fenceman 18-Aug-13
Spinedoc 18-Aug-13
Buffalo1 19-Aug-13
BIGHORN 10-Sep-13
bbjavelina 11-Sep-13
Buffalo1 11-Sep-13
11-Aug-13
Looking into Namibia for 2014.

I'm about to search for flights from Frankfurt to Windhoek that partner with United. At least any that don't stop in RSA.

If you've done that, I surely would like to hear about it.

Thanks.

11-Aug-13
Did it a few years back, traveled with my Father and Mother. Dad had a rifle so the lay0ver in Frankfurt was difficult as they wouldn't store his firearm but also couldn't walk around with it. I got a room for a few hours and took a much needed nap. Flights were good Air Namibia had some older planes but they were clean and service was good. I would go thru J-Berg just because of the layover, I can't sleep on flights, really messes me up.

12-Aug-13
I did it a few years back with no problems. I would second getting the day room.

I am going to do the same lay over here in a couple weeks in Frankfurt, but flying into JoBerg this time instead.

12-Aug-13
Martin Man,

I was hoping to avoid the J'burg stop and fly straight to Windhoek. The reason being that it could cut my travel time and, overall, give the baggage monkeys 4 less shots at my stuff.

My curiosity wants to know why you think the J'burg connections is better. Not trying to argue here, just trying to learn something.

12-Aug-13
BPM,

I can understand.

12-Aug-13
This year my destination is South Africa instead of Namibia, I was just referring to the route through Frankfurt with the layover, sorry to confuse.

In 2008 I went straight to Windhoek on Air Namibia from Frankfurt with no issues. Sometimes you can get an upgrade to first class from Frankfurt to Windhoek when you check in at Frankfurt for a few hundred bucks!

12-Aug-13
Martin Man, is correct they had 2 First class upgrades so Mom and Dad got them, I flew coach.

Is it still a 12 hour layover in Frankfurt?

12-Aug-13
For those that are able to swing it, the 1st class lounges in Frankfurt are hard to beat. At least the Continental/United ones. Showers and "beds" for no charge. OK, so they're more like cots, but it's dark and quiet and you're horizontal with a clean pillow.

My partner and I fly business Class on miles built up over the years. Both of us are 65, and if we flew coach it'd be a week before either of us could walk when we got to J'burg.

Lest anyone think ill us for the miles build-up, one year before I retired I spent just over 200 nights in hotels. That's got to be worth something.

Thanks for the replies so far, now I'm off to search the Namibian airline.

12-Aug-13
I am enroute from Windhoek as I speak. Went the ATL > FRA> WDA route and back. Will give you details in day to two. Need a little recovery time. All good stuff.

Tks, Buffalo1

12-Aug-13
Air Namibia is the route to take. Did it two years ago. I will try to find the name of the travel agent from Houston who knew everything about Frankfurt, air Namibia etc. Great flight , service , food. United did not have bag transfer agreement so we had to pick up and clear customs then. I have no idea why anyone would go thru joberg with this option. Our united tickets gave us access to Lufthansa lounge with showers etc. Would check on access via partner airlines , credit cards etc before you go. Good luck!

13-Aug-13
Steve Turner arranged my 2012 route from DFW-->Philly-->Frank-->Wind. US Airways has or had a baggage agreement with Air Namibia, so I didn't have to worry about baggage pickup in Frankfurt. I think most US flights arrive early in the morning while Air Namibia leaves late in the evening. As stated earlier Air Namibia uses older planes from the Lufthansa fleet (parent company) but the flight allows you to sleep all night and get on African time zone. Be aware if your bows are packed in hardcases you will likely have to claim them at the firearm window at the Windhoek airport. I clearly enjoyed the trip much better than my previous trip through JBerg and Tambo.

13-Aug-13
Good stuff guys, thanks a bunch.

13-Aug-13
Also, our PH said to pack camo separate from your bow and I think broad heads as well. The badlands Terra Glide combo bow case/ duffle is great, saves extra bag fee and easy to roll around. Also, check with airline as many allow heavier first bag for international flights. If your camp has a washer dryer you can really pack light. My family of four checked only three bags for 8 day hunt including our three bows

16-Aug-13
United does NOT have a baggage transfer agreement with Air Namibia, so for that reason I flew Delta to and from Frankfort to Windhoek this May. My bags were checked all the way through both ways, no problems. In 2012 I flew United using frequent flyer miles, and it was a pain in the ass to have to pick up bags in Frankfort, go through customs, walk all the way to the terminal where Air Namibia is located, and cool your heels waiting to check back in with Air Namibia. With the long layover it was not fun.

17-Aug-13
Claiming bags in Frankfurt surely would not be my first choice. I'm sure you can't re-check them until an hour or so before the ongoing flight.

In Amsterdam they have lockers for short term rent which make it at least tolerable. I'm assuming Frankfurt does not have these type lockers, right?

Thanks, again.

18-Aug-13
Do not go through Amsterdam. It is against the law to bring broadheads into the country. You risk having your broadheads confiscated & missing your connections if they find them. Check back threads to get more details.

18-Aug-13
We went in 07 and our US Air flight did not have baggage arrangements in Frankfurt with Air Namibia, it was a pain because we had 2 rifles with us. We made out OK. It sounds like things have gotten better. We got the worst service in London. Our bags were checked all the way through this time and they wanted to go underneath the plane and pull our guns out. One of the hunters was an attorney and fed them a line of bull. They finally conceded and let us go.

19-Aug-13
bbjavelina,

I just returned from Namibia 1 week ago tonight (8/12/13). Traveled ATL> FRA > WDH and return via Delta Airlines and Air Namibia. I have sent you a PM with my phone number- willing to respond to your questions and share experiences.

Tks, Buffalo1

10-Sep-13
My wife and I flew from Denver to Frankfurt on Luftansa and, then Air Namibia to Windhoek. Checked our luggage and bows straight through. Spent the night at a place close to the airport and were picked up in the morning.

We wanted to stay in Frankfurt for a week on the way back and they, of course, lost my wife's luggage. Believe it or not, we got it straightened out from Denver. It was sitting right in front of them in Frankfurt but they didn't want to talk to us when we were over there.

11-Sep-13
Thanks for all the info.

As it turned out we're going to RSA instead of Namibia.

At least I got the info for the next trip.

11-Sep-13
Butch,

Who did you decide to book with in RSA?

Greg Duncan aka Buffalo1 Brandon, MS

• Sitka Gear