llamapacker 03-May-14
BULELK1 03-May-14
BULELK1 03-May-14
Ryman Cat 03-May-14
BULELK1 05-May-14
BULELK1 31-May-14
BULELK1 29-Aug-14
01-May-14
I just found out that I drew WY unit 2 bison tag.

I am starting to gather information, but I am starting from scratch. Does anyone have any information they could offer on making the most of this tag and doing it with a bow?

I see that the season opens in Aug, but doesn't say when it closes.

I would like to diy , but I'm not opposed to hiring an outfitter if it is necessary.

Thanks,

Gene

01-May-14
My buddy in Sheridan, WY also drew the 002-1 tag!

01-May-14
I drew 002-4 as a nonresident.

01-May-14
Mine is 002-1 tag, nonresident

01-May-14
I also drew 002-4 (finally outguessed everyone)!

I am interested in teaming up to share info etc. I have a female tag so no conflict with bull hunters. I am very experienced in hunting and in great shape, ready to hunt cold weather too.

01-May-14
Drew same tag Don. Not to burst your bubble, but looking at draw odds, all non-residents who put it for the female tag drew (41 apps, 45 quota) They must have increased tags. I am already in research mode, reaching out to contacts I have in WY and a buddy that work on the oil rigs out there for about 4 years. Looking into the best time to go, best areas, etc.

01-May-14
I know odds, will NOT be the same next year! First year always the best, everyone fears change. 3% odds at bull!

1/2 price! Same hunt less work packing! I cannot eat that much anyway!

I will draw a WY lop tag too.

02-May-14
They have had cow tags for years---this is not the first year for cow tags......always 100% via the Priority list tag allocations.....

Anyway_________________________

You guys will get mailings from Tag-n-Drag to guide ya or to get your buff out. $1,500----$2,000.00

Heads-Up they take it out Whole yeh Whole and to the meat processor.

$1,200.00 for the skin and cut-n-wrap/frozen cost at the meat processor.

You can donate the meat but ya still have to pay for the meat processing....

My wife and I boned mine off and packed it out ourselves.

4- 150 quart coolers filled!! haha

I took it to my guy here in town to butcher @.50 cents a lb.

When you guys get your NER hunt week dates, feel free to touch base with me as I am up in JH a lot.

A great campground is the Gros Ventre Campground north end outside of the NER.

The buff access the NER via this area----ya can't hunt 'em along there though as it is in Grand Teton Park but you can have a weapon in camp......

They do allow bow hunting on the NER now so enjoy that!

Good luck, Robb

02-May-14
$1,500 - $2,000 yikes! Time to up the training!

I plan to do it myself, hopefully weather is such I will cool meat and drive straight home with it on ice to my butcher here.

02-May-14
Ya got NO clue dude-----

Like that is a surprise-----

What are your NER dates??

Good luck, Robb

02-May-14
FYI, If Don says he's gonna pack a buffalo out he's not kidding. In fact he'll probably do it in two trips...... ;)

02-May-14
So sorry for the confusion--

NER is National Elk Refuge where you tag holders will get 1 week to hunt, as they issue your date week.

Sure you can hunt the FS (forest ground) during anytime frame but where you guys are coming from way out east-----that week will most prolly be your ticket to success......

I am answering your PM's for sure---

Good luck, Robb

02-May-14
I've had 2 Cow Buffalo butchered (both right near 900-1000#s live). 1 in Tx & 1 in Ok. & cost was $100 skinning, $300 cut, wrap, frozen. We had a low trailer with a whench on it that we were able to get to the Buff & pull them in after gutting. Cost of Last one was 3 years ago. If you are not allowed some type vehicle into area I'd make arrangements for Horses & if that's not allowed, your gonna be a very long time hauling. Find out the REGULATIONS for recovery. Meat is delicious for sure.

If they get $1200 for skin & processing I'd check processing places out ahead of time..

02-May-14
Robb, They don't have a clue what there in for...lol

03-May-14
I do agree some don't understand this hunt from the posts above. Robb certainly does. I hunted this last year (my wifes bull tag) and she got a cow tag now this year. I wonder if everyone realizes that if you draw a cow tag first, you are ineligible to apply for a bull tag in the future? Strange, but true. Check the regs. This is a highly regulated hunt. Even on the National Forest you can expect more oversight than imaginable. Park Rangers keep a close eye on things, and some of the Feds love to make trouble for hunters. Others are reasonable, as always. There are lots of tourists in the area early. Cow tags are much harder to fill than bull tags, and cow hunting success is not that high overall. There is essentially no vehicle access off designated roads. The odds of dropping a bison near a road is low. 300-400 yards off the road is very lucky. I did use tag N Drag last year to pull my wife's bull to the nearest road with their draft horses. I butchered and loaded it into my truck from there. Plenty of work, but it can be done. I even did the cut and wrap at home, but was able to hang the meat in freezing temps while I worked. It is a big job even if you are experienced. (I do 15-25 elk/deer/antelope per year.) This is a fun hunt, but it isn't easy. Of course anyone can luck into one standing beside the road on occasion, but don't count on it. Bill

03-May-14
Hey Shane how are ya!

Thanks for chiming in Bill, nothing beats current experience! glad your Mrs drew out again and at $1k instead of $2,500! ha

They are WAY strict and ya can't hunt any Dept. of Interior ground so get a damn good map! You can't cut across the Teton Park ground to the FS ground with a weapon or they will burn ya big time, know the park boundaries and FS ground boundary and hunt at least 1/4 mile from/away from it as it can be a floating boundary on two different GPS's--theirs and yours! ha

You can drive for retrieval in the NER (until the snow closes them) but you have to park way below in designated parking area's. It is not uncommon to put 10--12 miles round trip hiking in the NER and see squat! ha

I was hoping 'Turk' would jump on board as he too hunted last year. We just missed each other and it was -27 and finally warmed up to -13 by the end of that Dec. week.

I am being asked when they send out the Pakcets with the individual NER hunt week dates and all the other rules ect-----isn't it in mid-June?

Good luck, Robb

03-May-14

BULELK1's Link
See my link above for a very informative buff sexing/scoring type course.....

Some of those 2-3 year old bulls sure look like a cow buff!

Unless ya can get a rear---view and see the 'boys hangin'' they are tough to determine.

Good luck, Robb

03-May-14
Don't mistake this the wrong way but this sounds to me more like smoke pole than bow dropping by roads and such? LOL

Just reading through all this is educational as well as any one with an open mind can plainly see whats possibly involved and then some.

A lot of good info from guys with the knowledge and that should not be taken lightly and you better listen otherwise your in for a lot of misery rather than fun.

Just my 2 cents.Good luck though I envy you guys who can do this.You are doing it.

05-May-14

BULELK1's Link
See my link above for some lodging options.

There are 4 different places to choose from just from this link.

Some guys stay out at Flat Creek hotel right across from the NER but that is on a different link.

Good luck, Robb

31-May-14

BULELK1's Link
Well, I thought I posted this JH viewing link but I guess I didn't....

So sorry fella's as you can scroll down the 'left side' and see many, many views of JH and the NER....

Very 'minute up to date' for sure....

Enjoy you Buff hunters!

Any of ya get your Packet and NER week dates yet?

Good luck, Robb

29-Aug-14
I'll be damned! haha

My niece is hunting Bull Buff on the NER week of Dec. 7th....

How did you guys do on your NER hunt dates?

Enjoy for sure,

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear