CurveBow 21-May-15
Chip T. 21-May-15
bb 21-May-15
Sage Buffalo 21-May-15
Nick Muche 21-May-15
Sage Buffalo 21-May-15
CurveBow 28-May-15
18-May-15
I'm headed to Newfoundland for a hunt from October 25 to October 30 with 2 friends, all of us are newbie moose hunters with lots of whitetail experience and some elk hunting experience. We will have guides and this will be a gun hunt. What tactics should we be aware of? From what I've read, the rut will be mostly over at this time.

Also, what should we prepare for regarding the weather? Do Newfie moose migrate to wintering areas?

>>>>---thanks!---->

18-May-15
Are you going drive in or fly-in? That makes a difference on what I would reco.

18-May-15
They don't migrate. Weather can be very warm or it can be cold with snow. or cold in mornings and warmer during the day I have been there at the end of Oct in short sleeve shirts. Best bet is to pay attention to your guides, they will know where known food sources are, travel routes etc. A lot of sitting and waiting, they can still be callable at that time of year. Still hunting works well.

18-May-15
That should be right at the start to the middle of the second rut. The middle of the first rut usually Sept 26-29 and the second rut is usually the week before to the week after Halloween.

18-May-15
Walk long distances. Be in shape!

19-May-15
Sage - we are doing a drive I hunt. Will get to the particular camp either by truck of the outfitters tracked vehicle.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

>>>>-------->

19-May-15

Sage Buffalo's embedded Photo
Since you are doing drive in and sounds like your first trip. Shoot the first decent bull you see because it could be your last.

NL isn't the fish in a barrel many make it out to be. If you are there during the peak of the rut you are golden. Outside of the rut for a nice bull can be tough. Lots of guys shoot lots of moose but they are cows or small bulls.

There are stories of guys walking out from camp and shooting a moose 5 mins into hunt. I and many other have had very different experiences. My moose hunts have been harder than elk hunts and I used rifle both trips.

One of my hunts was with a BS sponsor who runs a great drive-in camp and another was a helicopter late season hunt which was amazing but still lots of work.

My #1 advice for anyone going to NL (after telling them to enjoy the scenery because it's nothing like most people have seen) is expect a tough hunt with lots of hiking through bogs which basically doubles the distance actually travelled. Many days I have hiked 5 miles which translates into about 10!

It's an amazing trip and you will love it! My first trip I made the mistake of thinking it was going to be easy and got schooled quickly.

19-May-15

Picture of heli picking up meat...

19-May-15

Cheesey grin - my guide is the one on the bottom! Great guide!

19-May-15
Sage - great pictures and advice - Thanks!

Did you ever use or need waders or are 18" Lacrosse OK?

One of my friends who is going asked whether a spotting scope is a needed piece of equipment?

>>>>-------->

19-May-15
I would bring hip waders and 18"ers - ask your guide he should know. When I went on my drive in I def needed hip waders and my fly in 18" were just fine.

If you have a spotting scope and you have a place to get high it's worth it. My guide had one and we looked at my moose from MILES away. Something difficult to do with binocs.

Make sure you bring moleskin or something similar. Nothing worse that having hurt feet.

Here's a video of my hunt - not much action as I shot mine the first day and hunted bear/helped the other guy in camp get his moose. It's a great video on what type of terrain you could see.

You will see how far we hiked to get to my moose in a short period of time. Being in shape is important.

BTW Tuckamore sucks just so you know. That's where the snow packs down the trees and they interlock and it's bushwacking at its finest!!!!

19-May-15
I wouldn't bring hip boots.

19-May-15
Most of the guides don't hunt their bull until later in the season so just have your guide, guide! Have a great trip! C

19-May-15
Curvebow,

Returning to The Rock for my 6th trip and my buddy and I will begin the hunt on Nov. 2nd. It will be his 5th. I have had my guide call in two bulls on the first day of the hunt. The first came tearing in at 25 yds. looking to whip the bull after his lady. Last fall's bull hung up about 150 yards out as there was a gut pile in his path that got his attention. I have taken four bulls and one cow. We are meat hunting with antler nice but not important. Your guide may well hunt the clear cuts if there as they will be feeding early in the am. If lake then they will be in open areas getting on fat for winter. Your guide will know how to get you onto the animals...they hunt there! All of our hunts have been the last week of Oct. and have been 1 x 1 which is nice as the outfitter gets a few clients into camp for late in the season and he and his guides get some extra $$$. Only three hunters in camp the last two weeks of hunting for this outfitter. Hippers might be ok if you might be hun ting out of a boat. Do take goodies to deal with blisters! If rains/snows the moose will move after the storms pass. Hunt hard and enjoy the Rock.

20-May-15
Thanks again bb, Charie & Ken for the advice!

We are looking forward to the adventure and experience. Horns & meat will be the icing on the cake.

>>>>-------->

20-May-15
I have no clue where you are going moose hunting but I have never went moose hunting in hip boots! Also hip boots are very noisy. Like I tell all my clients no matter what time of year MAKE SURE YOUR OUTER LAYER IS FLEECE, even more importantly seeing your hunt is a little late in the year. Sound is the number 1 thing that ruins a moose hunt, moose depend on it nearly as much as their sense of smell. Rain gear also would be a good idea. And as Mr Rehor said," just have your guide, guide!"

20-May-15
Newfielander,

Been hunting for over sixty years with fleece.....wool! Seems to have has a fatal effect on many whitetails, caribou, and five of your moose! I have never owned a pair of hip boots but, twice on the Rock as we winched a moose to the boat, I did wish I had a pair on. Your water seems colder there in late Oct.!

20-May-15
Newfie: Like I said ask your guide. My first hunt we had to cross rivers and several bogs that were thigh deep. Not sure how you are crossing those with 18" boots.

I will also say make sure you watch where you are stepping! Some of those innocent holes can be quite the surprise!

Best thing to do is ask your outfitter what type of terrain you are hunting. Watch my video and see how many different types of terrain there are.

20-May-15
Yes I agree to have a pair of hip boots to get in and out of a boat if need be but not hunt in them. If you have to cross several rivers and several thigh deep bogs, you are hunting in the wrong area.

21-May-15
Thanks again for the advice! We will verify with the outfitter what type of terrain we will be hunting. I don't think boats are involved and an earlier list of gear to bring included tall rubber boots; hence my references to 18" Lacrosse. These are my go-to whitetail hunting boots, so I have several pairs.

We are psyched for the trip, to say the least! :)

>>>>-------->

21-May-15
listen to your guide very carefully and make sure you understand what he says. Some of the guys have very thick accents and you may not completely understand what he is saying. My first guide was named Fish and I struggled for a couple of days listening to him. My usual response was sure or sounds good to me when he could have been saying just about anything. Regardless have a great time as it is a great place to visit and hunt. Knee high rubber boots will suffice.

21-May-15
Here is a good piece of advice, I have been hunting Newfoundland since 89, just a about every year, sometimes twice a year. If you find yourself in thigh deep water on a bog, worry less about what you have on your feet and more about how the f**ck you're going to get off that bog.:) Never been in a situation where I needed boots taller than 18" If you are in boats that can't get you into less than 18" of water, you're in the wrong boat

21-May-15
BB: Haha! That is so true. It's why I don't think I'll go back to that area. My heli-trip was much easier (relatively) and so remote I will never do it any other way.

21-May-15
Great info, looking forward to 2017 with Ironbound.

21-May-15
Nick are you going with Ironbound?

Watch my video if you already haven't. Will give you an idea of what you have to look forward to.

28-May-15
Many thanks to all who have contributed experience & advice!

>>>>-------->

• Sitka Gear