jtelarkin08 27-Nov-15
t-roy 27-Nov-15
carcus 27-Nov-15
Charlie Rehor 27-Nov-15
Bear Track 27-Nov-15
Foot Shooter 27-Nov-15
Kurt 27-Nov-15
26-Nov-15
So I am setup for a Moose hunt next September and I am really looking at everything gear wise to make sure I have it all covered.

Current setup is GT velocity XT 300 with 50 grain insert and 100 grain terminal T broadhead. Total weight is right at 450 grains. These are being pushed by a CST or a Nitrum Turbo and I get pretty close to 300 fps with this setup.

I believe that this should be plenty for a Moose, but this past season I had a few more break on large game then I would have expected. So I am questioning the Velocity arrow as it has a slightly thinner shaft wall than the hunter series arrows.

I have been toying with the Kinetic Kaos but I am not really liking the half outsert and collar system. I am not really wanting to go with the FMJ types from previous history with ACC shafts (all were great but wanting to stay carbon this time). I like the idea of the Maxima Reds, but I am not sure if I would see much difference in these from the velocity if I get them setup close to 450 grains.

Anyone with some moose knowledge able to share their thoughts?

26-Nov-15
No need to change unless you just want to fiddle around.

27-Nov-15

jtelarkin08's embedded Photo
jtelarkin08's embedded Photo
I think you would be fine but i would go with a slightly thicker shaft. Pro hunter or easton axis. My setup was 500 grains.. easton Axis 300 50 grain brass insert 125 grain GK silver flame.. I got a double lung complete pass through at 64 yards in September on this bull in BC..

27-Nov-15

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I used Maxima Red 350s with 100 grain Wasp Boss broad heads. They worked fine.The finished weight was somewhere around 405 grains I believe. Pulling 70 lbs, no idea on arrow speed.Only took five shots! (long story)

Seriously though, my arrow setup worked fine, but next Fall when I go back to Alaska for moose again, I'm probably going to use a heavier weight broad head or a weighted insert.

Good luck Bill & looking forward to the story!

27-Nov-15

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
My finished arrow weight is 480 grains, fmj, exodus broadhead, I've killed 3 moose and 4 elk with this, this falls was a 70 yard pass through taking out ribs. Not sure of the speed but Im shooting a 70 pound bowtech rpm 360 at 28"s, so probably around 280-290fps

Your good to go with your set up IMO

27-Nov-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Aim low the moose will die, aim high say bye bye:)

Your current set-up will work just fine! C

27-Nov-15
I've shot 4 bulls with different set ups. The moose never knew I changed a thing. Stick with what shoots best now and have a good time.

27-Nov-15
Thanks guys! I hope to get close enough to to a bull as nice as the ones you guys posted.

Long way till the hunt but I can't be too prepared. T-Roy, good luck on your 16 hunt as well, hopefully we will be swapping some good photos and stories this time next year.

27-Nov-15
I agree with Bear Track, as I've killed five moose with a 375 gr arrow as the lightest up to about 520 grain arrow as the heaviest and they all died. Shot placement is key. Your present setup will work fine, although a tougher shaft isn't a bad idea. A tough broadhead is a good idea too. I presently shoot the Easton Carbon Injexion shafts and they are fine, but like the aftermarket outserts that allow you to use standard 8-32 threaded broad heads, not the deep-6 small diameter shanks. I think the deep-6 shanks are marginal on strength for "big" game hunting and won't use them.

• Sitka Gear