caribouken 21-Apr-15
CurveBow 21-Apr-15
caribouken 21-Apr-15
turkeyhunter 21-Apr-15
CurveBow 22-Apr-15
turkeyhunter 22-Apr-15
TMA1010 22-Apr-15
02-Apr-15
i'm a guide from newfoundland, I guides up on the northern peninsula. If u flying into a camp u might miss a day or two from hunting if weather isn't good or u might be stuck in the camp for couple of days before getting out. moose starts rut around the middle of September. The best of the rut is the last week of September or first week of October. most of the big bulls is done with their cows an their looking for more cows. if any questions on what type of clothes or other question leave a message

04-Apr-15
I'll be hunting moose in Newfoundland this September. Be staying at the Tuckamore Lodge. I'm a first time moose hunter. What type of boots would you suggest?

05-Apr-15
tall

06-Apr-15
Well fitting rubber. I wore the lacrosse aeroheads and they worked great.

06-Apr-15
lacross rubbers

11-Apr-15
MAKE SURE YOU ARE WEARING FLEECE!!!! And rubber boots (lightweight) S.C Mercer, in Sept ya boots don't have to be heavily insulated.

15-Apr-15
Thanks for the tip on the LaCrosse boots. I have been needing some and just ordered a pair.

20-Apr-15
Questions:

How was the 2014-2015 winter that just ended (or is ending!)?

Was there any severe affect on the moose population?

For a hunt starting in later October (rifle), what temperatures might be expected?

Thanks,

>>>>-------->

21-Apr-15
H CurveBow, Headed back with my hunting buddy for my sixth trip to the Rock...rifle. Contact with one of the guides indicated 30" of ice in the lake with up to 4' of snow in the woods one week ago. They have had a winter. All of my trips have been the last week in Oct. Expect rain, cold, wet conditions. Two bulls came to the calls on these hunts; others were taken by spot and stalk. One hunt was in 15+ inches of heavy wet snow. Slows moose movement some but they pick up a day or so later. If driving leave yourself extra time going and coming back...ferry. Moose are feeding and bedding differently than when in the rut. Plan to stay warm and dry whatever!

21-Apr-15
Caribouken - thanks for the update & advice. Is there a difference across NL in terms of winter severity?

I will bring my Sitka Gear heavy duty stuff - Kelvin and Fanatic! As well as Downpour raingear....

>>>>-------->

21-Apr-15
A lot depends on elevation and proximity to the southern coast. From the snowfall and temps this winter in NNY and Northern NE states it might be expected there would have been a good winter in NL this past one. Moose know how to handle such. Locals in NL go to Florida.

21-Apr-15

turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
This was today in Newfoundland. Pretty bad you have to bend down to see in the window. 10 feet snow for sure.

22-Apr-15
Holy $**t, that's a lot of snow!

>>>>-------->

22-Apr-15
FYI.......For those of you who are not aware, Department of Environment made some big decisions last week that affect all of you. These decisions include: 1) 50% increase in the cost of all non-resident licenses effective April 1, 2015 (In effect now for this year) a. Non-Resident Moose License now cost $502 + HST b. Non-Resident Caribou License now cost $675 + HST c. Non-Resident Black Bear $150 + HST

22-Apr-15
turkeyhunter -

I just got word on the increase from Dean over at MVO this week - it's probably my fault since I decided to go to Newfoundland this year...

I consider myself frugal but the extra cost isn't that significant in the grand scheme of things. It's one of those things that are out of my control so it's not worth getting worked up about. It's the way of the world - I bet in 10 years people will think that the $502 moose license was cheap.

• Sitka Gear