MQQSE 08-Mar-16
charlie wilson 08-Mar-16
HuntingAdict 08-Mar-16
MQQSE 08-Mar-16
HuntingAdict 08-Mar-16
Julius K 08-Mar-16
MQQSE 08-Mar-16
07-Mar-16
Is anyone familiar with Zone 1? I have a tag for the September season and am wanting to get some general information about the area, best maps, etc..

07-Mar-16
Google earth, Terra server, lots of good stuff out there. I would also contact any local govt. agencies and ask for topo maps and such. Shawn

07-Mar-16
How'd you get a tag? The draw isn't for another month or two.

07-Mar-16
I've applied since 1999 with no luck and finally broke down and bought one of the auction tags. Figures I would then draw WY unit 22 elk after 14 years. That's my luck!

I'm not complaining. Plenty of venison to go around if I can shoot straight.

08-Mar-16
A lot of money to hunt moose ,they say the average bid was $13,500 something, but it does go to a good cause zone 1 is pretty much a wilderness area very few towns and few roads ,a lot of trails good moose country though are you going to use a guide after spend that much I would think I would use a guide only because he knows the area and country ,but good Luck which ever way you decide to go!!

08-Mar-16
I'm going to get up there early and spend time trying to locate a decent bull. I've hunted moose many times over the years. At this point, I really want to enjoy the experience more than anything. So, no guide for me. No money left! Haha

08-Mar-16

Zim1's embedded Photo
Zim1's embedded Photo
Adam, If I draw another tag up there I'd do exactly what I did last time. Drive around and chat with any loggers you can find. So few folks have tags my guy was happy to help me just out of courtesy. Location is everything. That's all you'd be paying a guide for. And that is what a logger could provide. I beat myself up for two weeks in NH scouting clear cuts unsuccessfully. Then a day and a half after chatting with the logger............

08-Mar-16
Ken

I remember that now. I did the same thing back in NH in 2000. Almost forgot all about that! The one thing I will have on my side is a full blown rut vs. the later NH season dates.

08-Mar-16
Pick up a Delorme Maine Gazetteer to begin with. The woods in that area are constantly changing from logging currently being done. While you can look at google earth, a lot of their imagery might not show current conditions on the ground. The idea of contacting loggers is a great idea. I have found that moose in general are found further off the road system than in years past. I drew a tag in zone 4 in 2014 and that was the case then. Bulls are still shot on the roads but getting back in the woods is a big advantage. Just be prepared to break down and pack out the animal if successful. Good luck with the hunt. In my opinion moose hunting is as good as it gets.

08-Mar-16
Is the auction over already? I thought that usually didn't happy for a while yet. The lottery is open till mid May when did you win the tag?

08-Mar-16
Charlie-Thanks for the info.. I just received the book a few days ago. I'll have the pack frames in the truck!

HungingAdict- The auction in Maine is in Feb. The state auctions off ten tags. It surprised me it was so early.

08-Mar-16
wow that is surprising, congrats on a great tag, I drew Zone 5 in 2013 and killed a nice bull (rifle not bow). I think if you put some time in and get off the beaten path you can probably find a giant up there. Big big woods. Good luck.

08-Mar-16
Moose, I live in Maine and have hunted zone 4 next zone south), but know a lot about zone 1. If you want to send me PM, I can tell you about it.

08-Mar-16
Julius

PM sent

• Sitka Gear