Mudslinger 31-Jul-12
Wages 31-Jul-12
John Haeberle 31-Jul-12
Quinn @work 31-Jul-12
BIGHORN 01-Aug-12
huntmaster 01-Aug-12
bearcountry953 01-Aug-12
31-Jul-12
For those of you that have Zebra pedestal mounts, I was curious how most non-hunters and women react to them? Women and non-hunters sometimes wrinkle their noses at mounts in general, but often like certain items like bear skin rugs. Does the pedestal make them seem more "zebra like", so that non-hunters are more put-off that you shot a "zoo" animal, then say a Zebra rug might make them react? I would be especially interested to hear from those that may have both a Zebra run and a pedestal, perhaps in different areas so that different people might see one or the other first (and how their reactions might differ).

I know there are some that will want to say that they don't care how anyone else responds to their mounts. I appreciate that, but that would not add anything to the question at hand, so please save those responses.

31-Jul-12
I can only say that I have a zebra rug and my wife thinks it is the coolest thing in my game room. My Mom and several other women have made comments that they want one. Persoanlly, if I shoot another zebra I will get a shoulder mount done. I think they are neater than the rug.

31-Jul-12
Zebra rug here next time a pedestal

31-Jul-12
Same here as Bowhunner....I have about 40 mounts and my wife who is a non hunter says the zebra rug is her favorite.

31-Jul-12
Zebra rug here. Pedestal on the next one. My MIL did not like my trophy room and actually thought the Euro I have of my 345" 6x7 bull elk in the entry to the right of my front door was gross. She is my wife's Dad's second marriage after her mother died and if he had not been here, I would have run her out of the house. I would have done a pedestal on this zebra, but I shot a mare and there were zero cuts or marks on her so everyone said to do the rug and kill a stallion next and do a pedestal on him as he is likely to be marked from fighting.

31-Jul-12

Wages's embedded Photo
Wages's embedded Photo
I don't have much to add, other than to say that I was never big on the idea of shooting a zebra until going to Africa. Now it's at the top of the list.

One of the mounts I saw was a pedestal with the chin tucked in a "chess piece" pose, similar to this picture.

I think I might like to have one done like that.

31-Jul-12
The pedestal mounts look great ... but too horse-like for me. What can I say? I like horses. It'd be like having a coyote mounted in a begging pose and positioned by the dinner table.

31-Jul-12
Most Non hunters that come into our house don't know what they're looking at when they look at the kudu, impala, wildebeest, etc. For all they know or care it was shot in somewhere in CO. When they see the Zebra pedestal they know it came from Africa and it always generates a conversation. Kids love it and always have a ton of interesting questions.

I was fortunate enough to shoot a big kudu but it gets overlooked due to Zebra pedestal. Glad I went with the pedestal. Next time I'll do a rug.

My wife told me I better not shoot a zebra or else.....well now she may not admit it but it's her favorite mount in our house.

01-Aug-12

BIGHORN's embedded Photo
BIGHORN's embedded Photo
Here is mine. I made the pedestal myself. There are better pictures but I can't find them at this time.

01-Aug-12

huntmaster's embedded Photo
huntmaster's embedded Photo
I have only had my pedestal for a short time now, but every hunter or non-hunter who has seen a picture of it so far has reacted in a positive way.

Some people aren't sure about hunting a zebra because it's a horse, but I can tell you it was one of the more difficult animals for me to connect with. Very much a challenge.

01-Aug-12

bearcountry953's embedded Photo
bearcountry953's embedded Photo
I have a lot of mounts African and North American. I had a pedestal done of the "Zebra I would never shoot". It is by far the most talked about mount I own hunters, non-hunters,kids,horse lovers and everyone else. Last year I had my Waterbuck done as a pedestal and moved the Zebra from the prime focus point, it still gets talked about more than any other. My wife wants to put it in the living room but I do not want to separate from my other trophies.

• Sitka Gear