Gene 16-Jul-15
Ace 16-Jul-15
Gene 17-Jul-15
Ace 17-Jul-15
bigbuck 17-Jul-15
mixed bag 17-Jul-15
ridgerunnerron 18-Jul-15
21-Jun-15
The drawing date for NH is June 26 and VT is July 16. I was drawn as an alternate in NH a few years ago but my number never came up. With 12 bonus points in NH, maybe this will be my year.

21-Jun-15
I too was drawn as an alternate for New Hampshire a couple years ago, but at around number 100, I had no chance.

Like you, hopefully, this year with 22 points, we will have a chance. That is 22 points between my wife and I. That is one of the beauties of the new England moose drawings, the alternate hunters. Granted, if my wife pulls the tag, she will actually hunt and be the intended one to pull the trigger, but it is nice being able to go along - which I go along on every hunt she has - but in this case, I can actually, help her in case a problem arises.

I would really like for her to draw a tag as I have been lucky enough to draw two moose tags and hunt in British Columbia. So I have taken three moose. My wife went along on my hunt in Vermont, she hunted the first day with me, but because she was going to have to return home the second day, she was at the cabin preparing for her flight when I shot my bull, so she wasn't able to share that experience with me. But she was there immediately afterward, to help with pictures, skinning, and the ride out.

Good luck to everyone.

21-Jun-15
I put in for NH for first time, not expecting much...

21-Jun-15
Point only for me this year. Good luck guys.

21-Jun-15
At 11 or 12 NH points your odds come out to around 1/4 of 1% for a bull tag after the quota drops. I calculated when I drew in 2012 with similar #. That's why I opted out starting over at zero.

21-Jun-15
Wow Zim, that is pretty danged depressing. And I fully agree with you about not applying anymore, as a matter of fact, I drew Vermont, the first year I applied, then I had a three year wait before I could apply again. That was in 08, I should have probably kept my resolve, but just couldn't help it, so I applied this year, for the first time since drawing. I probably should have kept my money - I was already way ahead of the curve. The odds of drawing two tags in a lifetime are probably even worse than those you mention.

22-Jun-15
Todd, Ya quit while ahead. I'm not a big moose hunter anyway, but I am continuing to apply in Maine with 15. If I never draw again I'm happy I drew somewhere and got a nice bull too. Great centerpiece if I ever get a house big enough for a game room.

I got a great elk in Nevada too, but won't bother to try again there after my 10 year waiting period in 2017. Same thing just lotto ball odds with thousands squaring points ahead in line.

22-Jun-15
I bird hunt every year in NH and VT with my Brittanies and know some areas really well. Also, living in CT, it's no big deal for me to go to either state so I will keep on applying.

22-Jun-15
Another reason I chose not to apply is I'm being held hostage in enough states that bend over hunters that are building points. It's the newest game in town, taking advantage of customers who have a vested interest. Only a matter of time in VT.

26-Jun-15

Ace's Link
They just drew the 105 New Hampshire permits.

89 Residents, 16 Nonresidents. They did not call my name. Maybe next year.

26-Jun-15
No results on that link yet Ace. I wasnt able to listen to the live stream of the drawing though

26-Jun-15
Ace - I didn't get it either on my first try... oh well...

27-Jun-15

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
The NH results are posted on the Fish and Game site. No tag for me again and I am not on the alternate list either. I did get drawn as an alternate a few years ago but as number 36 there was no chance of getting the tag. I think 8 or 9 alternates did get tags that year. Let's see what happens in the VT. draw on July 16.

27-Jun-15
I have no idea how that turkey picture came up. I was trying to post a photo from Zone A1 in NH.

27-Jun-15
Another year and no tag,not that I was expecting one with 6 points

27-Jun-15
The moose population here in NH has been ravaged by ticks, and is down to about 1/3 of what it was just a few years ago. I would not be surprised if they shut it down completely.

It use to be about 80% success, now it is down to about 30% or so. Maybe they should shut it down.

TBB

27-Jun-15

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo

27-Jun-15
The photo above is a drop we picked up while bird hunting in NH (Zone A1) 2 years ago. I wish I had taken the photo with something else in it for size reference. Those split main beams are 34 inches and 25inches long. We also found a skeleton of a bull that had dropped his rack before dying and maybe was a victim of winter tick. TBB - The population is in no doubt going down but we are still seeing moose sign where we bird hunt in A1 and A2. Maybe the state will close it down at some point. Mixedbag - I had 11 bonus points going into this years lottery and it is a lottery after all. Now I will have 12 points and the number of tags keeps going down.

28-Jun-15
Nothing for me again,thats it for me this year not in VT

02-Jul-15

Zim1's embedded Photo
Zim1's embedded Photo
Gosh, every time I read these dismal moose prospects I look at my wall and am more appreciative I at least got to go one time. Especially in NH where tags and critters seem to be drying up fast.

02-Jul-15
Here's my son's VT bull, being extracted by the traditional New England method.

At that time, the herds were at an all-time peak. So much so, that the timber companies were actually re-imbursing hunters 100% of the cost of hiring a horse guy to pull out their Moose. So we did.

Sadly, with the herds in sharp decline, hopes for the rest of us to get a turn are becoming slim.

03-Jul-15
Sticksender - Great photo! I lived in NH in the late 70's and my neighbor had a Draft horse that he used for logging. An oldtime skidder that didn't tear things up.

03-Jul-15
how many tags are being issued in vt this year??I only went in for archery again so very slim odds.Just don't know if I'll ever draw any NE tags with the decline going on now.Cheap enough to keep trying though

03-Jul-15
VT is issuing 160 Antlered Moose Tags, and 65 Either sex in the regular drawing and 40 Archery only tags. They draw on July 16.

04-Jul-15
Thanks,I wonder what that puts my odds at,lol.ThinkI'll buy a powerball ticket on the 16th and see if I can hit either

05-Jul-15
No tag for me either. It must be close to 20 yrs for me

Bill v

05-Jul-15
Guys like Bill V that drew a Rocky tag last year should have to wait at least a few more years for a moose tag! :-)

16-Jul-15
Vermont draws today I think.This will be the year I draw an archery tag since I'll be deer hunting in Wy

16-Jul-15

Ace's Link
They are reading them now, live on the radio. Said they will post them by the end of business today.

16-Jul-15
No tag for me or anyone I know.

16-Jul-15
I was the lucky NR who drew an Archery tag for zone E1!

This will be my second Moose hunt in Vermont, last one was 7 Years ago.

16-Jul-15
whats your secret nehunter? 2 tags for a non-res is just crazy odds.

i am 0 for 8 now as a non-res... jealous you are 2 for the last 7!

16-Jul-15
Well, no tag for me or my hunting partner. It looks like we will be doing some grouse and fall turkey hunting in VT anyway and deer also. My next hunt lottery is the PA elk drawing which I now have 12 preference points going into this years drawing. Maybe........ Congrats nehunter - I'm glad to see a Ct Bowsiter has drawn a tag. We will be following your hunt!

16-Jul-15
40 Archery permits issued, 37 to residents, 3 to non-residents, that doesn't sound like 10% to me. Non-residents got shorted by 1 tag.

17-Jul-15
Fuzzy math!!!!!

17-Jul-15
I think they screwed the non-residents by only giving us 7.5% of the tags, and rewarded the Residents with an extra tag.

I'm still ineligible since I drew in 2013, so I didn't get hosed personally, but ... I think that sucks.

17-Jul-15

bigbuck's embedded Photo
bigbuck's embedded Photo
wow!spent all this past week doing some early scouting up in E1 E2 and D2 with my wife.she took this picture of a young bull saw some pretty good sign along with this bull only to get home and found my wife has drawn a tag regular season tag in M&O which is where we live,she was hoping for a archery tag but was happy to get any tag, have seen some great bulls in this zone throughout the years,we had done some early scouting in this zone 2 weeks ago and saw some really great sign.I like Ace will be regulated to Guide duty as I had drawn a tag last year in J1.

17-Jul-15
no love here

18-Jul-15
Congrats to the wife Mark. No tag here.

• Sitka Gear