georgemcg 18-Mar-16
Zim1 18-Mar-16
Jim McNamara 19-Mar-16
Rick M 19-Mar-16
Brian M. 20-Mar-16
Shiras 21-Mar-16
Bake 21-Mar-16
17-Mar-16
I'll be hunting moose for the first time this fall (northern AK) and am guaranteed to kill a world record bull (yeah, right). If I do put one on the ground, I'm not sure what I'll do as far as mounting the head. My home has 8' ceilings, and I'm wondering if a shoulder mount would overwhelm a room. To gather ideas, I thought I'd post up here to see what others have done to display their moose trophies with limited available space. Chime in with thoughts, suggestions, photos, etc. Thanks!

17-Mar-16
Agree with Maverick. I have my moose downstairs, which happens to have 8' ceilings as well. My Shiras looks just fine, but an Alaska/Yukon would be a completely different story. It would sit darn near on the floor, and stick 6' out into the room. Not only would it overwhelm it's surroundings, if you have any little ones around, that would be a disaster waiting to happen. Either way, best of luck on your hunt.

17-Mar-16
There are a couple threads regarding moose mounts....several photos included. If you do a search, you'll probably find them rather easily....they might give you inspiration for a mount that works for your room.

17-Mar-16

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
Here's a pic of a Euro mount of an AK moose. Only 41" wide, but the palms are quite long (37" on the long one).

The wall the moose is on is almost 9'. The top of the palm may actually be a bit above that. Vaulted ceiling allows a bit of that.

As you can see, it's possible, but it will eat a big chunk of whatever room you put it it. Be sure to peg mount the antler on one side, especially if getting it in the building will be tough.

17-Mar-16
nice palms on that one. looks like you'd have to 'duck' to get under it.

17-Mar-16
There are some excellent photos on other threads of how great a big moose with a long bell looks in a room with low ceilings. (PS, don't hang the moose over your coffee table or the bell will be dangling in your coffee.)

17-Mar-16

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
Yup, one should check which photo is open.

17-Mar-16
check twice even!

17-Mar-16

Rockbass's embedded Photo
Rockbass's embedded Photo
Here is a 50" bull from Ontario with 8' ceilings. My wife and I have both cracked our heads on the nose. I curse the Moose when I do it she curses me!

17-Mar-16
A couple of weeks ago I helped a friend hang his AK shoulder mount moose up. A really nice 60" bull he shot a few years ago and finally got mounted. From the top of the antlers to the bottom of the chest the mount was 5' 10". From the wall to the tip of the nose was 4'. He has high ceilings so it looks good but it might look pretty funny with 8' walls. I would highly recommend detachable antlers if you go with a shoulder mount.

18-Mar-16
I don't think moose look good as a shoulder mount unless you have a living room with a fireplace big enough to roast a whole yak in. Are you going to the south side of the brooks range? Papa Bear outfitters?

18-Mar-16

Zim1's embedded Photo
Zim1's embedded Photo
Mine is discreetly incorporated into my work desk area. Helps to position in the corner for 8' ceilings. Only downside is smacking my head on his snout when I use the printer. Upside is he's easy to dust off. Took this bull in New Hampshire.

18-Mar-16

MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
I built my living room around my moose ;)

18-Mar-16
Zim1, I like your style. That is indeed a nice, subtle presentation with a lovely placement of your trophy. You probably only have to lean ever so slightly to the left whilst seated at your desk. lol

MNTRCHR, that's an awesome sight to behold. I hope to someday have a similar fireplace to adorn with a similar beast. Nice mulie in the corner, too!

I'll be heading to unit 25 for a float. My buddy and I are going alone, no guides. Should be an epic adventure, even if not "successful".

I'm thinking I'll cape out a bull if I'm so fortunate to tag one. I'll have the cape tanned, then I'll do a Euro mount, saving the option to upgrade it to a shoulder mount as future space allows.

18-Mar-16
just FYI...you will need to decide right off the bat between mounting or not...they tan the hides different for a cape mount versus regular tanning and from what my taxidermist told me, you can't go back and forth. If you want it mounted, they 'wet tan' it...if you want garmet tanned, its another process. So, if you aren't sure what you are going to do, have it wet tanned so at least you can mount it later if you want. but the wet tan is not your typical 'rug' type tan that hangs over the couch

18-Mar-16
Have it properly turned, and fleshed and salted and you can store it like that for a decent amount of time.

18-Mar-16

georgemcg's embedded Photo
georgemcg's embedded Photo
for a big moose use a 5'x5'x5' box for reference. the side walls are 11' and 18' at the peak.

18-Mar-16
Nothing like some good company while watching TV!

19-Mar-16
As for tanning, you can do a wet tan and freeze the cape or do a dry tan and freeze it. Either way it will keep a while. Just tell the taxidermist you might mount it later. Wet = heavy and dry will be a bit lighter. Both take up some serious freezer space. You can dry tan and hang it but the shelf life can be shortened to be able to mount it.

19-Mar-16
Euro moose look really nice if you don't have the space. The bonus is you save enough to go on a DIY elk hunt.

20-Mar-16

Brian M. 's embedded Photo
Brian M. 's embedded Photo
About 9.5' at peak, low cathedral ceiling.

21-Mar-16
What about doing a pedestal mount?

21-Mar-16

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I wish my pictures had turned out better. . .

At the 2013 P&Y convention in Dallas, they had a huge bull moose mounted in a threat display pose. (nose kinda down, and tilted to the side like they do when they rock back and forth displaying) The head was on a pedestal at the convention, although I think it was designed to be a wall mount.

It was flat out AWESOME looking! I really thought it was make an awesome pedestal for the corner of a room. . . .

I wish my cell pics had turned out better

• Sitka Gear