BEA 01-Aug-13
HockeyDad 01-Aug-13
SDHNTR(home) 01-Aug-13
llamapacker 01-Aug-13
BEA 02-Aug-13
Ken 03-Aug-13
BEA 13-Sep-13
01-Aug-13
Anyone ever route thru this airport? The reason I ask, all the cheapest flights to SA seem to go thru there while the more expensive ones don't. I've checked with agents I've seen good things about on bowsite and none seem to route me there. I know common sense applies in any airport, just looking for first hand experiences. I can avoid it for a couple hundred more if it's a known troublesome airport. Thanks in advance

01-Aug-13
At least a half a dozen times, you don't get off the plane. It slows the flight down, few people get off and a few get on, usually cabin crew also. They spray insecticide and do a search. More of an inconvenience than anything. But the more you save on the flight the more you can spend on the hunt!!!

01-Aug-13
Good tho know u don't even get off plane...thanks. Luv this site for info!

01-Aug-13
Thank you for that first hand insight. Awesome info for this first timer to Africa.

01-Aug-13
Not a problem! Enjoy your adventure!!

01-Aug-13
We went through there in 2010. Just be sure when they do the headcount you are in your seat like they say, they may give it away if you don't.

01-Aug-13
Yep...Been through Dakar several times and have yet to leave the plane. I'm usually sleeping when we stop...

01-Aug-13
Perfect. Thanks guys. Yup I'll be sure to be in my seat lol.

01-Aug-13
Last year my flight went through Dakar. Wasnt a problem at all. Just Like BPM says.

01-Aug-13
Don't forget the mystery bug fogger they spray throughout the plane!

01-Aug-13
I went through Dakar just this spring. I've stopped there several times in the past. No problem, and you don't get off the plane. It is a bit of a hassle, and does make the flight another 1-2 hours longer. For just a few dollars, I would choose a route that doesn't go through Dakar. But when the price difference exceeds $100 or more, I put up with the hassle.

This year, my route was nonstop from JFK to Jo'berg, but coming home I flew Jo'berg to Dulles, and had to stop in Dakar. This was the best price for my flights, and I really didn't want to come back through JFK since I had guns as well. Check the routes carefully, know where or if you are stopping, and choose flights accordingly. Bill

02-Aug-13
thanks for all the info. as a result of the replies here i booked the routing through Dakar.......it was 200 cheaper so i fugured thats 100 an hour to sit there lol....

I'll be sure to let ya's know how it goes!

Thanks again

03-Aug-13
Just a fuel stop. If you look at a map of Africa, Dakar is the western most point in Africa.

And like others have posted being sprayed down with insecticide is a real treat.

13-Sep-13
cant wait for that lol.....thanks for all the info guys!

• Sitka Gear