bearhunter 12-Nov-13
Bear Track 12-Nov-13
bearhunter 12-Nov-13
StickFlicker 13-Nov-13
Drahthaar 13-Nov-13
06-Jan-13

bearhunter's embedded Photo
In August of 2012 we returned to Africa. In 2007 we had spent 10 days at Tshepe Safaris taking Zebra, kudu , gemsbok , impala , Nyala , Black Wilderbeast and warthog. This time we would go back to Tshepe for 5 days. After this we would join up with 9 other friends for a 10 day hunt at Chattaronga safaris, then of to Kruger Park for 3 days.

06-Jan-13

The goal at Tshepe was to try for Blesbok, Springbok as there were none of this species at Chattaronga and Red Hartebeast as there were very few at Chattaronga

06-Jan-13

The weather was cold at Tshepe and although there were plenty of Blesbok around they just would not come to drink. On day 3 we were able to connect on this nice ram.

06-Jan-13

We saw Springbok most days but only this group of females and young came to water.

06-Jan-13

We did see Red hartebeast at the blinds several time but they just didn’t come into shooting range. Here are some eland as the sun was going down.

06-Jan-13

Sitting around the fire after a hard day's hunting.

06-Jan-13

One evening Mynhardt who was one of our PH’s in 07 came by for supper. It was good to see him again as we had kept in contact over the years via email and face book.

06-Jan-13

I wanted a Eland but was holding of at Tshepe because I knew there were plenty at Chattaronga. We had been watching this nice eland all week and on the last evening with no Red hartebeast or Springbok coming in I decided to take him.

06-Jan-13

Cobus and his family came out to help load.

06-Jan-13

The next day Cobus took us to JB were we met up with the other members of our group and took the 1 hr flight to Pokona where we were met by some ph’s from Chattaronga.

06-Jan-13

Our first morning out we had this huge herd of Blue wilderbeast come in. We picked out the biggest bull and waited for a good shot.

06-Jan-13

He would always be facing us, or another animal behind him but after 2 hours and having drawn on him several times he finally presented me with a 15 yard broadside shot and we watched him go down at about 60 yards.

06-Jan-13

One day 2 I was able to harvest this Baboon with a 40 yd shot. These are one crafty animal. The smaller ones would come in and grab a melon then the larger ones would wait at the back and take it from them.

06-Jan-13

One of the blinds at sunset.

06-Jan-13

Day 3 waterbuck

06-Jan-13

Several species at one of the blinds

06-Jan-13

Day 4 impala

06-Jan-13

The elevated blinds were great with lots of room and viewing window so my wife could really see what was happening as well. They had the bottoms of the blinds lined with cement to stop the floor from creaking.

06-Jan-13

06-Jan-13

I had told my ph Neels that I would like to get a Red Hartebeast. There were very few on the property but there were a couple blinds where he had seen them before. He put out a couple trail cameras at different locations but got no photos of them. Just as we were leaving the stand one evening I looked out the back and there they were 2 nice bulls. It was getting late in the day but luckily one came in right away and I was able to get a good shot on him. We watched him go down . I think my Ph was more excited than I was. It was the first Red Hartebeast he had taken for a client. Philip also said as far as he can remember this was the first on taken with a bow on the property.

06-Jan-13

Zebra and other species at a water hole

06-Jan-13

My regular hunting buddy had taken a cross bow that his wife was going to try and shoot a giraffe with. Before we left on the trip I had discussed borrowing it to take a couple animals with once she got her giraffe. Since I had taken a Zebra with the bow on our 07 trip I decided to try for one with the crossbow. This was another first for our Ph as he had never seen an animal taken with a crossbow before. He was very impressed with its performance.

06-Jan-13

We had been having these Sable come in on a regular bases all week but decided to try find a larger one. We did find a couple more but nothing larger.

06-Jan-13

On day 9 we headed back to the sable blind in the morning to try for one of the ones we had been seeing all week. They came in but we were unable to get a shot. We headed back to came for lunch. My wife who had hunted with me all week did not go in the morning, opting out to go to the spa. When we got back for lunch she was already finished so decided to come on the afternoon hunt. Later in the afternoon they came in again and after a while I was able to make a good shot on one. He only went about 70 yards.

06-Jan-13

Shepard our chef giving us the run down on the evenings menu. Food was great.

06-Jan-13

Well stocked bar at Chattaronga

06-Jan-13

One our last day I decided to take the crossbow again and harvested this Diker.

06-Jan-13

Next day we left for our 3 day tour of Kruger park. Our ph’s were our guides for the tour which was good because we already knew them.

06-Jan-13

We saw plenty of elephants.

06-Jan-13

We were glad to be in air conditioned vehicals as the temperatures were very high , hitting 38 celesus on one day. The weather at Chattaronga was much warmer than it was at Tshepe.

06-Jan-13

We could only get out of the vehicals on bridges. Most of the rivers were dried up like this one.

06-Jan-13

In this photo if you can see it there is croc in the water and a Nyala on the bank. Everyone was hoping the Nyala would venture closer to the water so we could see the croc in action.

06-Jan-13

We visited the museum of the magnificent 7

06-Jan-13

06-Jan-13

We came upon this leopard in a tree . He looked like he was out of breath and after glassing a little we could see a warthog on a branch just above him. He must have killed it just before we got there.

06-Jan-13

06-Jan-13

We saw lots of Impala in the park

06-Jan-13
On our last morning we came across this male lion.

06-Jan-13
Wow Thank you for sharing! rc

06-Jan-13

06-Jan-13

Our group including 4 of the Ph’s. Once again We would like to thank Neil from Bowhunting Safari Consultants for setting up this trip for us.

06-Jan-13
Bearhunter, Great photos and some very nice trophies! Thanks for taking the time to share your expereince with us....I love hunting Africa, and we can't wait to get back. Folks that say they aren't interested in Africa have no idea what they are missing... We have our 5th trip planned fro August of 2013...

06-Jan-13
Ive never been been but very much enjoyed your photos thanks for sharing

06-Jan-13
Great photos! Thanks for sharing!

07-Jan-13
Thanks for sharing the Chattaronga photos! Going there in Aug/Sep and the photos just make the waiting easier for me.......

07-Jan-13
It would be a bummer to be shooting at an impala and hit a rhino wouldn't it. I imagine the difference in trophy fees would kill the budget for the hunt! LOL

07-Jan-13
Super pictures Bearhunter, looks like you had a target rich environment for sure! Congrats on all the trophies especially that smoker of a Hartebeest!

07-Jan-13
Congratulations on a successful trip. Fortunate to have traveled four times in Afica, can't wait to get back again. Everyone should try to visit Kruger - seen some awesome sights there. Nice animals, thick bases on that Red Hartebeest!

12-Nov-13
Ttt

12-Nov-13
I'm not sure I understand completely. Were all of these photos (at least the hunting photos) taken at Chattaronga or were some taken at Tshepe?

If there were some of both, which one had the animals eating out of the long trough (with hay ("lucern") scattered on the ground around it? Also, what was in that trough? Was that some type of squash?

12-Nov-13
Anything after the chataronga sign photo was taken there. Anything before that was at tshepe. Pretty straightforward I thought.

12-Nov-13

Bear Track's Link
Very nice bearhunter. One day, maybe, my lady and I will get there.

12-Nov-13
Yes some type of squash. The called them punkins. The had grown them to sell at the market but the shipping was more than they were worth so they fed them to the animals. The baboons loved them but the big ones would let the little ones come in and get them then they would steal them from the little guys. I had to shoot my baboon at 40 yds cause they wouldn't come closer. One of the guys shot his at 50.

13-Nov-13
I'm sorry, I missed noticing the Chataronga sign. Thanks.

13-Nov-13
awesome adventure. Forrest

• Sitka Gear