Trial153 04-Feb-15
Fuzzy 05-Feb-15
HighLife 05-Feb-15
Fuzzy 06-Feb-15
1Arrow 07-Feb-15
Mad Trapper 09-Feb-15
Toby 09-Feb-15
12-Jan-15
Planning a newfoundland moose hunt for 2016, possibly a combination with bear. I plan to bowhunt, while others in my group will be gun hunting. I've done a good bit of research and I'm leaning towards either Red Indian Lake Outfitters or Mayflower outfitters. I'm hoping someone might be able to provide me some additional information/thoughts on either one of these outfitters. Also, I'd be open to suggestions on some other outfitters as well, just want to make sure I do all my homework before making a decision.

12-Jan-15
I have been with Owls Nest Lodge and Effords Hunting Adventures. Wouldn't hesitate at all to go back with Bob Efford

12-Jan-15
Honestly I wouldn't do a combo if you want to get either or both with a bow. You're extremely lucky to get a moose with a bow in a 6 day hunt, the possibility of getting a bear and moose in 6 days on a hunt is very unlikely. Also, from what I have heard most outfitters in Newfoundland will allow you to take a black bear if you see it while hunting moose and will only charge you a license fee for taking it (I think it's $400?) As long as you don't hunt over bait I think this applies. I lucked out on a moose hunt last year and happened to see a black bear while moose hunting, killed it with a rifle and only paid for the license. Also, keep in mind that you will probably have several days of very bad weather, extreme rain, wind, ect. The hunt I went on was drive in, during rifle season, in a rifle area and I will never do that again. I really wanted a bow hunt and the moose were so spooked from rifle shots I swear they were almost as spooky as white tails. If you really, really want a bow hunt, go fly in to a bow only camp. Sorry for the lengthy post, I'd just hate to see another bowhunter waste the kind of money I did.

12-Jan-15
I second Effords.

12-Jan-15
Ironbound Outiftters. I went with rifle but bowhunters do very well.

Plus if you wanted to you can take multiple bulls.

Helicopter ride in is amazing. Great guides.

I have gone late on my hunts that's why I used rifle. All I will say from what I have seen is go during the rut if you can. Post rut will be difficult, pre rut better and the rut prime time.

If you are thinking of using bow but backup with rifle then you can be more flexible.

There are some really good outfitters.

12-Jan-15
Moose Valley is very solid.

Hunted with them 7 times.

I will PM you a detail account of each hunt.

12-Jan-15
Stay away from Owls Nest. I have heard horror stories about them speaking with hunters on the ferry coming back from hunts. Not just once either, as I have been to NF 3 times and the story is always the same.

12-Jan-15
I'm going with my father at the end of september this year 2015 with Iron Bound Outfitters. I can't wait!!! I'm sticking with my bow only while my father is going to bring both, but he is probably going for two tags. After talking with the outfitter about the possibility of taking a bear I decided not to add it to the hunt because he said the chance of getting a bear or sighting of a bear are just that a Chance.. He usually hunts a different area for his bear hunts. But you always could have that chance.

12-Jan-15
Check out Conne River (Bowsite Sponsor) they have a fly in bow hunting only moose hunt! Good luck! C

12-Jan-15
owls nest has been defunct for about 10 years

13-Jan-15
You might want to check out Tuckamore Lodge. Top notch outfit.

13-Jan-15
Don't go with Victoria Rivers. They are very nice and have good accommodations, but none of the guides when I was there had even hunted with a bow.

I did put a good review of them on the Outfitters Review because they are such nice people, but upon reflection I wouldn't go back.

TBB

13-Jan-15
Fred at Red Indian Lake runs a great operation, you will see lots of moose in his area.

13-Jan-15
Tradbow: It's not Victoria Outfitters that's the problem it's the country. They have very, very few bowhunters. The odds of getting a guide who bowhunts himself is very slim.

This topic has been covered in a few other posts like this.

When it comes to moose hunting in Newfoundland having a bowhunter as a guide is not as important as having someone who knows how to call and really knows the terrain. There are many guys in here who harvest moose in NL with non-bowunting guides.

Matter a fact, my last guide in NL has been almost 100% with bowhunters the last 2 years(even though he doesn't bowhunt). He knows how to call and knows how to put his hunters in positions for a shot.

My point, just ask your outfitter for success rates bowhunting moose. You will find out quickly if they know how to deal with bowhunters.

13-Jan-15

bb's Link
This is TradBow Bobs Outfitter Review.

If the criteria for a successful bow hunt is to have a guide that actually bow hunts himself,then you can rule out NL as a bowhunting destination altogether. You will be hard pressed to find a guide in NL that actually bow hunts himself.

I'm not sure what you expect a guide who hunts with a bow to have done different for you other than taking your bow away from you and shooting the moose for you.

15-Jan-15
Maybe having a guide who bow hunts himself is not as important as having one who understands bowhunting. My guide kept setting me up for 100 yard shots.

I didn't put a lot of that in the review because Dave is such a nice guy. He even offered me a return hunt at a discount, but I would have to use a gun. I decided not to take him up on his generous offer.

If you are looking for an outfitter who has good accommodations, good food and is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, then Victoria is a good place to go. Just be prepared to manage the hunt yourself. There are lots of moose around as evidenced by the tracks we saw. I did get a shot on the last day and missed, my fault not his. But as far as understanding bowhunters, they are not the place to go. Check out some of the other Newfoundland outfitters or go to BSC's website. Newfoundland has the highest density of moose in the world.

TBB

15-Jan-15
TradbowBob: That's ALWAYS the risk when going to NL. Your guide may or may not understand all that's needed to bowhunt so if they don't you need to regroup and get on the same page.

Honestly, when you got to NL unless you are in the rut you will likely only get one or two bow shots.

I am starting to question the statement that, "Newfoundland as the highest moose densities in the world."

That MIGHT be true but this isn't like going to Kansas or another WT, high density deer area and having shots at all kinds of deer. I have been on those type of hunts.

NL Moose hunt can be tough with a RIFLE let alone a bow. The terrain is unforgiving, the weather can be nasty and once pushed Moose can move much faster than you.

If you go during the few weeks they are in the rut you will have a much different experience than those who don't.

ANYONE who is thinking a NL moose hunt is easy should check that idea at the door. Some get lucky but from what I have seen most work their tails off.

15-Jan-15
I'm editing this post, as I don't want to get too involved with a protracted argument based on one guys opinion. Two comments....I know the guide in question, He is a top notch Moose guide with many archery kills under his belt, including my own. He knows what it takes to kill Moose with a bow.

Bob, I'm sure the shots you took at the two Moose were well within your effective range. So it sounds like the guides strategy worked.

15-Jan-15

4406v's embedded Photo
4406v's embedded Photo
Here's how most guides feel about bow hunting. Our guides kept threatening to "throw'em in the lake" Once they realized the bow hunters were not going to use a gun. They got serious and worked to get bulls in range. Rutting bull moose are nothing to mess around with and they know it.

15-Jan-15

4406v's embedded Photo
4406v's embedded Photo
Here is the results from a dedicated bow hunter and guides who were willing to work a little harder. 21 points and 47-1/2" wide this is a great bull for Newfoundland.

I've had it put to me this way "My guide can get you within 100 yds after that it's up to you to close the deal" being a bow hunter you realize that AND take a chance of going home empty handed.

15-Jan-15
"ANYONE who is thinking a NL moose hunt is easy should check that idea at the door. Some get lucky but from what I have seen most work their tails off."

A good outfitter will have no problem getting you a gun kill. If they don't run 90%+ they are screwing up.

Do not equate NFLD rfile success with bow success. they may be spoken of and sold homogenously, but they are a world apart.

15-Jan-15
"Here's how most guides feel about bow hunting. Our guides kept threatening to "throw'em in the lake""

That sentiment isn't reserved for just Newfoundland Guides, You could insert that sentiment almost anywhere. Keep in mind, that guides anywhere see a lot of different hunters over the years, many are not hunters at all, many can't get out of their own way, many can't shoot, many wound animals repeatedly and then the guide gets blamed for their poor performance. Many "bowhunters" profess to be hunters when in fact they are inept spectators. Keep in mind, if guides are jaded about bowhunters, they generally have a reason to be. They aren't miracle workers. Having done a fair bit of guiding myself for Elk, years ago, I can tell you many "bowhunter" stories, many not pretty. It's pretty easy to adopt the attitude of...."Oh no...not another one"

Having said that, I know Bob's guide, He is serious about Moose hunting regardless of the equipment, He will get you a shot, the rest is up to you. Evidently he got Bob, two shots

15-Jan-15
oooohhh my!

16-Jan-15
Look I know that arguing on line with people i will never know personally is a losing effort. What I was trying to say is that there are better outfits that are geared towards bowhunters.

My guide did work hard, but he just never understood the close shot concept. Dave is a very nice guy, he didn't have to offer me a greatly discounted hunt, but he did. But even he told me that if I came back I should bring a gun instead.

I tipped my guide well because he worked hard, and I did miss, that's not his fault. All I am trying to say is that you should be aware that there are outfitters who will take bowhunters, and there are bowhunting outfitters. And there is a world of difference between them. Many guide won't take bowhunters at all, let alone traditional bowhunters.

If I were to return to NL, I would ask more questions than I did the first time. It's hard when you are looking into a trip, because the outfitter is trying to gain you as a customer, and all of the references he provides are his happy face customers. I'm just trying to help out a guy who asked a question, not run Dave into the ground. you would never meet a nicer guy, he worked hard to see that I got onto a moose, but that didn't happen.

So all of that said, I'm out of here. you guys can flame me all you want. Have a good life.

TBB

17-Jan-15
for a guide that didnt understand the short range concept, he got you two shots in range at Moose. Next time you decide to hunt anywhere, during your questioning process, be sure to ask how many shots his guides plan on getting you within long bow range.

You ought to give some more thought as to why the discounted hunt stipulated you hunt with a rifle. Was there any chance the outfitter lost confidence with you abilities with archery gear? If it were me, I wouldnt feel the need to subsidise someones practice. I dont know the reason why, but I can empathize.

17-Jan-15
you won't find 5% of the guides that have ever hunted with a bow there.

....and if you find that 5% know that 80% of them are liars!

all they need to know where the moose live, how to navigate the area and lakes, have a pack and strong back to help haul meat out, know how to call, possess some basiic equipment repair knowledge, own a pair of binos and know how to use them, and that should be fine.

the rest is up to the hunter to get within bow range.

i agree with brian..............when I go on a bowhunt i feel that somewhere on the trip i should get a shot opportunity. i expect that really....that is what i prepare for mentally. if i get two that is two trips worth of opportunity as far as i am concerned. four would be four trips wortth, etc.

anythng over one chance is nothing but gravy.

04-Feb-15
I just a booked a 2016 hunt with MVO first week of oct for my dad and myself...can't wait. Dean has been nothing but helpful with details and answering questions.

05-Feb-15
Interestingly, when I was with Dave at Victoria Outfitters, last September, there was a bowhunter in camp who had just killed a bull moose (two days before I got there) and was very happy with the guide's skill in setting up the shot he took. Both the guides in camp were quite interested in my recurve and shooting techniques and expressed an interesting bowhunting.

I first me Dave at a Bowhunting-only hog hunt in Tennessee, and he sent his bow back to the states with me when I left camp, to have it worked on (not many bow shops on the Island I guess)

My bear setups were tailored to the concerns and needs I expressed to the guides (ie: I am left-handed, I shoot a 64" recurve so need a bit more clearance, I'd not been shooting up to snuff so wanted my bait setups for 18-20 yard shots, max) and they did really well. I also stressed that I wanted to be picked up quite late, after legal shooting light, as my no-sights shooting style allows me to shoot well, right up to the end of legal hours. They were accommodating there, as well.

05-Feb-15
Golly gee there Buddy a little high maintenance aren't ya? ;>

06-Feb-15
Well yeah Dave but if you'd been there, with the beer, I wouldn't'a been so picky...I am, after all "am-beer-dexterous"

07-Feb-15
You won't find anybody who works harder for you than Dean at Moose Valley Outfitters. If you are looking for an honest man in New Foundland he's the man.

09-Feb-15
Just take Charlie with you! I took a nice stag the first day and Charlie helped to pack it out as well!

09-Feb-15
You also can give Mark from BSC a call, he works with some outfitters in Newfoundland that knows how to hunt with an archer. Mark is honest and reliable.

• Sitka Gear