Fletch 19-May-16
ELKMAN 19-May-16
AndyJ 19-May-16
AndyJ 20-May-16
DL 20-May-16
Fuzzy 20-May-16
15-May-16

Bowboy's Link
What were these Yellowstone visitors thinking! I wonder were the cow was at the time.

15-May-16
Deer stupid people,

please continue to snatch bison calves and attempt to pet adult bison so that there's less of you around.

Sincerely,

The people with an ounce of common sense.

15-May-16
Brilliant. But somehow not surprising.

15-May-16
Just think if it was a bear cub...........

15-May-16
Ignorance runs rampant.........

15-May-16
Bwahahaha. Wow, people never cease to amaze me.

16-May-16
but it looked cold,

ha ha ha ha oz

16-May-16

JEL's Link
They ended up killing the calf. Couldn't get the herd to accept it.

16-May-16
Some people just need to stay in the city.

16-May-16
They should serve the meat from this calf at the Old Faithful Inn and show these idiots the cycle of life.

Or they should have taken it to Lamar Valley and released the calf, so the tourists could witness the cycle of life.

Then again, they could have named the calf "Norman" ala City Slickers. How would that work if a wolf or a grizzly bear with a name attacks a buffalo calf with a name? Who do they root for?

Dumb@sses.

16-May-16
Sometimes I'm ashamed to be part of the human race.....

16-May-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I made this. If anyone is headed up there soon, please feel free to post it.

16-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
How about this rocket surgeon? This tourist was gored by a bison last week in Custer State Park in South Dakota. Apparently there was no brain damage as there was nothing to be damaged. The picture on the left is an actual photo taken of the victim moments before she was gored.

16-May-16
But in the Disney movies, all the animals are really nice...

Seriously though, this is why these Park Rangers often times seem so overly patronizing and cautious. This is the kind of stupidity they have to deal with.

People think that they're going to have some sort of spiritual connection with a wild animal like they were in "Free Willy" and don't understand that the average wild animal would just as soon see them dead. People are completely disconnected with reality.

16-May-16
"Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity."

Robert Heinlein

16-May-16
Age what age does that calf turn into a moose or elk again?

17-May-16
I had a fun little interaction with one of these types that try to interact spiritually with the wildlife at the reservoir where I hike my dog daily. Deer there are plentiful and very used to people...sometimes we'll get within ten yds of them before they take off. I was telling her about those types of encounters and how close we can get. She said "That's wonderful! Do you ever try to connect with them?" I told her, "Yes, with a 100 grain mechanical broadhead". She avoids me every time I see her now...

17-May-16
just goes to prove that idiot, and asshole, are not mutually exclusive conditions.

17-May-16
You know, this is just another sign of how the US and it's people are just plain stupid!

I have been to some places where you can truly see and experience wild things. One of the things that always struck me was there were no gates, no fences, no warnings. People just knew, if you go up to edge, and fall off, well, that's your problem.

I'm sitting on a bus in Southern Chile, and two Americans get on-board right away...... "That was so awesome, they should be a fence there in case someone falls down into the river. That trail was muddy and dangerous". Right there I felt like vomiting.

Pretty soon Yellowstone will have a huge fence around and we can all look at the spectacular show from outside the fence like a bunch of convicts looking at fresh meat.

17-May-16
I saw an article this morning that said the calf's mother rejected it when they tried to return it. So, the calf had to be put down.

Sorry missed that this had been posted already.

17-May-16
"I had a fun little interaction with one of these types that try to interact spiritually with the wildlife at the reservoir where I hike my dog daily. Deer there are plentiful and very used to people...sometimes we'll get within ten yds of them before they take off. I was telling her about those types of encounters and how close we can get. She said "That's wonderful! Do you ever try to connect with them?" I told her, "Yes, with a 100 grain mechanical broadhead". She avoids me every time I see her now..."

Fletch-Way to turn what could have been a very constructive encounter into a destructive one.

17-May-16
They are poachers and should be charged.

18-May-16
FYI I just read that charges are being laid on the bison-warming dude

18-May-16
Cazador they were from Canada...

18-May-16
Why would they put the calf down. I would have driven up there, brought it home and bottle fed the little bastard. I want some bison meat. I thought if I ever slaughtered my own buffalo I could shoot my bow off a horse. ;) Maybe do a rain dance, connect with my inner Indian.

18-May-16
Way to read there guy... it clearly states they were from another country....

18-May-16
Canada doesn't have a patent on idiots, just as easily could have been Americans. Cazadors point is still valid.

18-May-16
More than valid for both countries.

I read first page only, that was enough.

19-May-16
"Actually AndyJ, if you think these people are in any way open to "constructive" conversation, then you are part of the problem."

Actually Dave, if you believe that then YOU are part of the problem. I feel like I could have made that a good conversation. Very few people are completely close minded. That woman was interested in what Fletch had to say. In my experience most non-hunters really haven't formed a strong opinion for or against hunting. Most anti-hunters, have been horribly mislead into believing all hunters are bloodthirsty a-holes that only think about one thing-killing. Fletch's comment would have only reinforced that view point. I make a point to engage as many people as possible about hunting. In a crowd of unknowns I do my best to bring up hunting in as non-threatening a way as possible just to see what happens. I try to bring wild game to BBQ's and bring extra for people to try. They immediately see the personal benefit of hunting. I have had lots of conversations with actual antis about hunting. I am always amazed how many antis have really never had a conversation with an actual hunter about hunting. They have never been presented with the facts about hunting and have never been told the benefits of hunting and hunting money on the environment. A lot of hunters have a really bad habit of "rubbing people's noses" in hunting. This approach to try to make the anti-hunter queasy or angry or whatever, does nothing but drive a wedge deeper between hunting and the anti/non hunters. If I am not mistaken, something like 5% of the population hunts. It seems, at least to me, that efforts are being made to systematically phase out hunting. Personally, I think we could use all the acceptance we can get. Yes, there will always be people whose minds are made up, but let them be the close minded, a-holes. All you need to do is make them doubt themselves.

19-May-16
Okay, I wasn't going to respond because I didn't feel the need to defend myself. But seeing that my comment has turned into something I'll provide a point of clarity, there is a backstory here and I should have provided it earlier.

This was one of many interactions with this woman, I know her and her way of thinking and she is a wayward animal lover. She's the type that will interfere with nature any chance she feels that she can "help". Her idea of "helping" is she goes on searches for "lost fawns" or "orphaned fawns"...I've caught her twice with a fawn in a blanket as she's exiting the woods on the way to the local vet. She told me they were all alone in the brush and their mother was no where to be found...I tried to explain to her why this was on a few occasions, but that apparently never sunk in. I also saw her once with the staff from the vet's office, returning a fawn to where she found it. She's told me of an instance when she tried to catch a coyote that was acting "off" to bring it to the vet...I explained why this was a bad idea. So there's history here and anything I say/said was not changing her actions. The only time I'll interact again is if these examples above come to pass in the future.

Generally, I talk up the benefits of hunting and shed a positive light on the sport with the majority of people I talk to. And whether receptive or not, most people like to hear the stories...especially the things I see while out hunting that most people don't get to see.

My apologies for creating a bit of an argument here.

19-May-16
It's all that "free" health care up there that's got them confused about the reality's of the world... LOL!

19-May-16
Fletch, I appreciate the back story and I didn't mean to sound like I was picking on you, you just happened to have the easy example on this thread.

Dave-Having dealt with your style of "I'm right, you're wrong" arguing before, I expect that most people you talk to just want to get out of the conversation by any means necessary.

"They're too ignorant and stupid to objectively listen..."

It probably wouldn't hurt to take a look in the mirror right about now. Maybe you should try to listen sometime. You're responses always ooze your disdain for those that don't agree 100% with you. You might find a little empathy and respect can go a long ways. Start as an enemy and you'll probably stay an enemy.

20-May-16
Dave all I'm saying is sometimes it is a good idea to put on a smiley face and try to be nice. I'm sure alienating others has gotten you far, but right now, hunting needs friends or at least not enemies.

At this point I couldn't care less what terrible candidate people choose to vote for, but I am concerned how people view hunting and I will try hard to convince every non and anti hunter, willing to engage in a conversation, that hunting is a vital aspect of environmental health. And I will do it in a polite respectful manner.

20-May-16
My wife used to work at a jr high. One of the students she knew said she could talk with animals. So one day on the playground she found a gopher she picked it up to talk to it. Apparently the gopher was an illegal alien gopher and did not understand English. It bit the crap out of her.

20-May-16
DL, it just didn't like what she had to say.

• Sitka Gear