Wombat 27-Mar-15
sfiremedic 27-Mar-15
greg simon 27-Mar-15
Outdoorsdude 27-Mar-15
Pete In Fairbanks 27-Mar-15
bentstick 27-Mar-15
PAstringking 27-Mar-15
26-Mar-15
Hey guys i have a pretty good idea of what i am packing on my hunt, but last night i got to thinking about what i need to keep in my pack when out on the horse and not just leave it in camp. I want my daypack as light as possible. Anyone have a list of what you actually keep in your pack and not just leave in camp? This is a guided horseback hunt out of a base camp. here is what i am thinking please add some if you have ideas -extra release -Havalon -Second Knife -Lighter -Dloop material -Parachord -first aid kit -Puffy Jacket -Rain Jacket -Camera -Tripod -Gloves -leatherman tool -Watter bottle

26-Mar-15

jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
Chapstick Some kind of hat that will protect your ears if you ride while it's sleeting. There's a reason they wear cowboy hats. A pull over Sitka beanie cap will work. Good luck, Have fun !!

26-Mar-15
If it's a guided hunt the guide should be able to tell you what he'll be carrying and what you'll need to bring for yourself. I'd say give them a call and ask...

27-Mar-15
Toilet paper or baby wipes. Never a bad idea.

27-Mar-15
It's ironic that even though you have a 900-pound animal to do the heavy lifting, you need to think like an ultra-light backpacker (IMO) ... I don't like being off-balance on a horse, and it doesn't take much.

There's a reason that horses are used for balance training for handicapped folks, stroke victims, etc. It's because it's a little tough to balance up there.

This is doubly-true for someone with less riding experience. If you are not a horseman to begin with, minimize your pack like one of the gram-counters. You'll be much more comfortable, and safe.

Saddle bags are a great thing.

27-Mar-15
I recommend a radio tracking device that will help locate the horse after it dumps you and takes off. Not to disparage your riding skills, I just hate horses.

27-Mar-15
I rode a horse to a spot once, tied him up and went to look around a bit in a new area. i made several mistakes that day. I left my daypack by the horse as I was not going far. I was screwed when fog rolled in, it started raining and I got turned around. I didn't have anything except my bow... My first thought was "I'm a dumbass"... several hours later i luckily stumbled on to my horse. Lesson Learned. The experience left me shaken.

Now I'm NEVER more than arms reach from my pack and the contents of my pack include everything I need to survive. Water, food, GPS, compass, map, rain gear, lighter, extra release, head lamp, 2nd knife, extra batteries.

27-Mar-15
You are getting good advice. Do Not put essentials in saddle bags! The reason should be obvious. No horse, no gear!

27-Mar-15
My top recommendation is; get a backpack that sits high on your back - ie. stays off the cantle or worse, skirt!

27-Mar-15
Saddle bags are great, but they tend to become useless when you horse is tied at the bottom of the mountain or, perish the thought, you get bucked off or come back and horse went back to camp or the trailhead without you.

Also, loading up saddle bags so that you put added weight or something that "flaps" on a horses kidneys can be a recipe for disappointment.

A daypack that rides high, or a decent fanny pack will insure that these problems don't complicate your adventure.

Pete

27-Mar-15
If you strap your bow to your daypack make sure that the bottom cam won't hit the horse in the butt when you're on a step downhill. Horses don't like that. Also every buck the horse makes will goose it again, so the fun continues for a while.

27-Mar-15
Trash bags.... Very light and can come in handy in many many situations!!

Sunglasses.... Even if it's not really sunny it can help protect your eyes when riding through the trees.

• Sitka Gear