glass eye 05-Aug-13
Crazy_8s 05-Aug-13
MeanMachine 06-Aug-13
BEA 06-Aug-13
Crazy_8s 06-Aug-13
AZ~Rich 08-Aug-13
BEA 09-Aug-13
05-Aug-13
Do Bowcases have to be locked using a TSA lock? Can a regular lock be used instead? I'm using the case to transport archery equipment for international travel. Thanks for all your help!

05-Aug-13
TSA or they will either pickit or cut it!

05-Aug-13
Agree with BPM.

05-Aug-13
they will either pick it or cut it and they won't pick it.

05-Aug-13
What happens if you are there with TSA when they inspect it? Is the first inspection final or will other inspections take place later?

05-Aug-13
Archery is not a firearm, so TSA locks must be used. (With firearms you use a regular padlock as the first inspection is final, I don't think this is the case with archery.)

05-Aug-13
TSA locks for sure.

If you use regular locks and they want to do another inspection along the line it will be cut and you will not have any locks on it at all.

05-Aug-13
Ok thanks!

05-Aug-13
If you're worried about it popping open, use zip-ties and leave extras inside. They will cut them off but if you leave extras inside in plain view they will zip-tie it closed again.

05-Aug-13

Crazy_8s's embedded Photo
Crazy_8s's embedded Photo
I use these Searchalert TSA locks. They are pretty secure and have an indicator that turns red if its opened with a key. Curiously, I have yet to discover one that's been opened.

06-Aug-13
I got the TSA locks. I'm thinking I will stencil a few musical notes and maybe a saxophone or two on my new bowcase.. I hope it survives the trip..

06-Aug-13
the bow case I plan on using is an SKB and it has TSA locka on it but also a place for regular type padlocks. Craxy8's, where you get those locks pictured above...I like that idea

06-Aug-13
Got them off Amazon but I think you can get direct from SearchAlert. The SKB case is great. Mine looks like it was dragged on the Tarmac for miles but my bows are unharmed.

08-Aug-13
My SKS is older (pre TSA locks) and once the case was inspected at initial check-in I had them lock the case with my key, after which they returned key to the ticket agent who had me wait nearby for maybe 10 min so he could give the key back to me. Never any problems once it gets through TSA inspection as it's handled like any other checked in baggage going onto connecting flights. Of course you cannot always bank on how helpful the TSA agents will be at your originating airport. They are very good about such things in Tucson. If you make a big deal about insuring that its locked up after their inspection, you will get them to comply. Might take a little more time though. I always tell them that it is after all a weapon and as such must be locked so that I am not made liable if someone gets easy access, just like a firearm. They understand that.

That said if you have TSA locks it is the better solution, but not absolutely necessary.

09-Aug-13
i was in an airport once and they paged me....my bow was already checked but someone I guess wanted another look. I thought it was pretty decent of them to page me, instead of just cutting the locks....this was just regular padlocks, and it was in the US.....and it was a few years ago.

• Sitka Gear