Mule Power 18-Jan-15
Mr.C 19-Jan-15
NY Bowman 19-Jan-15
Mr.C 20-Jan-15
NY Bowman 20-Jan-15
Mr.C 21-Jan-15
Mr.C 21-Jan-15
07-Jan-15
Im renting a truck from Anchorage to Tacoma Wa! a Ten foot U-Haul box van !!Im buying a chest freezer and a small generator to run it for short periods with the roll up door propped open a bit for venting,( just so the meats cold) the possibility is there to share the cost of renting a bigger truck and buying more freezers and help someone get there meat closer to home,all the drivings on me...My plan is to leave Anchorage on Sept 24 2015 give or take a day and im only going to Tacoma but maybe someone can take the truck from there..I will sale the freezer and gene when i get home or maybe send it with the next person..very open for ideas

MikeC

07-Jan-15
Taking the ferry or heading up through Fairbanls and down the AlCan?

I sure wish someone would take you up on that and drive it further east. I'd pitch in. I'm worried that Alaska Express either won't have space for me or his schedule is running too early.

07-Jan-15
Driving the AlCan ..I want control of my High Priced and hard to get meat and antlers hahaha and I wanna drive the AlCan anyway, I was gonna drive both ways but decided to fly up and save 4 days

MikeC

08-Jan-15
Hmmm. You have me thinking.

08-Jan-15
Ill have the truck and freezer plugged in at my brother inlaws in Anchorage (14miles from the airport) when i get there after the hunt so no need for a generator,Ill just plug in the freezer when we stop for the night at a hotel or RV site.The freezer will run while we are sleeping and get things nice and cold inside,ill rent some packing blankets to wrap the freezer for more insulation and it will stay plenty cold until the next stop..so thats my plan so far and of course its subject to change

Pros&cons welcome for sure ,,have you been there done that? how did it work for you! Thanks MikeC

Mr Mule P HAHAHA if theres a will theres a way :)

08-Jan-15
First of all, I hope everything goes great for you, but a couple of things to think about.

Have you checked into the hoops you may have to jump through when you will have to go through customs with someone else's meat/racks/capes?

What happens if others sign on & YOU don't tag out?

When there's a will there's a way!

08-Jan-15
First, good luck on the hunt. I live in Palmer, North of Anchorage and have driven the AlCan twice and have another trip in the very near horizon. So I speak from experience. Ive driven a pickup and also a moving van.

If you just want to drive the AlCan to say you did it, great, more power to you. But if you are looking for a better way to take care of your meat/horns, driving is the most expensive option. On top of your truck rental ($3K?), gas will run you about $1/gal more in Canada and that truck might get 10-12 mpg. So lets say 2,500 miles or 250 gallonsx$4.00/gal= $1,000 in fuel. Hotels will run you $150 conservatively x 4 nights plus meals at $50/day. You are up to almost $5000. Again, Im assuming your truck is $3K and youre staying in motels and eating something more than a jar of jelly and loaf of bread.

You could drop your horns/hide at a local taxidermist and have him flesh and salt it and ship it to your local taxi for $500 or so(I know a good one). and take your meat as excess baggage.

Its a direct flight to Seattle out of Anchorage so very little chance of lost meat.

You could cut your bill down to $1000 or so for getting your meat and hide home and avoid a 4 day, 10-12 hour a day drive.

As an aside, Im planning the trip for the next 30-60 days, Spokane-Anchorage. My pickup, pulling a trailer at 10mpg so $1000 in fuel, $750 for lodging and $250 for meals so Im at $2,000. I budget high, and then look for good deals. But lodging along the AlCan is expensive. And once you get West of Fort Nelson or East of Tok, the options are limited except for Whitehorse.

Again, Im not trying to discourage you, parts of the drive are amazing, but if you are looking for the "best" way, driving isn't it.

08-Jan-15
Hugh. I'm a realist too and I definitely see your point. But what would you say is the best way to get an entire moose to the lower 48? Whole head rack and skull.... and all of the meat? I'm talking back east too. You can't fly all that. UPS would cost both arms and legs for priority shipping.

If a guy drove his own vehicle up and back the expenses would double which is big coming from Pa. Any ideas there?

08-Jan-15
Mr T roy and Huh thanks those are all Very good points I never considered ! border crossing could be a problem for sure and i dont like problems ...Alaska airline wont haul antlers anymore and only meat that has been professionally processed and properly sealed in the correct box`s(more fees)Era airlines will haul it to Anchorage on a pallet from Bethel so im pretty set on the drive back mostly because i want to see the AlCan and its more time with my Brother..

Mr Hugh its typiclly bologna and cheese on dry bread! you dont need any tools,you just unwrap slap and eat hahaha.... good points and ideas thanks fellas MikeC

08-Jan-15
MP,

Its not cheap no matter how you slice it. But the easiest way is flying. As I mentioned have a local taxidermist flesh and salt your hide and ship it back. Your rack can be split to fit in a smaller box or crate and reduce costs. The meat can be frozen and flown with you in "fish boxes". Basically wax boxes that people use to take their frozen fish home with them. Or you can raid Sportsmen's Warehouse or Cabelas and purchase several coolers and place your meat unfrozen in them and take them as excess baggage(carefully check each airline for restrictions). You would be amazed at what you can fly with. The anchorage airport during salmon season or hunting season is pile after pile or boxes and coolers as hunters and fishermen try to get their meat home. Although Ive never flown with a moose, I would think that you could get most of it in 6 big coolers boned out. You can ship your hunting gear and clothes home USPS.

Driving from PA would be a long hard ride both ways. Ive given you a couple tips, but you may want to visit www.outdoorsdirectory.com, its an Alaska based hunting/fishing forum for suggestions. Or contact an outfitter here just to ask how they advise their clients on how to take it home.

08-Jan-15
I've been on the AK Directory for years. A massive wealth of information and some really great people with tons of experience. Mike Strahan and Larry Bartlett alone are worth asking questions.

Can't split a euro. I'll be taking, with a little luck, the entire skull back. If I have to I'll UPS my gear and bow back. Then I'll fill some coolers, about 6 of them, to the max weight without paying for overage. That's usually about 50 lbs each. The rest I'll probably donate to the Nick Muche Foundation in Fairbanks. :-)

Don't need the hide.

My problem then becomes getting a moose cut and wrapped pretty quick to get into coolers to fly out. From what I've seen Indian Valley and Deltas Meats both take about 2 weeks! Not good.

09-Jan-15
True you can't split a euro, you could leave it here with a local taxi and have them ship it when complete. And yes, you won't get it wrapped and frozen but you could take it cold. I shot a nilgai in Texas many years ago. I bought three coolers and kept rotating ice over the 1/4s to chill it. Just before the flight, I emptied the ice and duct taped the coolers shut and it arrived still cool.

Even if you had it processed here and shipped, you would still come out much cheaper than the drive the original poster mentioned.

Hunting AK is expensive and getting trophies home adds to that cost. I think it shocks some people who plan a DIY hunt to cut costs only to have the budget blown when they try to get the meat home.

09-Jan-15
Here was my plan last Sept on a guided moose hunt (bow)if successful:

Take antlers whole as check-in baggage. Fee was something like $150 But there was a max size. If I shot a trophy size bull (I came within 50 some yards and the winds switched and saved his life) and didn't want to slit the rack, I would cargo ship it home to the lower 48. I was willing to pay the price for a record book moose.

Meat cost something like .89 per pound to process and vacuum sealed. Will last up to 24 months frozen I was told by the meat processor. I was going to have the moose aged for 7-10 before processing, then have 6 ea 50# boxes second day air to my home. The rest I was going to donate to my guide and family.

The total was going to be less than $750 AK express trailer. Plus the gas to meet the truck. I didn't need 6-700 lbs of meat. Even 300, I have plenty to give to friends and neighbors.

This was all figured out before I flew-out for my hunt. Did paperwork with the butcher before fly-out too.

I didn't get a shot, but had a good time trying.

My guide felt bad for me (I guess) and gave me a cooler full of salmon and halibut.

09-Jan-15
Keep posting, slim chance I might draw and be in too

09-Jan-15
Russell, what meat processor did you use, and what city did you ship from/to? Did you include the processing fee in your number that came in cheaper than the AK Express?

I need to run this same calculation, as I'm hoping to bring home a moose in '16. $750 seems like a reasonable deal, considering a cut moose is ~600#, but if I can do it cheaper that's just money in the bank.

Thanks!

09-Jan-15
Baggin,

I never got a shot opportunity. Very close but no cigar.

I have most of my notes at home.

The butcher was in Soldotna "Alaska Seafoods Direct". Cost .89 per pound to process. 300# equates to $267. I was planning on keeping only half of the moose.

At the time, I needed someone to process the meat. I've recently learned how to butcher a deer (thanks to my buddy in NY and my sharp arrows).

You need to figure out the cold truck route. I would have to drive est 1500 miles round trip to get the meat and antlers.

Later on today, I'll update this entry with cost details for air shipment.

09-Jan-15
Awesome, I appreciate that.

Lucky for me, the express drives almost through my backyard. AK is a long way to go to leave most of my trophy there (not that it would go to waste, and charity is a worthy cause, no doubt). I'd still be interested in knowing how the numbers shake out. Seems like most of hunting AK is about the budget for guys like me. I have lots of dreams and big ideas that turn out to be cost prohibitive once it's boiled down to a final-tallied spreadsheet. Frustrating.

09-Jan-15
Fly to AK. Catch hop into the bush. Kill a legal bull. Call cold truck driver and reserve a spot via one of those special bush phones. Spend a few days getting it back for bush-plane pickup. Take lots of pictures as you butcher to prove you got all the meat to the F&G if they suddenly walk out of the bush or come along in their boat. They often weigh the bags and fine you if you're short. Get back to civilization and debone and get meat into workable size. Get it all on the truck. Fly home. Meet the truck and use a bandsaw to finish the butchering.

It sounds damn hard. Bet it is too.

I will pay the fees to get the meat home one way or another. Don't like the idea of taking only the trophy home and donating all the meat.

The Yukon is pretty expensive to ship meat home too. They recommend taking a cooler full or cold box on the airplane as cked luggage. Eight months and counting.

09-Jan-15
rental truck was $1550.00, and the first 2500 miles are free if I read it correctly (my driveway is 2237 miles from Anchorage)and the plan was to drive both ways anyway and put the freezers in the pickup for the ride home, we decided to fly up to save four days travel,and go strait into bethel from Seatac 6 hrs flight give or take a bit...I dont wanna break the bank, but I signed up knowing it was going to be costly and im prepared for that,I was just looking to "maybe" help a fellow hunter out with transporting from Anchorage to the lower 48, or the NW corner of the lower 48 anyway..ive been processing my own game for years and and have all the tools and plan on doing it with Two moose when we get home! A shoulder mount moose would cost alot to ship back from Anchorage "BIG CRATE"="BIG MONEY" the weight dont matter its the size of the box.. so were packing it all back ,,all really good info fellas and Ill use bits a pieces of them for sure in the planning and traveling Thanks again MikeC GO HAWKS!

09-Jan-15
Update regarding my notes.

I flew Delta Airlines. Antlers: $150 as checked luggage. Must weigh 100 lbs or less and 115" or less (L+W+H)

To ship via UPS Ground. Cut antlers in half. $290.

Ship antlers whole via freight (no notes on carrier) $400 est.

Meat: 2nd Day Air. 60# box cost est was $150 (I was going to have 5 boxes sent for a total cost of $750

I was based out of Kenai so getting meat to Anchorage area was another logistical challenge and cost money to move the boxes and to store them until trailer pickup.

Darn, if I lived in WA, driving back looks better and better. (my favorite duty assignment was Ft Lewis) Miss the area, but sure don't miss the traffic nor population density.

09-Jan-15
Mike,

I think the rates have come down since I drove a U-Haul up here in 13. I wish you the best on your trip. When I spoke of shipping the moose rack etc, it was unmounted. Have it fleshed and salted here, split the rack and it will fit in a small crate. Also taxidermy up here is much more expensive than it is in the lower 48 for the most part.

10-Jan-15
mulepower, the hotels out there have big walk in freezers you can use free.We get our meat to hotel,debone and freeze for flight home.Antlers split and shrink wrap.If you want a full euro, then a local taxidermist is probably best Just wish we could debone in the field.This is my plan if I can't get meat on truck.I'll pay the extra baggage fees and bring a few hundred pounds of meat home/antlers.I'll donate extra meat to locals.Think 60lbs is the weight limit per bag with AA.I have so many miles with them I need to call and try and get your flight paid for with them.at that time I'll ask a lot of questions about antlers/meat and cheapest way to get them home.I think theres some kind of known shipper deal I can apply for to reduce costs I did it the way I listed at the top for my caribou and had no problem other then trying to move a ton of gear around the airport alone.Lets pray the truck has room

12-Jan-15
Im scared of flying in big planes ( I know I know YA BIG WIMP). ..Hence wanting to drive both ways at first.. I drove to Ipswitch SD 1242 miles one way to hunt birds so i can do 2337 for a moose or two ...this will be a bit more daunting and but love a good challenge ..

Mr Hugh as far as the mount .we just have to wait and see what comes outta the woods..then ill go from there Thanks guys MikeC

12-Jan-15
mr c, go to my web site for some pics of the drive up. alaskaexpresstrucking.com If a guy can afford the time, it is a drive well worth it. consider taking the cassiar hiway. depending on where you come from. 456 miles of wilderness.

12-Jan-15
great pictures Thanks and we`all have 5 days to get home... we dont have all the plans worked out but I do know I wanna stop at Muncho lake lodge...and i like history so the Highway project history may make me stop a time or two .. its gonna be a great journey altogether MikeC GO HAWKS!

18-Jan-15
if you need any assistance give me a call or pm me

18-Jan-15
You should get the book called The Milepost. It lists every attraction and necessity along the way.

19-Jan-15
good to know MP ill do that, Thanks AlaskaExpress Ill have your # in my pocket Thanks everyone I sure appreciate all the help,the logistics are a little overwhelming at times thats for sure. I sure hope i get it right lol...232 days until I step off the plane sweat N bullits in Bethel LOL

MikeC GO HAWKS

19-Jan-15
I guess I'm with Mixed on this. Moose meat is fine eating, but I'll take a Midwest or even Northeast whitetail any day.

The airlines generally allow you 2 (50#) bags at a reasonable price. The 3rd gets to $150. What I've done in the past for moose, bear, deer, and caribou is send my gear home via the USPS as it doesn't have to be there next day. This cost me about $90-$100. I then buy the wax fish shipping boxes. I debone the meat the best I can and fill the wax fish box with 50#s of meat. As Mixed said, I've never had trouble finding someplace to put the boxes in a freezer to get some cold on it. The meat doesn't have to be frozen solid to make it home in good shape. Most times the time from baggage check-in to home is less than 24 hours. I generally take 3 boxes home for about $300. That's 150#s of meat. Like I said above. I love the meat, but it just gets too expensive to bring it all home. What I've done with the rest of the moose meat is donate it to a local church and then take it as a charitable contribution on my taxes. Ground meat in Alaska is very expensive. Unless you really have to have your animal in the books you can split the rack and take in home as oversized baggage. The last trip I cut up, deboned, and put the caribou meat in the wax box just hours before boarding a plane in Prudhoe Bay. It arrived home in upstate NY in great shape and was excellent eating.

20-Jan-15
NY bowman im going to haul 2 moose and antlers back home in a U haul 10' box van and a freezer or 2...fly n up light driven home heavey lol..

MikeC

20-Jan-15
Mr.C, I sure hope you are right. Send lots of pictures of the two moose.

You must love moose meat as it will be very expensive meat. Which, we all know that if we actually put the cost to the game meat we eat our wife wouldn't let us hunt! :)

Good luck to all! Moose are fun to hunt and eat!

21-Jan-15
I sence doubt Mr hahaha...we`re going with the mind set that we "will" harvest two moose,or why else go(gotta think positive)..... your right though it is very expensive per LBS thats why im bringing it all home, Ill share it with my family,and I have two Brother inlaws in Anchorage that will get a few LBS....and im driving home anyway thats always been the plan so why not bring as much as i can.. MikeC

21-Jan-15
I sence doubt Mr hahaha...we`re going with the mind set that we "will" harvest two moose,or why else go(gotta think positive)..... your right though it is very expensive per LBS thats why im bringing it all home, Ill share it with my family,and I have two Brother inlaws in Anchorage that will get a few LBS....and im driving home anyway thats always been the plan so why not bring as much as i can.. MikeC

• Sitka Gear