Jon Simoneau 25-Aug-13
Baggr01 25-Aug-13
Buffalo1 25-Aug-13
Buffalo1 25-Aug-13
Buffalo1 25-Aug-13
Pershing Archer 05-Oct-13
LBG Safaris 13-Nov-14
25-Aug-13
I've developed an interest in the Mountain Reedbuck and would like to hear of any experiences you may have had with them. Especially in the NW province of RSA.

Does and old, overweight, bad kneed, bad hipped, codger stand a chance? I'm not sure if they can be taken from blinds or whether they must be taken on foot.

I would value any info or experiences you may have had.

25-Aug-13
I have seen some, never killed one myself. The hunters who did connect when I was in camp were hunting out of blinds. I would consider it very doable with the right outfitter. Make sure you are very specific as to your needs and wants, as It is not the real common animal like impala, kudu, gemsbok, etc. I think a lot of outfitters have them in the trophy list, but really don't have very many (or any) on their main hunting areas. Make sure they know you want a mountain reedbuck.

--Jim

25-Aug-13
Jim, thanks for that info.

I'm painfully aware that having it on the price list doesn't mean it's doable.

My main targets for next year are Black Wildebeest, Zebra, and Springbuck. Lately the Reedbuck has wormed it's way onto the list. I seem to suffer from "List Creep", at least according to my wife.

If you don't mind saying, I'd like to know where you've hunted and with whom.

Again, thanks.

25-Aug-13
I killed one out of a blind with my recurve a few years back. We were hunting in the mountains and the main target was bushbuck. I had a nice mountain reedbuck come in. He gave me a point blank shot at 7 yards. Went down in site. Its one of my favorite animals that I have taken. In my opinion they act a lot like tiny whitetails. Very skittish. Beautiful animals.

25-Aug-13
Jon,

You make it sound so easy. Congratulations on your trophy.

did you ever get the Bushbuck?

25-Aug-13
on my list too. April 2014 near East London - not sure how abundant, but I will look for them!

25-Aug-13
bbjavelina, yes a few days later I was fortunate enough to take a bushbuck out of the same blind. In 4 or 5 days of hunting that blind I believe I saw 6 or 7 mountain reedbuck. They really are a beautiful little animal.

25-Aug-13

Baggr01's embedded Photo
Baggr01's embedded Photo
I just returned from Africa where I hunted with Harry Nel and African Arrow Safaris. Though not originally on my hit list, I did have an opportunity for a Mountain Reedbuck while hunting for Bushbuck and I took full advantage of it. I actually saw several Mountain Reedbuck during two hunts in the mountains and would highly recommend African Arrow Safaris for all your African bowhunting adventures. I've been fortunate to have hunted with outfitters all over the world including five trips to Africa...all of which were good to great hunts. This was the best ever and it wasn't even close. So if a Mountain Reedbuck is on your bucket list my advise is to contact Harry and start planning your next trip. And yes, old and half crippled folks can get this done...I am one.

I'm told that my Mountain Reedbuck was a great one. I'll take their word for it and let you make up your own mind. Pay no attention to the date on the picture. i didn't realize I had the wrong date in the camera until much later in the hunt.

25-Aug-13
My hunting partner shot a nice one with DVS in 2011. He can post a picture if he would like. I believe he has a video posted in the video section. I'm planning on shooting one next year as well...neat little critter.

25-Aug-13

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
In 2009 while hunting in Western Cape province, I had three (2 does and 1 buck) come by my elevated tree stand. I missed my shot on the buck and quite frankly I was not devastated by the miss in that the horns were not symetrical.

25-Aug-13

25-Aug-13

05-Oct-13

Pershing Archer's embedded Photo
Pershing Archer's embedded Photo
I shot a mnt. reedbuck with dare to bowhunt in 2010. shot it over water saw several animals. check with lammie I'm sure he can hook you up. He's a sponsor on this sight.

13-Nov-14

LBG Safaris's embedded Photo
LBG Safaris's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear