Bou'bound 23-Feb-15
Charlie Rehor 23-Feb-15
bb 23-Feb-15
PAstringking 23-Feb-15
Fuzzy 25-Feb-15
Sage Buffalo 25-Feb-15
Rob in VT 25-Feb-15
23-Feb-15
So there seems to a consensus that a fly in camp is much better than a drive in camp for moose hunting in Newfoundland.

I gather some of the reasons for this are; few locals can get there and animals are less pressured.

But I also wonder if the following is also true; the area you hunt is limited to hiking, boating, or maybe ATV/Argo if they have them. This seems like it would be far less territory to hunt than being able to drive a truck for an hour and then get out and hike/boat/ATV to hunt? Also with the area being limited, wouldn't the animals be conditioned to seeing hunters a certain distance from camp and move further away?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this. I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand if the statement that a fly in camp is in fact better (meaning more less pressured animals and older age class).

Thanks, Rob

23-Feb-15

4406v's embedded Photo
4406v's embedded Photo
Newfoundland is not like any other place I've ever been.

If you're talking a drive in camp there's going to be roads and probably local pressure. Therefore you are probably going to have smaller bulls to choose from. If you're happy with any bull a drive in hunt may be just right.

If you're looking for a little better age class and size of a bull you're going to have a better chance with a fly-in hunt. The guide I hunted with had 14- 5 square mile areas to hunt from. He only opens 7 camps a year allowing bulls to mature and we all saw good bulls. The area we hunted from the air was incredible and we never even heard another airplane the whole week!!!

There are areas in Newfoundland that would be IMPOSSIBLE to get to even IF it was legal for you to be there. The airplane is what opens that kind of territory up. We were only 25 miles from camp (by air) and I'm telling you, you couldn't have hiked there in a week.

You need to go and see for yourself. If it's your first time I highly recommend a fly-in hunt. You won't be sorry.

Here is a view out of the plane about half way to camp. If you can't tell there are no roads in or out of there.

23-Feb-15
Fly in with a reputable operation

23-Feb-15
A fly in is great as long as you fly in to a good spot where others can't access. However if you have an Outfitter with guides that get you in the bush it doesn't matter. As previously said with the right guide it makes little difference. I like the archery only season since the only people you will ever see are picking berries.

You have mentioned this hunt will be with your daughter so make her experience and comfort the focus. Good luck!

23-Feb-15
Here is one thing to consider regarding a Fly in hunt. Many are good. However, Just because it is a fly in hunt doesn't necessarily mean it's inaccessible to others. It may be a long way from your origination point (Lodge) but it also may end up being relatively close to anothers area or areas accessible by locals. There are few places on the island that is so remote that flying in will actually get you into areas totally inaccessible.

I have seen this very thing before. I have seen an outfitters helicopter land on bogs and hunters get out that are within easy access from logging roads. They probably flew a half hour to get there and they are a 20 minute walk from a logging road with relatively easy access. I'm not saying this is always the case, but it happens more often than people realize. So be careful when booking with an outfitter that "flys in"

Honestly, I wouldn't use flying in to an area to hunt as the criteria to choose a particular outfitter. You can get into equally good areas without the use of a plane and the hunt will typically be less money. It just depends on the outfitter.

23-Feb-15
Fly in with a reputable outfitter but remember... There won't be any just driving up to your moose when it's dead. In most good areas that are not accessible to others.., you will need to pack out your moose.

25-Feb-15
well there went your concensus ;)

25-Feb-15

Sage Buffalo's embedded Photo
Sage Buffalo's embedded Photo
PAstringking: Unless your outfitter, like mine, has a helicopter to carry it out! I watched them from a mile or so out and took pics as they came an got it. There were some caribou bedded above the kill site. So amazing.

25-Feb-15
Cool pic Sage and nice bull!

• Sitka Gear