Busta'Ribs 28-Jan-09
Browtine 30-Jan-09
Alpinehunter 08-Feb-09
BlacktailStalker 11-Apr-09
Busta'Ribs 05-Jan-10
12-Jan-09

Busta'Ribs's embedded Photo
I've just returned from my Lion hunt with Byron Stewart of Track's N Trails Outfitting up in Alberta.

You may have heard of Byron before, I actually learned of him right here on the Bowsite thanks to a tip from Bou'bound a couple years back. I hunted Cougar once before in British Columbia back in 2003 but was unsuccessful.

I arrived in Edmonton on Saturday, Jan. 3 and was greeted at the airport by James Normandeau, one of Byron's guides, along with bitter cold temperatures. James actually had a bit of frostbite on his cheek from hunting for the past three weeks in temps. as low as minus 30c. The low this evening got down to minus 39c, which is essentially forty below zero, fahrenheit. Luckily, the forecast was calling for a warming trend for the following week.

Byron has 6 non-resident allocations (tags) with 5 being close to his home in the ranch land near Drayton Valley (west of Edmonton) and one further south in the Livingston Range of the Canadian Rockies, west of Calgary. Not being in top condition, I was a bit intimidated to learn that I would be the one non-resident hunter this year hunting the toughest part of Byron's territory. He explained that we would be spending Sunday getting the vast amount of equipment prepped and loaded for our 4 hour road trip south to the hunting area, which we would be doing early Monday morning.

I spent two very comfortable nights in the bunkhouse while Byron's wife Cindy fed us well and helped prepare for our trip. The attention to detail that Byron, James and our third guide, Jeff Wright spent getting the equipment ready was impressive. The entire day was spent making sure all the trucks, quads, snowmobiles, electronics and of course, the dogs were in the best shape possible. I was eager to get started with the hunt but was more than happy to wait an extra day to ensure we were totally set. Especially since my previous Cougar hunt was a memory of constantly trying to keep the gear working and wasting my valuable hunting time with broken snowmobiles.

We left in the dark on the morning of Monday the 5th.

12-Jan-09

Sorry but I have no idea where this Stealth Cam photo came from, I've never seen it before??

Anyway, I'll try my next post again and see what happens.

12-Jan-09

As you can see, this was going to be a gear intensive mission.

12-Jan-09

Arriving in Longview, Alberta mid-morning on Monday.

12-Jan-09

We started hunting late morning on Monday in the rolling ranch land near Pincher Creek. This didn't look so tough after all, as we were concentrating our efforts in the foothills, just east of the big mountains. The first afternoon was a blast, wheeling around on the sleds in minus 20c looking for tracks. Jeff found one older track that was not large enough to be of any interest.

12-Jan-09

We continued our efforts on Tuesday in the same area, Byron and I about twenty miles from the trails James and Jeff were working. We had some tough going while doubling on the sled with Byron yesterday so I told him I was fine with him running some trails by himself. I took a hike this morning and spotted two Elk herds totalling around 300 head.

12-Jan-09

Byron returned late morning having found a few older tracks including one big one, but again nothing worth chasing.

A warm wind had come up and we were losing the snow here in the foothills so Byron decided to head into the bigger mountains to our west.

On our way we ran into a flock of 25-30 wild turkeys and a band of over 20 Bighorn Sheep. Believe it or not, Byron was way more excited about the Turkeys.

12-Jan-09

We cut a big track not long after getting into the big mountains. We turned out around 2 pm with the track leading the dogs straight up the mountain. Once they reached the top above timberline, they lost the track in the windswept rocks. Circling, they picked up a smaller track, likely a female, and started smoking back down the mountain. We were able to round them up just at dark and headed back to town.

At least we knew there was a big Tom around and we would be back early to try and sort out where the dogs lost him.

12-Jan-09

Jeff and James located the big track again early on Wednesday morning, a few miles south of where we lost it the afternoon before.

12-Jan-09

After checking as many access points as possible in the direction the tracks were headed, we turned the dogs out again around 10 am. These guy's were raring to go.

12-Jan-09

The dogs smoked the fresh track right out of the gate and it looked like it might be a quick chase from the way it started. They went down the valley, turned up the creek and then smoked it right over the top of the mountain, heading straight south. We lost contact with them and jumped in the trucks headed south to try and pick up their position again.

13-Jan-09

After hours of working our way around, making contact with the dogs position and then losing it again and again, they finally signaled "treed" approximately 3 miles south of where they started the chase. It was "GO TIME".

I got my bow/gear ready and we hopped on the sleds and climbed as far up the mountain as we could.

13-Jan-09

We started the steep hike once it was no longer safe to run up the mountain on the snowmobiles. One step at a time, slow but sure. The view was awesome. Here's Jeff as we neared the top of the ridge.

13-Jan-09

Of course, Byron was in the lead, well out in front of us. He's in far better shape, doing this every day, and he's always concerned about the safety of his dogs. Unfortunately, he's lost more than one to Cougars and Wolves over the years.

As we topped the ridge, we could hear the choppy barks of the dogs far below us down in the valley. As James, Jeff and I paused to catch our breath before our descent, Byron reached the tree and radioed back the news that the dogs had treed a female.

Apparently, this big Tom knew the game and had tricked the dogs again up in the rocks.

Jeff and I hiked down to video and photograph the female as James and Byron tried to sort out what went wrong.

13-Jan-09

Although I was disappointed, I appreciated the privilege of seeing that wild cat in the tree, and made the most of it. She was not as excited as me, looking like she was about to nod off and fall asleep half the time we were there.

Byron finally signaled us to leash the dogs and pull them off the tree. Though the initial hike up the other side was rough, it was nothing compared to dragging two dogs back up and over again. They did not want to leave that cat.

13-Jan-09

We spent all day Thursday Jan 8th, closing a loop or "box" around the area the Tom had lost the dogs. Working on the sleds, in the trucks and on foot we scoured the huge area trying to see if the Lion had moved out of the boundary we had established.

When we were sure he was still contained in the loop we'd made, Byron took 4 dogs on a sled and punched back into the middle of the box and tried to sort out where the tom lost the dogs again, the day before.

He found a cave up above timberline and the entrance was bloodied, where the dogs had worked the ground hard trying to find that cat. All day long, a warm wind and temps above freezing continued to peel the snow off the mountain-tops. It was starting to look like we'd never catch up with this cat.

13-Jan-09

Byron and James continued their efforts to try and find the spot where the Tom gave the dogs the slip and Jeff and I were instructed to try a different direction, north-west of the area we'd been chasing in, just in case this cat had slipped out somewhere and we'd missed it, or in case another big Tom was around.

We worked our way up a logging road, sorting through old Lion, Wolf and Deer tracks, but finding nothing worth trailing. We hit a sign saying locked-gate one kilometer ahead and realized we were almost to the end of our day. We were certainly disappointed as the emotional roller coaster was bottoming out.

But when we reached the gate we were relieved to see it was open so we continued on our way up the mountain. Sure enough, Jeff jumps out of the truck just up the road from the gate and starts screaming to me to get out of the truck and look at the big fresh Cougar track he's spotted. Today is Jeff's Birthday and he was supposed to be celebrating it back at home with his wife in Edmonton but decided to stay and see the hunt through. Finding that track was his best Birthday present ever.

It was late in the day but we were very excited for the am. It was on again.

13-Jan-09

The twists and turns of the hunt are sometimes so unfair. As we headed down out of the mountains high as a kite and entered the foothills the snow started to fall. By the time we reached the prairie and headed north on the highway back to town it was a full blown white-out blizzard.

The snow we'd been wishing for over the past three days had arrived and was now filling in the fresh tracks we'd just found. I swear it dumped 5 inches of snow in an hour and a half. Unbelievable.

We got back to town late Thursday night, holding hope that the track would still be good enough for Byron's dogs to chase.

13-Jan-09
Although the snow had really dumped down low, it wasn't so bad up on the mountains. We circled the new area north of our old "box" and the cat track had not come out. We turned the dogs out and they flew straight up the mountain once again, over the ridge and into the next valley.

Then they made a turn and started heading down a creek bottom which crossed the road we were on a half mile east of us. We jumped in the trucks and flew down to the crossing.

Soon enough, we could hear the dogs screaming down the draw right toward us. For a moment, I actually thought I was going to get to see the big Tom fly across the road right in front of the truck.

But it was not to be, somehow we had missed where the tom had crossed out of our new box and headed south into the old box where he's given us the slip two times already. The best part was watching the dogs fly across the road on the trail. It's common to experience the beginning and the end of one of these chases but you rarely get to see it in the middle like that.

This time thank God, the track stayed low in the valley and headed right down the creek, where a maze of snowmobile trails provided great access. Byron gave me the signal to get my gear on the sled.

13-Jan-09

After all the miles and hours we'd put in over the last 5 days and despite the fact that this Tom had given us the slip two times previous, his luck was running out.

The dogs caught up with him and put him in a tree 100 yards from a snowmobile trail. As we approached the area, it quickly became apparent that the end was going to be an easy hike. Byron turned to me an said "Might Get One".

When I got to the tree James was beside me and the first thing he noticed was a dark crease in the Lion's forehead, a sign of a mature Tom. Jeff let me know pretty quick that the cat was in a good position for a bow shot and I was certainly relieved to hear that news.

I took some time to calm my nerves and get some video and photos. All I had to do now was make the shot that I had been practicing for so long.

13-Jan-09

As I expected, the shot was anti-climatic. I was very happy that the first arrow did the job in seconds and was surprised to see how fast the end came for this old Tom.

After years of anticipation, it was finally over.

I can't say enough about Byron, James, Jeff, Cindy and the entire staff at TNT Outfitting. What a hunt!

13-Jan-09

Another look.

13-Jan-09
wow...nice cat. what did he weigh?

13-Jan-09

Byron, Jeff and James.

13-Jan-09

And last but not least, the real hero's of this story; Lincoln Bonnie, Domino and Penny.

13-Jan-09
Chris, that was a fantastic story. Congratulations on a fine tom to end an incredible hunt. I enjoyed all of the details leading up to the successful finish. You are right, the shot after a hunt like that is almost anticlimatic. Enjoy your trophy and try some of those lion chops. They are delicious!!!

13-Jan-09
Great cat and story Chris! Congratulations!

13-Jan-09
Congrats. Nicely presented, too.

13-Jan-09
Wow, great story and pictures. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the big Tom!!

13-Jan-09
That was a great story, thanks for sharing ith with us. Nice Tom. How much does a quality mountain lion hunt like yours run. Do you book and then they call when they start finding tracks?

13-Jan-09
That is of the hook my friend. What an awesome pictoral. Congrats, Mike

13-Jan-09
wow very nice! Congrats!!!!

13-Jan-09
awsome story, domino and penny also helped tree my cat, a huge congrats to you

13-Jan-09
Sweet.

Chris,

I only live 45 minutes from where you were hunting, those are my old stomping grounds...great country and the cats grow big there.

Congrats on a great trip.

Sharpstick

13-Jan-09
Great pics and story. Thanks for sharing. I'm headed to Alberta next season to chase cats as well and am curious how to dress. Can you describe what you wore starting with the base layer. I'm planning on a mix of under armour, polypro & wool but good experience never hurts.

13-Jan-09
Great story and congrats on an awesome cat Chris! I'm glad you really enjoyed the hunt. Byron and his guides don't mess around when it comes to those animals. I beleive he just bought out South Ram Outfitters for their cougar permits, so he just gained a couple more. Like I said before, I can't wait to re-book with TNT again.

13-Jan-09
thanks for taking the time to share your hunt. iw as one the edge of my seat there...

13-Jan-09
Awesome cat, congrats on a hard earned trophy!

13-Jan-09
Chris,

At this time of year, the number of hunting stories begins to "thin-out" on the forum. Thanks for a hunting "fix"!! Great story, Great memories, and a great cat. Congrats, Jake

13-Jan-09
Nice write up and pics. nice cat too. Lion hunting is so much fun. Watch out thou, it can be very addicting.

13-Jan-09
Congrats! That looks like a great cat!

Thanks for the story and pics. Much appreciated!

That is on my "bucket list" for sure.

Someday, someway....

13-Jan-09
soooooo cool

13-Jan-09
Congrats on a beautiful cat !!

Alberta is God's country!

13-Jan-09
Graham, you're predjudiced...Great story, great cat Chris.

13-Jan-09
I am going to Utah in less than two weeks and this has my blood pumping. Thanks for the great story.

13-Jan-09
Congrats on a great cat! Heck of a story.

13-Jan-09
Shiras...Who are you hunting with in Utah...I am set to go to Utah in a couple weeks as well...Sunrise Outfitters.

13-Jan-09
Thanks for sharing the story. What a cat. Be sure to show pics of the mount once its done. Congrats!

13-Jan-09
Wow great story and thanks for sharing. Congrats on the big cat

13-Jan-09
Great story Chris! I have 11 months to wait for my 3rd try.

13-Jan-09
Great story and sweet kitty.HUNT

13-Jan-09
That's a BIG cat Chris! Congrats.

13-Jan-09

Thanks for all the compliments. I always take hundreds of photos on these trips (I have almost 400 from this one) and I always keep a journal so it's not that hard to put the two together here.

I'll try and answer some of the questions, first of all, I had heard how good Lion meat was for so long that I couldn't wait to try it. Byron strongly advised against it. He said he would never eat anything that eats Coyotes and can lick it's own a$$.

As a CITES animal, I could not bring any part of the Cougar back into the States (for now, anyway) but when we arrived back in Edmonton, Jeff was kind enough to put me up for the night before my flight home on Sunday morning and he was also kind enough (with some trepidation) to throw some backstrap cutlets on the grill. It was like eating a tough pork chop, the taste was very mild but my jaw got a bit of a workout.

Gear wise, I switched to a whisker biskit and feathers so I kept my arrows in a light plastic map tube strapped to my pack, along with my bow. I also brought my hiking poles, which were very helpful on the steep, snowy slopes. For clothing, I used a light weight Merino Wool base layer and my Sitka 90% pants, with my Han-Wag Alaskan GTX boots and Kenetrek Gaiters (the gaiters are a must). I wore a mid-weight wool sweater and a light wind stopper vest, a ball cap and light poly glove liners. That was all I wore while hiking.

Of course, for snowmobiling around in sub zero temps I also had some heavy, cold weather hats, gloves and pants/parka. That was it.

The best part of the whole experience was how much fun this hunt was. Like I said, I did a Cougar hunt before and all I basically did was sat in a pick-up for 10 days while the guide ski-doo'd around the mountains and looked for a track that he never found.

But with the fantastic country and the way Byron runs his hunts, I was right there enjoying every twist and turn on this one. It was really quite an adventure and I'd do it again tomorrow if I could. Plus, I think a mature Mountain Lion is the coolest animal on this continent. It really was an amazing hunt in some awesome country with great people that knew exactly what they were doing. What more could a guy ask for?

13-Jan-09
Chris I have often thought of hunting for mountain lion some day but there is only one thing that I am not sure about and I keep asking myself is it really fare to hunt these magnificent animals with dogs.I am not an activist in any way. And I definitely respect the hard work that you put into shooting this awesome cat.Have you ever asked yourself this question I am just curious as to what your thoughts are

13-Jan-09
Is it fair??? Is hunting one with a gun fair? Bow? Spear? Hunting cats behind dogs may not be for everyone, but I think you'd be hard pressed to shoot one "spot and stalk". Since shooting one is usually the goal, I think any other method short of dogs or baits with regard to mountain lions would be considered "hiking".

14-Jan-09
Hunterhutch Just how are you going to hunt cougar in this terrain and weather? Baiting? (unethical also) Spot and stalk? Maybe track? Call? (Might end up as bait here)

14-Jan-09
This cat gave them the slip a couple of times and it took them three days of chasing to finally catch him. Even when hunting with the best dogs, hound hunting is never a "sure thing".

14-Jan-09
Chris, I talked with Byron several times three years ago. As circumstances went I did not get to put a hunt together with him. I was curious how far in advance you had to book the hunt... and were you placed on a waiting list for available openings? Thanks for your time and Congratulations on an exceptional cat!

14-Jan-09
st8...I talked to Byron a couple weeks ago and he did have one opening for next year and a couple openings for the following year. I think historically he is booked a couple years out.

14-Jan-09
Kota-man,

I am going with LeRoy at Sunrise from 1/26-31. I can't freakin wait. When are you going?

Shiras

Oh, and I obviously have no problem with using dogs. It is far from a sure thing. People use dogs for bird hunting all the time.

14-Jan-09
You guys definitely have some good points I never hunted these big cats before and I guess its almost imposable to hunt them without the dogs not saying that it couldn't be done though

14-Jan-09
Shiras...I pm'd you.

14-Jan-09
Greenie- Awesome hunt, and as usual, great story! I know you were dialed into this one for some time. Good to see you got it done.

Congrats, buddy.

PS. The pig hunt needs to be postponed until 1st week in March. There will be no pigs on the ranch before then..........

14-Jan-09

Hutch, good question on the "fairness" of hound hunting. Yea, I did think about it and I guess it's obvious which way I went. Is it "fair" that these awesome, efficient predators mow down fawns at will who have no claws/fangs to fight back? I really don't think it's about fairness, it's just the natural order. We are at the top of the food chain for a reason so why struggle with it?

Of course, it is much different from traditional spot/stalk or treestand bowhunting and to a very large extent, you are just a spectator. You may help with the dogs, help with the gear and do a big hike, but let's face it, the dogs are the real hunters in this game and everyone knows it.

But what's wrong with being a spectator in a real life drama? It was like watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs, one round at a time, as each team gets eliminated and your favorite team finally makes the finals. The difference in this game is, you have to take the penalty shot in overtime of game 7 to win it all. It's really an awesome mix of observation and then the rush of getting thrown in at the apex of the excitement.

I originally contacted Byron early in '07 and he told me he was booked for a couple years. Then someone canceled so I took the spot for Jan of 08. Then I had to cancel due to a death in the family and postponed till this year. I have a buddy that wants to hunt with Byron asap and when I asked him if he had any spots for next season he said "possibly" (he's good like that).

Ki-Ke, are you coming hog hunting with us this year?

19-Jan-09
I'm with T-n-T in 2009 and can't wait! You really got me fired up for this hunt!!!Thats an awesome lion. Are you going with Phil Soucy or someone else?

19-Jan-09
When I tell people I have hunted Cougars with dogs. Alot of people say "oh thats unfair." But then I say, "have you ever tried it." Exactly my point.

I dont think you will ever find someone who has been on a cat hunt with dogs come back and say that it was lame and unfair to the cat.

Cougars are awesome animals and hunting them is a incredable experience.

Despite having awesome dogs. You dont always catch a cat. You cant just go out and catch a lion everytime. There is no guarantee you can catch one. Despite using dogs, you have to find a fresh track, the dogs have to tree the lion. Often times the lion will out smart the dogs, or go up into rocks or areas dogs cant go, or just simply not tree. Sometimes you find a great track but never even catch up to the cat because he walked so far the night before. (They are called Longwalkers for a reason). They have been shown to cover 30 miles over night. Truely amazing in my opinion.

Have you ever seen a house cat and the attitude that they have. They think they are better than anything in the world. Same attitute as lions. I feel that they will sometimes tree not because they are scared but because they are annoyed by the dogs following them.

Go out and buy the book Longwalkers. It is a great book on hunting cats.

Lion hunting is just as important as deer or elk hunting. On an average a lion will make a kill every 6 days. How many lions are out there? Typically when I go out with my buddy we will often come across 3-4 different lion tracks within a mile area. There are alot more lions out there than you really think. Because they are so secretive and hardly ever seen, the general public just thinks they are rare.

Do the math, thats a lot of deer, elk, and sheep etc getting killed a year but cats. I have a friend who studied them and he found one male who would kill a deer or sheep every day. The big cat would only eat the liver and leave the rest. Not typical but pretty amazing.

Bottom line is that although you might not ever hunt with dogs we need to back each other up and stand up for our hunting rights. Houndsmen are a dying breed. In my opinion hunting with dogs is the next thing on the list of banned practices. Antis are targeting it because not too many people do it. Whats next to get banned after that...Bowhunting?

They banned lion hunting in California because Anit's were upset with hunters killing cats. Now California has so many problem lions that the Division of Wildlife is killing double the amount of cats that hunters ever did because of the problem cats. Is that Fair?

19-Jan-09
Busta- I am surprised that Byron doesnt eat lions. I dont know a houndsmen who doesnt love eating them. Many are they good.

In my expereince with eating them they have always been very tender. Very similar to pork. In all honesty it is my favorite wild game to eat over elk, antelope, etc. For most people getting over the whole eating "cat" thing is the big part.

19-Jan-09
I'm sorry I have not been to this link for a few weeks. What a great story!! and Congratulations!!!!

i chased cats and dogs for over 20 days until i got one. I fail to see any problem with using dogs. It is legal. It is not a slam dunk and my hunt was some of the most difficult hiking I've ever done.

By the way --- GREAT PICTURES!!!

19-Jan-09
Chris you even got to see some sheep awesome im happy for u... Its a different type of hunt i myself would love to chase the cats with dogs it has got to be a blast.plus killing this beast makes life a lot easier for the local aniimals , deer elk sheep..louis

19-Jan-09
Chris you even got to see some sheep awesome im happy for u... Its a different type of hunt i myself would love to chase the cats with dogs it has got to be a blast.plus killing this beast makes life a lot easier for the local aniimals , deer elk sheep..louis

20-Jan-09

Mike, you are in for a special experience. I can't wait to go back someday. I honestly thought that once I killed a decent Tom I'd be through with cat hunting but after this trip with Byron, I'd go again in an instant.

Although Byron and his crew strongly suggested that I use Phil Soucy and many would consider it heresy to suggest that someone else could do a better job (or even as good) as a Phil Soucy Lion mount, I am using another taxidermist who I have 100% confidence in.

I think Byron caught up with another good one today. Here's a shot of another one he caught before I went up there. Look how fat this things tail is, it reminds me of Lexington Steele, its outrageous.

28-Jan-09
Fantastic Chris: Great story and success! Great post!!! Charlie

28-Jan-09

Thanks Charlie. If I could only find a decent place to hunt Whitetails now I'd be all set!

Here is the cat Byron caught after I left. I think this was a day 2 cat for the lucky hunter.

30-Jan-09
Awesome! Show us pix of your cat when you get it back.

08-Feb-09
What a great hunt, cat, and story Chris! I can't wait to try one of these hunts. The dog work must have been a blast to watch. Thanks, Elliott

11-Apr-09
Thats an awesome cat, congrats, with a bow to boot!

Sounds like it couldnt have unfolded any better, certainly helps when you're hunting with one of the best. Nothing better than getting to witness the work thats involved and the rollercoaster of events that need to go right to make a tree with something in it.

05-Jan-10

Looks like Byron and crew are off to another good start this season.

• Sitka Gear