Pete In Fairbanks 04-Mar-15
Rocky D 04-Mar-15
cityhunter 05-Mar-15
chasintheslam 05-Mar-15
NY Bowman 05-Mar-15
Rick M 05-Mar-15
mrelite 05-Mar-15
04-Mar-15
Ill be moving to Alaska with military this year was wondering if anyone has done a diy archery moose hunt without the use of flying into an area. I just don't have it in the budget nor would I want to spend that kinda money personally.

04-Mar-15
they have tags just for you guys at the base in fairbanks IIRC

04-Mar-15
best of luck keep us posted thanks for your service

04-Mar-15
I mean like right on the base..probly just walk out your front door..good luck MikeC

04-Mar-15
Thanks guys

04-Mar-15
You are not going to be a resident until a year.

04-Mar-15
i will get military resident license after one year then I will be able to hunt dalls and all that stuff iv already called and asked

04-Mar-15
http://www.eielson.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123131419

04-Mar-15
You can DIY hunt lots of places along the road system, including a few on public land where the military controls access and you will not need a regular NR hunting license.

But your chances of actually taking a moose will increase dramatically if you fly in.

Which base will you be assigned to?

04-Mar-15
pete thank you for the info, I have had a lot tell me flying in is the best but I just like the challenge of walking in. Ill be at ft wainwright

04-Mar-15
Chasin, I stand corrected you can hunt big game on military And open to hunting. Rules changed since I was there

I've killed moose on Wainwright proper and Yukon training area.

Learn to call most do not use that tactic on the YTA.

Good luck

04-Mar-15
ROCKY Thanks bud ill start tinkering with calling never even thought to try calling so thanks man

04-Mar-15
You're supposed to be protecting us from a Russian invasion, not hunting moose! How are we supposed to sleep at night knowing you are up there goofing around and leaving us all so vulnerable?? Ah well, guess that's what you get with all these defense spending cuts. LOL!

Seriously, I was you 30 years ago, but there was no internet for me to ask the very same question:) Thanks for your service....and good luck on the moose!

04-Mar-15
LOL thank you man and thank you for the support

04-Mar-15
I'm hoping to shoot one in my yard this year.

04-Mar-15
lol Nick that would be cool, we will have to do a hunt or something when I get up there

04-Mar-15
Chasin, I stepped on fort Richardson Dec 77.

Southfarm where were you?

04-Mar-15
Yes, Nick will take good care of you. I taught him a lot of what he learned on his meteoric rise to Alaska hunting greatness.

There is good moose hunting in the Yukon Training Area. You can drive/walk to much of it. Most of your competition there is with military personnel with little or no moose hunting experience.

That is where I killed my first moose when I was a "rat-ass infantry PFC" at Ft. WW.

04-Mar-15
Pete, oh how long ago was that?

05-Mar-15
u guys in Ak have all the fun !

05-Mar-15
Fellow infantry brother thank you for your service

05-Mar-15
Pete is my hunting Alaska teacher too...and that was 18 years and 9 DIY trips ago. Wow, Pete you were old when we first met. I'm surprised you're still verticle.

05-Mar-15
NY Bowman, based on your moose pics I would say Pete did a good job! He helped me and Dj out a bunch as well. Anything he says is worth paying close attention to.

Chasin, if Pete and Nick are giving you pointers you will be in good hands.

05-Mar-15
Pete sure gets around for being so old!!! LOL

• Sitka Gear