Moose
Contributors to this thread:
LIBuck 30-Apr-15
ollie 30-Apr-15
LIBuck 30-Apr-15
LIBuck 30-Apr-15
Ace 30-Apr-15
30-Apr-15
quick question for the collective wisdom of the crowd... i got an email from VT about applying online for the moose permit. there was also a link where you could check your bonus points. i took this to mean that if you have applied for X years in a row, you have X bonus points, and this year your name will be put in the hat X+1 times.

however, when i looked up my name to check my points i saw the below:

If you apply or have already applied for a Moose Lottery Application in 2015, you will accrue an additional Bonus Point described below:

No Regular Moose Lottery Bonus Points to accrue. No Archery Moose Lottery Bonus Points to accrue. No Veteran Bonus Points to accrue. Year Applied 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

This will be my 7th year, so I would think that I had 6 bonus points in the bank, but it says no points.

am I thinking about this the wrong way?

thanks for your insight

30-Apr-15
This is the reason I stopped applying for a moose tag in Vermont...there is no preference or bonus given based on how many years you have been applying unlike Maine where you do get extra chances in the draw based on how many years you have applied.

30-Apr-15
thanks ollie - what you say seems to be at odds with what the VT website says however...

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/additional_resources/Hunting_and_Trapping/big_game/2014_Moose_Hunt_Guidebook.pdf

Lottery Points 7.1 A person may accumulate one additional chance, or “bonus point” to win the lottery for each consecutive year that person legally submits and provides the fee for an application but is not selected to receive a permit. 7.2 Applicants may accumulate up to one bonus point per year in each of the two separate lotteries (archery and regular) provided a complete application is submitted. 7.3 Applicants may elect to accrue a bonus point without entering the moose hunt lottery by submitting a completed application and fee and indicating at the appropriate place on the application form that they do not wish to be entered in the lottery for the current calendar year. 7.4 To accrue bonus points, a person must provide a complete application for the given year’s lottery for which the person wishes to receive a permit (archery or regular ). All bonus points in both lotteries are lost upon receipt of a valid pe rmit or failure to provide a complete application for each designated lottery – a person may continue to accrue bonus points in one lottery, even if he or she fails to provide a valid application for the other

30-Apr-15
Just spoke with VT F&G.

They said they have been getting calls b/c there is a glitch with the lookup system, and they confirmed I do have points accrued for the last several years.

Apparently if you have applied for X years in a row you should have X-1 points as of now, and if you apply this year you will go into the draw with X points from your previous years, and 1 point from this year.

if anyone else has tried the lookup and been told they have no points i suggest you call VT F&G and make sure you're all set b/c they confirmed my full name vs possible nicknames and middle initials etc...

or maybe you shouldn't confirm... that way i'll have a better chance of getting picked if there is a real problem with the system!!!

good luck to all

30-Apr-15

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
Matt, it says you can call them to straighten it out: 802-828-1190.

• Sitka Gear