midwest 22-Feb-24
Highlife 22-Feb-24
fuzzy 22-Feb-24
Scar Finga 22-Feb-24
Pat Lefemine 22-Feb-24
08-Mar-10

Ken Moody's embedded Photo
Ken Moody's embedded Photo
Hope everyone made it home safely. Since we had three clients that still had not tagged out we are continuing the hunt today. At this time Nancy and Jake still haven't drawn blood but Jim Brooks killed the best hog of the hunt (so far) this morning. This toothsome boar treed the guides and cut two of the dogs. It came after Jim but he fell down and cut his head and stratched his eye. This proved to be a useful tactic as the boar just ran past him and left him alone :^) The european/russian boar we are hunting are certainly much more "difficult" then there feral cousins. Here's a photo of Jim's nice Russian Boar.

Ken Moody

08-Mar-10
Jake must have left the horseshoe at home! LOL

08-Mar-10
Ken, thats the one we rN sATURDAY MORNING i AM BETTING. No way to hold him on a bay.

Holly Sheets what tusks!!!!

08-Mar-10
Yea, this boar was all business and wasted no time fighting the dogs. Johnny first took Nancy in to try and get her a shot but once this boar started throwing the dogs around and treeing the guides, he took her out and brought in Jim who killed it. Bobby (guide) was in a tree and literally kicking at this beast to keep him off of his leg.

Ken Moody

08-Mar-10
Bobby in a tree. Remarkable in a couple ways.

Second growth timber rarely has trees to hold a man that size.

The boy is cat-quick, bull-strong, and fearless.

If he treed, the scat was hittin' the fan.

08-Mar-10
I thought that picture was fuzzy doing his best hog impression. Upon closer inspection the hog isn't as ugly.

08-Mar-10
Holy crap!! Ken, thanks for a great hunt and great memories of my sons first bowkill. We both had a great time,, although Friday night in a bit hazy,, LOL Jay

09-Mar-10
The longest MHH in history concluded yesterday afternoon as both Jake and Nancy got their boar and ended an event that began last Wednesday. We did though. Every client bagged a boar and now, finally, the dogs can rest for a few days before we crank it up again. We at Clarkrange appreciate your patronage and hope to see all of you again next year.

Ken Moody

09-Mar-10
Nancy got one?! Cool! "glad she didn't @$%^& up"! ;-)

Way cool! I cvertainly hope we will see more pics, and I really want the first-timer's stories!

09-Mar-10
Great news, Ken. The hogs did EVERYTHING they could to stretch our consumer dollar. That's for sure. lol Johnny and the guides were top notch and worked extra hard this year.

Glad Jim, et al are ok. That hog has some serious cutters.

Can't wait to see and read Jake's report of his and Nancy's successful hunts.

My experience this year just confirms a hog hunt at Clarkrange is a must do, IMO.

09-Mar-10
Glad to hear they both connected. Ken and his gang did a great job seeing that everyone got a pig. My thanks to Roger for keeping this hunt going. This was my first time but I will be back. Had a great time and met a lot of great guys and gals.

09-Mar-10
I'm glad to hear that everyone bagged a hog and that the dogs are resting. Did the pit get his ear fixed up? That guy was one heroic animal.. So did Jake have to break out his horseshoe in order to get it done?

I thank everyone for the great time my son and I had. The guides were great, Elmer looked like he was going to pop going with me after my hog. CAT did an awesome job with the food, and I can't say enough about the folks who came. Just top notch all around.

On an admin note,, hey Rog,, where's my f@#!I%g tee shirts!!! LOL

Jay

09-Mar-10
Hey Pat... nice job... whats up with the Aluminums??

2216's? tell me you bought 8 doz and your not happy with them... then I'll PM you my address...

09-Mar-10
No you don't have to use dogs...but you'll miss all the fun if you don't.

09-Mar-10
I did score a "10" on the fall :)

09-Mar-10
Yes Jim, even the "Russian" judge gave you a 10:)

10-Mar-10
Looks like fun but I'm not sure hunting with dogs would be my cup of tea. I think all the barking would drive me up the wall. Still, would love to give it a try someday.

10-Mar-10
Good Job Jim and Nancy!

And thanks again Ken and Crew!

10-Mar-10
James - check your pm. Camera was found and shipped to your address.

11-Mar-10
Trad Tech, Thank's. Johnny called me and told me he found it and would ship it to me. What a stand up guy. Speaking of stand up guys (and gals), everybody I met was very friendly and made this newbie feel welcome. Thanks all for a great weekend!

11-Mar-10
JTV, I believe that on this hunt at least 5 hogs were taken "dogless", and I have taken one at a C.R. MHH hog dogless. That said, if you have never hunted hogs with hounds, PLEASE do not deny yourself the experience.

Some 10 or more millenia ago, man partnered with Canis for just this type of endeavor. To utilize the strongest of each species' assets, in an inter-species partnership, in order to make meat on large, aggressive, dangerous game.

Bowhunting boar with hounds and bow/knife/spear allows us to experience a type of hunt that might have occurred during the last Ice Age, and little differs whether the dogs have pedigree papers in the Ford-driving, Carrharrt-wearing, Kershaw-carrying owner's file-cabinet, or have mothers still running in a wild pack which shadows the skin-clad hunter's camp for the gnawed leavings and gutpiles, after the well-fed "Team Homo-Canis" has moved on with the herds.

11-Mar-10
Fuzzy,

You sure can pait a picture with words. BTW have you any of these "hiounds" as I'm always intrested in new breeds;>

11-Mar-10
Dave...shut up. If you don't know how, ask Bob ;-)

btw, thanks for the beer ;-)

11-Mar-10
He and I got in alittle trouble eh? lol

11-Mar-10
A big thanks to all who attended MHH13, guides and Ken for the very warm welcome to a stranger. This was my first big game hunt and it exceeded all my expectation. In one word 'AWESOME'. All you guys and girls don't appreciate the wonderful county you have there in the USA (for hunting). Thanks particularly to Pat and the guide, Bobby. Hunting with hounds is so thrilling that as soon as I hear a dog bark my heart starts pumping all over again. I hope to come back next year, God willing. Looking at the video replay Pat, I still think it was a bit of a fluke shot, I was aiming at another tree!!!!!

11-Mar-10
It was a pleasure seeing and catching up with old friends and great to visit with new. Looking forward to next year....Way to go Nancy! Don, I hope you do make it next year. Jake and Brad, it was nice meeting you guys. Ken outdid himself this year, (god I hate saying that.) Johnny as always was outstanding.

12-Mar-10
"Ken outdid himself this year"

I agree, and it was great to see him in camp more. He has a great sense of humor, and can really read what's going on with the hounds & hogs ;-)

12-Mar-10
'Jim's nice Russian Boar'. What a set of tusks, well done it appears to be worthwhile taking your time Jim. Nancy - I knew that you could do it. I forgot to mention my two young hunting partners, Justine and Mark, great to hunt with such great young people who enjoy their sport.

12-Mar-10
"Dave...shut up. If you don't know how, ask Bob ;-) "

"He and I got in alittle trouble eh? lol "

What did I do?

13-Mar-10
Pat,

Was that the "World's Greatest Tracker" in this video? If so he's come a long way.

Congrats.

LBB

13-Mar-10
Bob I'm thinking our deep late night discussions on the world in general. Altho we did have help and it was funny seeing our comrads in arms trying to chase pigs in the morning. LOL

22-Apr-10
Bob, you didn't do nothin', just yankin ya!

man wish it was March again!

30-Apr-10
Has anyone shot a bow using their feet to brace the bow and pull the string with both hands. I remember seeing a picture of Asia indian doing this practise to kill an Elephant with a 150lb bow. Pat Lefemine might be interested in this technique when he goes hunting in Africa this summer!

21-Feb-24
Haven't been here for 14 years based on 2010 threads. For any of the original members of the MHH, Johnny passed when all of the covid mandates were set in place. God rest his soul. After Clarkrange he took over Standing Rock which was 10-15 miles from Clarkrange. I had the opportunity to hunt again with Johnny pre covid. We had plans for me to come back down but he didn't make it after being admitted to the hospital. The MHH was a huge part of my life organizing and participating. Johnny is missed by many. Just wanted to touch base as I found this thread bouncing around Bowsite. I hope one day to be a contributor to the site again. Cheers all!

21-Feb-24
Hi Roger. Miss ya big guy

21-Feb-24
wow

22-Feb-24
I remember all those fun hunt stories. RIP Johnny.

22-Feb-24
Johnny was one of the good guys RIP

22-Feb-24
He sure was. I got to hunt with him 3 times at Standing Rock before he passed. Sure miss him

22-Feb-24
Sad to hear that!!!

Welcome back Trad!!

22-Feb-24
Hey Roger, it’s good to see your handle here again. It’s been a long time, hope you’re doing well.

• Sitka Gear