Shooter 03-Mar-08
Bowboy 03-Mar-08
gone2hunt 03-Mar-08
gone2hunt 03-Mar-08
COUGAR 04-Mar-08
string boy 04-Mar-08
dennisomfs 04-Mar-08
03-Mar-08
I went to the local Elks annual game feed last week and had the usual. Goose, Turkey, Deer, Squirrel, Rabbit, BBQ Raccoon, Pheasant Pot Pie, and this year Mountain Lion. The Lion was very light meat and had been tenderized but it was incredible! Everyone in my group loved it also. I had heard lion was good but had my doubts, it was excellant.

03-Mar-08
I've had the sausage and it was good!

03-Mar-08
I have not eaten cougar, but leopard is fantastic! Leopard backstraps are a lot like pork...a firm white meat. We basically lived on my leopard for 3 days until fresh impala loin, guinea fowl, and tilapia made a welcome change. Fine eatin' all the way around!

Bowhuntress

03-Mar-08
Yes I have had Cougar and Rice!!! VERY GOOD!!! Tastes like Chicken...................lol

03-Mar-08
I had chinese last night does that count??? Just Joking

03-Mar-08
I love Mtn Lion meat. It is awesome. It is my favorite wild game meat. Even beats elk in my opinion and that is tough to do.

03-Mar-08
Cougar is great! We had a ham smoked. It looked like Ham and tasted like Ham! You would never know the difference!

03-Mar-08
so then just eat ham.

03-Mar-08
I was actually going to ask this very same question about anybody actually eating it. Interesting results so far.

03-Mar-08
I had my entire cougar processed. The breakfast sausage was great, and the cuts of meat were very good as well. To me it had it's own unique, mild flavor that was very nice.

03-Mar-08
I ate a whole cougar.Best meat i ever ate.

03-Mar-08
Hey Bou-So just eat ham!!! Can always count on you for a litary gem.

03-Mar-08
My lion was delicious, you do get alot of funny looks from people when you tell them you are eating it.

03-Mar-08
I wish I would have brought all my meat home from my cougar hunt I love the stuff and wish I could get more. My opinio better then any whitetail meat I have ever had

03-Mar-08
Trappers in northern parts of Canada also consider Lynx very good to eat . Light meat similar to chicken.

03-Mar-08

chip -

.....or even a literary gem

you gotta admit it's a lot easier to find ham than cougar!

03-Mar-08
at our annual beast feast, lion was the meat of choice by majority of attendees. beat out elk, deer, buffalo, beef, antelope ..etc.

03-Mar-08
I haven't eaten Mtn. Lion, but I'll 2nd the comments about how good leopards are to eat. We ate the backstraps from one of my leopards, and it was outstanding. None of the other meat went to waste, either; as the camp staff ate the rest of the cat.

03-Mar-08
What are you talkin about 'Bou? You can definitely find Cougar in the grocery store :)

03-Mar-08
That's odd. Another thread just started about cougar eating anyone?

03-Mar-08
Hammer, better be careful. Those cougars are the real man eaters.

03-Mar-08
Tastes like Pork loin...only better. Easy to cook too.

03-Mar-08
It's just so hard to hoist a pig up in a tree to shoot it ;o)

So if a cougar eats your buddy on an elk hunt, and you eat the cougar, does that make you a cannibal?!

I've heard bobcat and cougar are awesome. Can't wait to try either myself. Problem is getting one...

Carl

03-Mar-08
Cougar is one of the best tasting wild meats around. It has always seemed strange to me that it would taste that good, but if you ever get the chance to eat it, you will enjoy it I am sure.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

03-Mar-08

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I love Lion, but wasnt too fond of Bobcat.

03-Mar-08
I had cougar once that I guy brought with him to a hog hunt in south TX. I thought he was kidding when he said he would barbeque up some cougar that evening. It indeed was awesome.

03-Mar-08
never tried cougar, but I can tell you that bobcat is not to tasty. I was skinning two for my sister in law and my not head brother in law says wow that meat looks good. So he cooked him a few steaks..... we all took a taste but it only took one bite to pass on another.

03-Mar-08
To me mountain has a taste between pork and turkey. I really liked it.

03-Mar-08
Cougar meat is very good to eat. My favorite version so far was when one of my hunting partners cooked the backstraps from a big tom using a Chinese style BBQ recipe. Oh so good!

03-Mar-08
My previous reply would be more informative if I had been more specific by saying "Chinese BBQ Pork" recipe.

04-Mar-08
Boubound is right! You can hunt ham right in the supermarket!!! I have harvested many a ham in that manner!! LOL!

04-Mar-08
never eatin cougar or bobcat,but sure have gnawed on a few beavers

04-Mar-08
...oldtimers called it "painter meat" and the mountain men preferred it over all other wild game. With a diet primarily of fresh kill deer and elk, it's no wonder it's good...in fact, I may just thaw some out tonight! As others said, very similar to pork loin only not as dry.

• Sitka Gear