Buffalo1 13-Feb-14
cowboyed 14-Feb-14
kscowboy 17-Feb-14
AZ~Rich 17-Feb-14
Ken Moody 17-Feb-14
Ken Moody 17-Feb-14
sask_archer 17-Feb-14
05-Apr-13
I am scheduled for a plains game hunt in Namibia at the beginning of August. I promised myself that I wouldn't bring back anything. However, as time passes and I think more about it, I'm starting to weaken.

I have limited wall space. If I'm successful in taking the animals, I'm thinking about doing European mounts of gemsbok, kudu and warthog.

From the little that I know, I am guessing that a CITES permit wouldn't be required. Is that correct?

How expensive is shipping?

I've heard that it is a lot less expensive to have the work done over there. It wouldn't seem like quality would be the same issue as it would be with mounts using the capes. Is that a fair assessment?

05-Apr-13
No cites permit for those animals is needed. Also I would think you would be ok having that taxidermy work done there as long as it is no full head mounts. I also would think it would be easy to clear them yourself since they would be finished mounts, which would save you some money too.

The shipping will depend on size of the crate, air or sea freight. As far as an exact cost I really could not give you an accurate number. I have never had a crate that small.

I bet some of the others guys on here can give you a better idea.

05-Apr-13
Mtgoat,

No CITES permit required but you will need a CDC permit for any swine and primate parts that you intend to bring back. Warthogs, baboons, monkeys etc..., need to be packaged separately and labeled as to their contents for USDA/venterinary inspection back in the USA. A reputable dip & pack service will know this and prepare your trophies accordingly. It is not necessary to send a separate crate for these trophies. They can be included all in one crate as long as they are packed separately...CDC permits usually cost about $50 each and should easlity be available to you from your outfitter. I would notify them before your hunt if you intend to bring home any of the aforementioned trophies.

I would strongly recommend that you have any trophy parts that you intend to keep dip & packed and then sent home to be completed by a reputable US Taxidermist for several reasons. African taxidermy on average is cheaper, but you are basically at the mercy of their will and if your trophies arrive home mistakes or poor workmanship you are out of luck. Secondly, it is true that you may save 15-30% on the costs, but you will pay for it in shipping home much larger crates with full sized trophies inside.

If you only intend to do Euro mounts, you may be okay with having an African taxidermist do the work. It's hard to screw up skulls and horms for the most part. I would still recommend that you have the capes dip & packed on a few of the more special trophies that you take. You will often regret not mounting a few of the best animals and if you only bring home the horns and skulls, it's too late. Dip & Packers charge by the piece ranging anywhere from $25-75 per piece. For example, a kudu skull and horns just cost me $45 to dip & pack...The full kudu cape cost $35....So, for an extra $35, you can have the cape in your possession and have your taxidermsit tan and store it indefinitely until you are ready to mount it...You can still Euro the skulls & horns to enjoy on your wall, and then take them in if you ever decide to do a full mount. Even if you decide not to mount it, you have a beautiful tanned skin for a rug or throw.... Just a few things to consider...You have lots of options to consider..Hope this helps..

05-Apr-13
While ffh is correct about the approximate price per piece, don't let that fool you. The overall cost of getting them home will be substantial. Even bringing back a very small shipment will be costly, because many of the charges are fixed whether you bring back 4 or 14 trophies. For example, the government fees at each step are the same regardless of the size of the shipment.

I thought I would get by inexpensively this past year by only bringing back 5 animals, most of them just skulls/horns, and it was still a lot. I just received my freight quote today, and was unpleasantly shocked at the cost. While my shipment is from South Africa, I would expect Namibia to only be worse since it's a farther flight.

I brought back: 2 Impala (skulls/horns only, no capes) 1 Gemsbok (horns w/skullplate only, not even a skull) 1 Waterbuck (skull/horns/cape) 1 Warthog (skull/cape)

For these five trophies, of which only two had a cape and one was nothing but a pair of horns, the prices were:

Dip & Pack (includes crating) $840; Int'l Freight $741

I still have to pay for trophy clearing in the US, probably $400 or so, and freight from the port of entry to my state, I'm guessing another few hundred.

So, don't go into it thinking "I'll just bring back a few". It doesn't cost a lot more to bring back several than a few, so I'd either do it or don't. As was said, each additional animal might cost $50-75 and a little more freight, but the rest of the charges are somewhat fixed.

05-Apr-13
Wall space is important. I just hung a Kudu head that sticks out from the wall 3' and is 5' tall. Shoulder mount. A skull mount would obviously be somwaht less.

Talk with a taxidermist that has experience with African trophies. They will suggest a broker for getting them cleared into the US. Or, I hear, you can do it yourself.

I've never tried it, but if you have the skulls completed over there I would think you could import them directly and pick them up yourself. Again, talk to a taxidermist who has African experience.

If I may be so bold as to suggest -- leave yourself some options on just what you want to do. When you walk up on a dead Kudu or Gemsbok you MAY want to change your plans. Talk to a taxidermist with African experience.

Primates do require prior arrangements to import. Swine parts only have to be inspected. No big deal. Did I mention talking to an experienced taxidermist?

Best of luck to you and enjoy your trip.

05-Apr-13
I have all of my African work done Euro style for 5 reasons:

1. I love Euro mounts 2. I have limited wall space in my house 3. Euro mounts done in Africa is less expensive and it allow me to hunt more animals. 4. Crate shipping expense is less because less space is required 5. Euro mounts normally clear customs and other red tape stations fairly easy.

05-Apr-13

BIGHORN's embedded Photo
BIGHORN's embedded Photo
One of my favorites is my zebra.

06-Apr-13
StickFlicker reminded me of something else when he mentioned his shipping charges...

After my first trip over, I was also unpleasantly suprised at the crating and shipping cost bill. After some email arguing with the dip & pack and some forum research, I discovered that you do have the right and option to shop around for your shipping company...Don't think that you are at the mercy to whatever company you are recommended to by the dip & packer. They can ship with a few different companies, and they usually use whomever gives them the best commission...Tell the dip & packer that you want a few different quotes, and go online and get your own as well. Althought they don't like to admit it, they will bend with a little pressure...Same goes for the dip & pack or taxidermist that is recommended to you...

I don'tknow what Province you will be hunting, but ask your outfitter beforehand who they use for their clients, and feel free to contact them on your own to get a good faith estimate. Any reputable company will be willing to do this for you. I recommend Trophy Pro SA when hunting out of the Limpopo or Northwwest Province...They have always been fair and honest... Good luck & have fun!

Not sure what Province you are hunting, bu

06-Apr-13
Thanks guys for all of the great advice. I really appreciate it.

Last week, I read Africa Experience by Craig Boddington. He said to expect to double the cost of the safari for other costs (airfare, shipping trophies, etc.). He also advised not to be too surprised if something goes wrong with your shipment.

FHF - I'm not sure which province either. Their info says NW Namibia. They state that their concession is >3,800 square miles. Nearly all of it is free range. They also have access to some hunting in the Caprivi Strip.

06-Apr-13
Mtgoat,

Africa Experience is an excellent primer for anyone considering hunting Africa. It is also a great resource read for veteran African hunters.

Boddington does a great job of keeping things in layman's language and keeping the subject simple.

I wish I would have read his book before my first trip. I would have been a lot more knowledgable of the subject.

06-Apr-13
Buffalo1, It's because of Boddington that I am going to Africa this year. I met him in January at SCI. After chatting for a couple of minutes, I turned to walk away. Then on a whim, asked him who he'd recommend for a first time safari.

I'm not sure why I asked him, because I had no intention of going to Africa this year, or possibly ever. However, he gave me 3 names. I felt good about one of them. I had a couple of follow up calls after the show and booked the hunt. The flights were really the hard part (really hard), but it finally came together.

I haven't been this excited about a hunt in a long time. Perhaps my fist Alaska hunt.

07-Apr-13
If you are like most others, the African bug will bite and you will probably be planning your next hunt over there while on your way back home. My only meeting with Craig B was at the airport in Johannesberg, but I beleive he goes over every year. Hopefully, I will be going back again in 2015.

As others have saidd, keep an open mind about the trophies you take. You dont have to make up your mind on this until you are actually there (i.e., giving instructions to the PH as to the type of cape you would like skinned).

Also keep in mind, good condition African capes or full mount skins are very much in demand within the taxidermy community here in the US. These you can sell pre-tanned which should more than cover their cost of dip/pack and shipping. When you pay to shoot something in Africa you only own the trophy parts of the animal (skull/horns/skin/hoofs). The meat is not part of the price you pay. Most safari operators cook up plenty from the actual game your hunting party shoots but the rest they sell to the local meat market. If you dont want your capes, they will still be skinned carefully and sold or kept by the Safari operator all the same; so you may want to get more of what you already paid for and maybe sell it later for something or as part of a trade for services with your taxidermist.

Anyway, If you go and enjoy everything there is there, you will be back!

08-Apr-13
Just can not imagine why you would want to hunt Africa and not bring back any trophies? You for sure dont hunt Africa for the meat, since you can not bring it back. Do the euro's and skulls for sure. The one problem you will have is they will most likely boil the skulls to the point they will be very brittle and dis-colored and you will find busted pieces when they arrive.

09-Apr-13
Bo is right and they generally don't degrease them either. They will yellow over time. The cost of bringing back salted capes is higher than your taxidermist is willing to buy them. As was mentioned above it cost $1,500 to send a small shipment back. If you ad the costs of the capes, your shipping will go up. You might get $100-$200 for a salted cape if you are lucky. Most taxidermists won't buy it without knowing its condition. And just cause you saw the skinner outfitter take care of your cape doesn't mean anything.

I have alot of experience working on african game and dealing with the hides when they come in. I never paid much for them if I bought them at all. It was easier for me to buy one already tanned here for $200-$300 than go through the hassle of tanning them and hoping that they turned out.

Hugh

09-Apr-13
If you want European mounts, seriously consider having it done in South Africa prior to shipment. You will have to pay to have skulls cleaned and dipped prior to shipment to the US. For a modest additional amount, you can get the completed skull mount. Expect to pay a lot in fees to get you trophies back. I shot one gemsbok and had a European skull mount done there. By the time I paid the taxidermist in Namibia, got it shipped to the US, cleared through customs, etc. I had over $1000 invested in that mount.

09-Apr-13

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Attached are photos of my Africa euro mounts and a nyala rug. I have had good experience with euro mounts being done in Africa.

I have not experienced outrageous cost with shipping or with clearing the U.S. red tape upon arrival in U.S. because the Feds are dealing with finished products- not dip & ship items.

You will have to make the ultimate decision but talk with African taxidermist before you go to Africa,get their price list, get them to give you some U.S. clients, and view their work while in Africa. then make your decision where you want you taxidermy work done. Investigate before you invest.

Also get U.S. taxidermy cost, etc. After you got all the info and see African taxidermy work make your decision.

In regard to shoulder mounts- I would have that work done in U.S.

09-Apr-13

Nyala Rug

09-Apr-13

Impala

09-Apr-13

Nyala

09-Apr-13
In the living room there are 2 kudu, 2 elands, a bushbuck, a springbok and a nyala rug.

In a bedroom there are a nyala and an impala.

Lots of animals for limited amount of space.

I rest my case!!

Just go an enjoy Africa, get the animals and then make your decisions once they are in the salt.

24-Jun-13

Bud Meadows's embedded Photo
I brought back my 2012 trophies from Namibia this May 2013 as excess baggage, and paid a total of $190. My trophies included 2 gemsbok Euro mounts on crests, one 55" kudu Euro mount on crest, 2 tanned gemsbok tails, two baboon skulls on crests and a tanned zebra skin. Did all the paperwork myself, and it took less than 1 hour clearing everything through USF&W at DTW. Saved a fortune and had the mounts home the same day I arrived home. Oh, and it provided a great excuse for going to Africa two years in a row.

Here's what the kudu looked like:

24-Jun-13

Here's a big hartebeest

24-Jun-13

Here's a nice black wildebeest

24-Jun-13
Hey Bud,

Just to clarify, all of the trophies you brought back were finished taxidermy correct?

24-Jun-13
As my post states, these were European mounts and a tanned rug, so they were considered "finished taxidermy". If the baboon skulls weren't mounted on crests, they would have presented challenges in dealing with the USF&W bureaucrats.

11-Feb-14
For Dip & Pac, is anyone still finding the average shipping cost back to the U.S. (Per this thread) to be between $250-275 per trophy?

11-Feb-14
GT,

If you are specifically referring to just the shipping cost itself for the crate(s) of trophies, that estimate is a bit on the high side. If you are referring to the total cost including the dip & pack service, international freight charges, and about 6 other associates fees and costs, then yes the average cost per animal in total would be about $200-275 per head when it's all said and done...

11-Feb-14
I don't think it's fair to claim a "per trophy" estimate to ship trophies through the entire process. There are too many fixed or semi-fixed charges that are the same no matter how many items you ship. I brought back 4 or 5 items the last time, mostly just horns and only two capes, and it was close to $2,500 to get them back. That's over $500 each. However, my friend used the came company and for only $500 more, $3,000, he brought back twice as many bringing the per animal cost down to the figure you are estimating per animal. Those that go into it thinking that it is $200 or so per trophy, and try to save money by just bringing back a few, are going to be very unhappy.

12-Feb-14
StickFlicker brings up a good point... The $200-275 per head estimate was based on my personal experiences with a dip & pack company, freight company, and receivng agent that I have been using for years. It should also be noted that the costs can vary depending on all of these variables as well as the port of entry to where the trophies will be shipped. Unfortunately, there are also some unscrupulous companies who will try to take advantage of those clients that do not know that they have options.

These costs have been discussed in another thread where I mentioned that the client has the right to select a dip & packer, taxidermist, and/or shipping company of their own choosing. Most clients do not even realize that they have options. Most simply go with the recommendations of the outfitter who they are hunting with, and that's fine, but it may not be your best option. A reputable outfitter should be happy to put you in touch with the service provider that they are recommending who should also be just as accommodating in providing you with a good faith estimate of your projected costs before the trophies are in the salt.

13-Feb-14
I have obtained a price listing from the local taxidermist I will be using in Africa before I ever get on the plane to depart the U.S.

I know what the cost will be. Normally it is the listed cost + VAT. I see no reason for surprises. It is a matter of doing homework and planning a trip.

I have found that outfitters normally have price listings of the local taxidermists at the concession for those who did not check the prices before departing the U.S.

14-Feb-14
The cost of my most recent trip which was August of this year was $ 1,858.00 to LAX. Around $500 for Coppersmith to clear and ship to my taxidermist.

(1) Eland - Horns & Cape (1) Waterbuck - Horns & Cape (2) Blesbok - Horns & Cape (3) Impala - Horns & Cape

17-Feb-14
We used Coppersmith on our trophies. If you can time it right, you might be able to pick them up when in town for Dallas Safari Club. They have a number of locations around the country. Might save you a bit of cash picking it up at their location.

They did a great job, BTW.

17-Feb-14
X2 on Coppersmith. Real easy to work with and no surprises.

17-Feb-14
I still don't understand the concept of paying a company like Coppersmith a lot of money to clear a shipment. Why not have the crate shipped to the airport nearest your taxidermist and just have them clear it and skip the middle man payment? That is what I've always done. It just seems like a lot of money to pay.

And I'm not being sarcastic at all....just curious and don't understand.

17-Feb-14
Trophies must be cleared at a USFWS port of entry. Unless you live near one of these and can drive there and do it yourself then someone (broker) must legally clear them. A qualified broker can have them cleared and on their way in a few hours. A novice can as well but be prepared to put in a full day doing it. Most brokers charge about $300 or so for this service (depending on size of shipment) which is not that expensive if you aren't closeby to do it yourself.

17-Feb-14

Ken Moody's Link
This link should help.

17-Feb-14
Thanks Ken!

17-Feb-14
As I live in Canada and was considering a trip to Africa, Ken or anyone familiar, are there special considerations when shipping trophies back to Canada? Ken's link discusses considerations when shipping to the USA and UK but not Canada. Perhaps someone has had experience and could give some advice.

Thanks.

• Sitka Gear