Tradman & Huntress 20-Jan-06
Keith in Colo. 20-Jan-06
Thunderflight@work 20-Jan-06
Jerry * 21-Jan-06
Jack in WV 29-Jan-06
BSODS 29-Jan-06
Neb_Bowhuntin' 22-Dec-06
20-Jan-06
Are hogs color blind? I have to wear blaze orange where I'm going to hunt, I hate it but no choice

20-Jan-06
hogs don't notice color just movement!! thier noses are their biggest weapon!!

good luck!!

20-Jan-06
Jack- contrary to popular belief, hogs have very good vision in daylight. In addition to the experience we have in hunting hogs, I'd like to add a few comments about their anatomy (prior to pursuing hog hunting as a career I was involved in several medical studies utilizing hogs as a model). A hog's eye is very similar to a human's, so similar in fact that they are used as research models for many surgical and medical studies involving the human eye. A hog's eye has similar size, structure and cone to rod ratio as a human eye. As you may already know, it's the photoreceptors known as rods and cones in the eye that determine the degree of night vision and ability to see in color, with cones being responsible for color vision. While hogs don't have a macula (which is primarily dominate by cones), they do have an area of cones that mirrors the macula anatomically. Since a hog has basically the same rod to cone ration of a human, you can then deduct that their vision would approximate that of a human. While they can see in color, their vision is diminished after dark. I'd like to add that as mentioned above hogs will detect any amount of movement, and they have olfactory senses seven time greater then that of a whitetail. Make sure to keep the wind in your favor and if at all possible, remain concealed behind some brush. Hope this helps!

-Cheryl Napper/Shiloh Ranch Hunting Camp

20-Jan-06
Wow Cheryl, that is awesome info THANKS!

20-Jan-06
Dang, ya learn something new every day.

21-Jan-06
Excellent stuff there Cheryl! TY

29-Jan-06
Thanks Cheryl I haven't been on here in a while but checked back in. I have hunted hogs several times and told people that they see better than what is written about them. I,m hunting a place that requires blaze orange even when bowhunting and will let you know how it turns out. Deer just wish they had a nose as good as hogs :)

Thanks Jack

29-Jan-06
Dang, Cheryl, wouldn't it have been simpler to just say 'Hogs see color about the same as we do, and see about the same as we do at night'? Or a simple 'No' would have shortened it even more. :P Actually, I'll be using that information you passed on when I get those questions at work, and it will make me look smarter than I am. BSODS

22-Dec-06
TTT

• Sitka Gear