (mostly east coast) they make deliveries to for that to work for you.

• Sitka Gear