carcus 26-Sep-16
Brokenarrow129 28-Sep-16
carcus 28-Sep-16
t-roy 28-Sep-16
Trial153 28-Sep-16
19-Aug-16

Foot Shooter's embedded Photo
Foot Shooter's embedded Photo
Anyone else waiting to head out on a Moose hunt this year? Time was going by quickly but seems to be slowing down the closer I get. First Moose hunt, I have overpacked, overthought, and now I am over waiting..... Moose, Elk, Mt. Goat tags (and wolf JIC) in Northern BC.

Anyone actually hunting yet....?

19-Aug-16
What outfitter are you going with?

19-Aug-16
I will be with Tuchodi River outfitters.

My countdown is till I leave the house. 44 hour drive to get to the first plane.

19-Aug-16
Driving from where to where

19-Aug-16
Is that timer clock and app? Waiting is at least half the fun! Good luck! C

19-Aug-16

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
22 days till my best friend & I head out to Alaska on our drop camp hunt. Gonna pic up a bear & some wolf tags too. Only a 3 hour drive for me to my first plane;>)

A couple bulls like this will be good enough for us.

19-Aug-16

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Just NOT in here again:>(

19-Aug-16
Drive is from south of Columbus Ohio to Ft. Nelson, BC. Taking the southern route through most of Montana prior to turning north into BC. Should skirt the east side of the Rockies all the way up through Canada. Taking large chest freezer and generator and hoping to come back heavy!

And yes the pic is a timer clock app, I look at too much when at work right now.......??

T-Roy shared some stories around a campfire last year from his last Alaska hunt so I'm sure he is in for another good one! Can't wait to hear about it and hopefully have a story of my own.

19-Aug-16
21 days til I land in ANC. My food and some gear is already there. Go thru remaining gear with my buddy and drive up to the float plane and land on some lake Sept 11.

19-Aug-16
But first I gotta shoot an elk

19-Aug-16
My wife and I are leaving in September for Manitoba. She likes to come along and watch. We will be driving up to Thompson and will take a float plant out from there. Hope to stop in West Fargo overnight to visit with people that I grew up with.

19-Aug-16
Cnelk, that sounds like a great way to warm up and pass time before your trip! (Good luck on both-elk first then moose trip)

We're hanging stands, trimming lanes, and working food plots/cameras on weekends but all of that is still waiting.

19-Aug-16
we leave out of the 29th. I have packed twice already

19-Aug-16
It's killing me,but I don't get to leave until the 28th of Sept for Alberta.I have 3 elk hunters to guide in New Mexico,and then off to Savage Encounters.

20-Aug-16
Leave Aug. 31st for a ten day DIY Black bear and Sitka Blacktail hunt on Prince of Wales. Can't wait.

20-Aug-16
Why would you put, on a public forum, when you will not be home?

20-Aug-16
18 days to departure.

I'll be going solo in central Alaska after moose and black bear. This will be my second consecutive solo hunt and in case anyone wonders, my only firearm will have a 4" barrel. I've got 2 weeks scheduled in the rut and will be hunting a place nobody has hunted previously. I'm excited to get in there and see new country. The moose are there...that's already known.

photo Alaska 2011 054.jpg

photo Alaska 2011 081.jpg

photo flyout.jpg

20-Aug-16
Good luck fellas. May God Bless you all with the hunt of your lifetime's.

20-Aug-16
Kevin you should do a semi-live hunt! Them pics makes me wanna leave tomo. Goodluck! Mike

20-Aug-16
Sounds like an awesome adventure! Hope you get a big one!

23-Aug-16
Down to 2 weeks and a day. I've been really busy (work) and haven't had a lot of time to devote to anticipation. I'll do that once I get on the plane to head north.

I think 14 days alone should be enough. By the end of it I'll probably be ready to tolerate people again, lol.

photo df144d20-cd0d-4ff3-8f0d-ff60245b27cb.jpg

23-Aug-16
Flying to BC for moose hunt starts Sep 23.

23-Aug-16
Purdue you can assume someone is watching everyones home or ranch that's why .I know my rottwieller eats all trespassers so not a care in the world.

23-Aug-16
19 days until a 14 day self guided hunt in AK. We are 5 of 6 on the previous 2 hunts with 2 60+ bulls and one 56". All of the bigger ones were the guys with the rifle. I will stick with the bow and hope that my turn on a big one comes.

23-Aug-16
25 days, 11 hours till I pull out now.........

Looking forward to seeing some success threads from all of you.

I am trying to figure out the best way to have enough camera batteries for the trip, don't really want to go solar, but if it turns cold I'm worried about the battery life for my camera. Definitely want lots of pictures from the hunt.

23-Aug-16
Haven't seen any moose in my yard since early spring. Hopefully that changes soon!

24-Aug-16
Good luck Shiras. I'm with you on keeping to the bow. I could probably be 100% on moose if I'd been gunning for them. My average shot distance on bulls is 12 yards and under. Even I can hammer them with a longbow at that range!

Hey Nick...any frost? Blueberries?

24-Aug-16
Kevin, I will be using my longbow as well. Let me know if you think my set up is sufficient.

Lonesome Wind 3 piece take down with a 61 lb draw. Easton Legacy 2016 @ 29" with 135 grain Zwickey's and brass washers for a total arrow weight of about 500 grains. I know it's a little on the light end, but it should do the job.

24-Aug-16
No frost yet around town Kevin though I saw snow in the Brooks twice so far since July.

Lots of berries!

Things are feeling cooler and leaves are changing colors.

Won't be long and the wood stove will be on!

24-Aug-16
Shiras....you're gonna be fine with that setup. I killed my first bull with a 56 pound recurve and a 145 Eclipse on a Beman carbon. I got complete penetration and watched that bull drop 40 yards from where I shot him.

I'm starting to feel the itch. Knowing I've got all that time alone in the backcountry is cause to daydream. I think I'll go shoot a few arrows.....

25-Aug-16
The being alone part is great until you get one down! :)

Have fun and good luck!

25-Aug-16

Shiras's Link
We're going back after this one that we saw after our tags were filled.

25-Aug-16
My buddy in AK sent me this txt last night...

" A friend of mine seen a 60 + bull moose this last weekend near our spot. Seen 3 other sub legal mulligan bulls"

25-Aug-16
Yup. 10 days and 11 hours and 54 min, but who is counting? DIY with 2 buddies. I'll take one like any of the above. Traveling with the gun shooters, but I'll use the sharp sticks....

deer opener first, should be a good warm up.

25-Aug-16
4 weeks from Saturday...Alberta. On Saturday, elk! It is on!

26-Aug-16
Two weeks till I'm headed to the Koyukuk. Really will be trying to get one with a bow.

28-Aug-16
I fly out for my first moose float hunt next week. It's a DIy trip with a good buddy also from the lower 48. He's hunted moose once before. Wish us luck!

29-Aug-16
Headed out 10/3 for my first trip to the Yukon with Blackstone Outfitters. It's all I've been thinking about. However, I'll be carrying a gun on this trip and I'll have multiple tags in my pocket just in case.

29-Aug-16
He's waiting too....

photo IMG_2871.jpg

29-Aug-16
I'm thinking I will let my guide know what I want to get....... Then I will hand him my arrows and tell him when I should want to shoot a good moose, hand me an arrow. First time Moose hunter and they will all look big I am sure.

19 Days.....

30-Aug-16
October 30, Newfoundland......

31-Aug-16
104 hours, but who is counting...

Bag is packed, food is mailed. Getting that freak out excited feeling.

31-Aug-16
22 Days and heading for my first trip to Newfoundland. Going to be hunting with Effords out of their Reuben Lake camp. Anyone been there?

31-Aug-16
Long range forecast shows rain/snow showers the day we fly out....

01-Sep-16
I leave Dallas for Fairbanks on the 12th. Into the bush on the 14th. It cannot get here fast enough.

02-Sep-16
Arriving in Fairbanks early next Thursday morning (9/8). Getting dropped on the river on 9/10, then floating for 10 days. First AK moose/bou hunt for me. We're going big for our first trip to AK. Should be an epic adventure.

02-Sep-16
good luck to all of you!!!! moose is one of the best hunt !!!!

02-Sep-16
Who is going 100% bow only or eat the tag?

Count me.

02-Sep-16
My buddy & I are both bow only. We both are gonna be carrying sidearms for bear protection, but that's it.

I haven't shot anything with a gun other than varmints since 1982.

03-Sep-16
BIgpizzaman and I are headed in on 9/12.

Good luck to everyone!

03-Sep-16
I like the taste of moose meat more than eating the the tag. I will pull the trigger with the rifle in camp if needed. My days of needing to impress anyone ended a long time ago.

My buddy will also have his moose tag and a grizz tag. I sure hope the 375 H&H goes bang for him too

05-Sep-16
Need some quick help. What's the name and details of the expiditor that was hauling big game to the lower 48 that was on a thread a few years ago?

05-Sep-16
Shiras

I spoke with Charlie about a week ago & he is going to be up in Alaska again as usual. He beefed up his reefer trailer last year so hopefully he won't have to turn anybody away this year.

He said his return route will be on I90 thru Minnesota this year. A little closer to us!

05-Sep-16
Hey Shiras...what town are you flying in/out from? Dates you'll be in town?

05-Sep-16
Alaska Meat Express

Charlie's number is 920-655-4713

05-Sep-16
17 days and a wake up and will be on a float plane to an Ontario outpost drop camp. We'll have 10 Darius for sure, and can add a few more if needed. Good luck to all!

06-Sep-16
Good luck Joe...I fully expect to hear a good story about a bull at close range.

I'm gone in 24 hours and will be setting up my camp on Thursday.

06-Sep-16

Trial153's embedded Photo

06-Sep-16
Thanks for the fast responses!

Kevin we will be flying into Bethel, through Anchorage of course. We fly in on 9/10 and out on 9/25 unless we get tagged out early and change our flights.

Thanks again everyone.

Matt

06-Sep-16
Kevin Dill, I am actually rifle hunting, not because I mind eating the tag, or want to do it "easy", (I put off killing my first black bear despite gun opportunities, for >20 years, b/c I wanted my first to be a stick-bow kill) but because it's fulfilling a dream my dad (who wasn't a bow hunter) never got to, with HIS hunting rifle.

I won't be posting hunt details or pics on Bowsite, b/c it's a rifle hunt, but I'm still stoked.

06-Sep-16
Fuzzy and whoever else cares...

My question was just mainly to see if there are still guys around who are fanatical bow-only hunters. There is nothing implied beyond that.

06-Sep-16
Less than 4 days left!

Good luck to everyone going, but most of all, stay safe & savor the entire experience!

06-Sep-16
Leave for Papa Bear Adventures next Tuesday!

06-Sep-16
Kevin Dill, PM sent :)

06-Sep-16
I still have 11 days till I start my drive.....

No meat pole thread as of yet, but looking forward to it.

07-Sep-16
7 days till I leave for the Yukon. Been counting off the days for a year now.

07-Sep-16
I'm in the Minnie airport and there is a lot of camo and flannel to be seen.

07-Sep-16
Hopefully the ticket agents will have the routine down pat by the time I fly out of there this Saturday!

Good luck Kevin!

07-Sep-16
Thanks and the same to you. I noted that Fairbanks is supposed to get a hard frost regionally tonight. Chilly nights are ahead.

08-Sep-16
Frost was forming this eve closer to dark as I was walking back from calling moose. Good luck guys!

08-Sep-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Drive to meet the bush pilot on Saturday the 10th and fly out on Sunday the 11th...

10 days in the bush with this weather

08-Sep-16
Frosty morning in Fairbanks.

08-Sep-16
Good luck Bill Can't wait to hear the stories!!

09-Sep-16
Good luck to everyone!

09-Sep-16
I leave Saturday the 17th for the Chugach. Getting excited.

09-Sep-16
I am down to 8 Days (with 5 working days) before I leave........

Thanks Will, I hope to have some good stories to share (along with some good pics)

09-Sep-16
13 hours...

10-Sep-16
Sitting in the Seattle airport waitin on my buddy, then on to Fairbanks....and beyond!!

10-Sep-16
2 weeks...

13-Sep-16
4 Days............

Fighting the urge to pack everything because I will end up pulling it all out 2 more times before it goes in the truck........

Planning to repack everything and weigh it all again on Saturday morning, load the freezer and generator, and have everything ready to go for an early morning start.

At least I know which bow I am taking now......

3 more days of work ( I may be useless for the last one.......two.....)

16-Sep-16
Good luck footshooter, hope you hammer a good bull. It's been a "little" wet up here, so bring your boots.

I'll be heading out in a couple of days to.

17-Sep-16
Thanks Ambush! I have done all that I could to prepare, and hope to make the most of any good opportunities. Hopefully I get to fill that wolf tag as well.

Good luck to you as well, hopefully we both get to add to a "meat pole" thread with a couple good Bulls in a couple of weeks or so.

I am 14 hours from heading down the road, and everything is loaded for the big drive.

17-Sep-16
I hope you kill several wolves! Wolves and black bears should be free or steeply discounted!

Enjoy the drive. It's too bad that there is very little wildlife to be seen at this time of year, at least in BC.

You're in a good area for moose. Though I'm not really targeting moose [caribou is the focus] I'll see plenty and may take an easy opportunity. We'll be hunting much the same latitude, but I'll be farther west. I leave Sunday at around noon.

Hope the weather cooperates for both of us.

18-Sep-16
Hopefully, I will have some nice pictures to show you guys when we return in October. We are going with Webber's in Manitoba. I really like these guys! Hunted with them for caribou in 2014 and they were fantastic. If I harvest a nice bull moose I will be going back with them again for a muskox.

18-Sep-16
Bighorn, a good friend of mine Alan MacCarthy guided for them last year and is back guiding for them this year. He had lots of good things to say about the operation. You should have a great hunt.

18-Sep-16
I know that they are an outstanding outfit. That is why I'm going back this year. If I get to meet Alan I will mention your name to him and run like hell. Ha ha.

19-Sep-16
Flew out of the bush today and along with me came a 60" bull.

A great DIY hunt complete.

But since I used a rifle I can't post pics.

19-Sep-16
Cnelk,

I don't think that is any rule here........

I am better than 2/3 of the way, and could use some 60" moose motivation! No meat pole to look at yet, seems like there should be.

And Congrats on the Bull!

20-Sep-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
My 60 1/2" bull hanging off the the wing of a 1962 SuperCub

20-Sep-16
T minus 5 days....

20-Sep-16

22-Sep-16
leaving for BC 9/30.

22-Sep-16
Headed to NFL for a hunt with Conne River on 9/30 as well...sooooooo ready!

22-Sep-16
Big Easy....We are booked w/ConneRiver second week of Oct. 2017....waiting is killing but have to.

24-Sep-16
My buddy and I just got back into Fairbanks this afternoon. No moose unfortunately! Rained every friggen day except for 1& 1/2 days! Called 2 different bulls in but not quite close enough for the bow. Had an incredible encounter for over an hour calling in a really nice beautiful 50"-55" bull with 5 brows on one side to within 80 yds but couldn't get him to completely commit! Had him at 65 yds at one point but no good shot angle. I got a little bit of video of him on my phone. If I can figure out how to post it on here I will try.

Also called in a huge 65"+ bull with incredible palms into within 200 yds but he winded us after stepping into the clearing. It is unbelievable listening to them responding to the call, grunting as they come! We also snuck in to within 125 yds on another very nice mid50s bull but not close enough with the bow. He would respond to my calls but wouldn't budge! We saw 4 bulls total. We saw a small bull on a sandbar plus the other 3 mentioned. All three of the better bulls would have been a slam dunk with a rifle!

24-Sep-16
Good luck and shoot straight Bill!

Congrats on your bull cnelk!!

24-Sep-16
Cnelk,

Congrats!

Who cares if it's a rifle kill. Just put a disclaimer/warning on your thread title and post up your hunt. It's an Alaska moose hunt many would love to see.

Most of us could probably name the few bowsiters that would complain anyway. We'll just ignore them. LOL.

24-Sep-16
Leaving monday, 2 more days of work, will hunt for a 1.5 weeks if needed, good luck to all

26-Sep-16
Leaving in 3 hours after a shit, shower and shave!

28-Sep-16
After reading this thread, I'm all fired up to load my truck and drive north. Now I can't wait for the rut to start.

28-Sep-16

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
Short hunt

28-Sep-16
It would have been even quicker if you hadn't taken the time to sh....ave, carcus;>)

Congrats!!

28-Sep-16

Packed and ready...10 pounds under for the two of us. Leaving for the rock in the morning

• Sitka Gear